ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tony Gonzalez going pro (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156530)

noa 01-11-2007 04:05 PM

Tony Gonzalez going pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2727947

Gonzalez skipping senior season; enters NFL draft

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Speedy wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, a deep threat and the second-leading receiver for Ohio State, will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

"Obviously, it's the toughest thing I've ever had to do in my life," Gonzalez said at a news conference Thursday in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

Two other Buckeyes are contemplating an early move to the NFL. Tailback Antonio Pittman will announce his decision on Monday at his Akron high school. Wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., who sprained his left foot in the BCS national championship game, has not made up his mind, his father said Thursday.

An Academic All-American, Gonzalez was an All-Big Ten selection. He finished the season with 51 receptions for 734 yards and eight touchdowns -- all career highs.

Gonzalez, a philosophy major, is one of the most popular players on the roster. He's also known for sleeping in an oxygen-depletion tent and his knack for cooking Cuban food.

Hammock Parties 01-11-2007 04:06 PM

I think drafting this guy would be fun just so we could have two Tony G's on the roster.

StcChief 01-11-2007 04:08 PM

So the jersey. A Gonzalez, T Gonzalez
Guess Gonzo get's first choice.

crazycoffey 01-11-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
I think drafting this guy would be fun just so we could have two Tony G's on the roster.

He looks like a decent reciever aka - can catch the ball. And if he's really that fast, then I could be behind getting him.

FAX 01-11-2007 04:09 PM

I wonder if he could be converted to TE?

FAX

JBucc 01-11-2007 04:09 PM

If we can't or don't pick a WR in the first this guy or Steve Smith would be good choices later on.

ZootedGranny 01-11-2007 04:10 PM

Well, there's that, and the fact that he's actually a good WR.

As far as major program #2 WRs, I'd rather have Steve Smith from USC.

Chief Nute 01-11-2007 04:10 PM

I didnt want to sound like a homer......but I think this guy would fit our offense very well......since Herm seems to want to use more possession-type receivers. You also wont find a better character guy, and a harder worker. The dude actually cried as he announced his intentions today. Runs a 4.3 40 as well.......

And we could get him in the 2nd round, while we upgrade at DT in the first

noa 01-11-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Nute
I didnt want to sound like a homer......but I think this guy would fit our offense very well......since Herm seems to want to use more possession-type receivers. You also wont find a better character guy, and a harder worker. The dude actually cried as he announced his intentions today. Runs a 4.3 40 as well.......

I'm sold. I think he could be a good fit.

crazycoffey 01-11-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Nute

as long as we've addressed the OT problems with FA signings.

El Jefe 01-11-2007 04:14 PM

Chief Nute, I dont see Gonzalez going in the 2nd if he does its gonna be late 2nd early third IMO. He is a great possesion reciever and he has the ability to break a long one.

Thig Lyfe 01-11-2007 04:15 PM

Sounds like he'd be a good add. Assuming Jarrett and Johnson are gone already in the first round, he'd be a great 2nd round pick.

Chief Nute 01-11-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoLJ
Chief Nute, I dont see Gonzalez going in the 2nd if he does its gonna be late 2nd early third IMO. He is a great possesion reciever and he has the ability to break a long one.

That is very possible. There is nothing "special" about Anthony G. He is very fast....but I'm not sure he is "football fast"....but he is an excellent route runner. He will impress lots of GM's with his intelligence, and he will interview extremely well. Good team guy. The further he goes down the draft chart, the better deal someone will get.

I've said for 3 months now that if I were an NFL GM, I'd rather have Gonzalez any day of the week than Ted Ginn.

Thig Lyfe 01-11-2007 04:20 PM

I see Gonzalez as a Colston-type sleeper who certainly won't fall to the seventh, but could be an out-of-nowhere #1 receiver next season.

BIG_DADDY 01-11-2007 04:27 PM

Well if he didn't work out he we could always get him in the kitchen to whip up a good batch of some of Fidels finest Frijoles Negros.