ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News "Obesity is a disease not a decision" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274334)

Bambi 07-06-2013 03:00 PM

Well whatever we've been trying hasn't been working so might as well go the opposite.

CrazyPhuD 07-06-2013 03:02 PM

Stupidity has greater proof of being an actual disease but we don't see anyone trying to 'cure' it.....

Chief Roundup 07-06-2013 03:18 PM

You guys are full of shit. I eat 3 big meals every day snack all I want and do whatever I want. It is almost impossible for me to put weight on and I am in my middle 40's. People are very envious of me because of that and always have been.

J Diddy 07-06-2013 03:42 PM

I could totally see how somebody can say that it is not a disease but sheer laziness, however, what brings on the laziness?

A thyroid condition or other physiological causes can impact the ability to "just get off your ass." Furthermore so can a mental condition such as depression. Not to mention the impact of medication on a person's metabolism or even genetic makeup.

Seems it is rather easy for someone to sit back and call people lazy when they are not predisposed to conditions that could impact metabolism etc.

Who's the lazy one?

The one that eats whatever, does no exercise, and still gains no weight or the one that follows a diet, exercises, and because of a medical condition gains weight.

keg in kc 07-06-2013 03:59 PM

I have to watch what I eat like a hawk, and it's getting worse the older I get. Even though I exercise between 12 and 20 hours a week. The reality has settled in that I'll never be thin, I'll never reach my 'target weight', but I'll continue to do what I can to make sure I'll never be obese again either.

notorious 07-06-2013 04:02 PM

My rule of thumb:

If a person's condition improves by simply being locked in a room for a month while being fed bread and water then it's not a disease.

Mosbonian 07-06-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9795420)
I have to watch what I eat like a hawk, and it's getting worse the older I get. Even though I exercise between 12 and 20 hours a week. The reality has settled in that I'll never be thin, I'll never reach my 'target weight', but I'll continue to do what I can to make sure I'll never be obese again either.

I am in the same boat...if I don't watch what i eat it stays with me. I have to maintain vigilence in keeping myself "in shape" by medical standards.

I guess I choose not to throw stones because i found as I got older it got harder to keep the same body shape/size as I had when I was in my 40's. There are too many medical conditions that can contribute to weight gain that most can't/won't see.

Ceej 07-06-2013 04:13 PM

Obesity -> Bullying -> suicide.

BAN AMERICA!!

CrazyPhuD 07-06-2013 04:20 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4082007_31.jpg
Guaranteed to lose > 10lbs in under 10 seconds.

Sannyasi 07-06-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9795396)
I could totally see how somebody can say that it is not a disease but sheer laziness, however, what brings on the laziness?

A thyroid condition or other physiological causes can impact the ability to "just get off your ass." Furthermore so can a mental condition such as depression. Not to mention the impact of medication on a person's metabolism or even genetic makeup.

Seems it is rather easy for someone to sit back and call people lazy when they are not predisposed to conditions that could impact metabolism etc.

Who's the lazy one?

The one that eats whatever, does no exercise, and still gains no weight or the one that follows a diet, exercises, and because of a medical condition gains weight.

Someone reading this thread with no prior knowledge would think that obese people are working their asses off to stay obese while people at a healthy weight are lounging around eating Cheetos. It just isn't true in 99% of cases.

I am sympathetic to all of the reasons why someone may be obese, and I definitely think addiction is a factor. But I don't think people should use those reasons as excuses either.

J Diddy 07-06-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9795438)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4082007_31.jpg
Guaranteed to lose > 10lbs in under 10 seconds.

Only way I'm loses 10 pounds in under 10 seconds is if I put my pecker in there.

Silock 07-06-2013 04:46 PM

ITT: excuses.

Valiant 07-06-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9795098)
Long-term, health care costs more for the healthy. They live longer and die slower, more costly deaths.

Bullshit. The healthy pay monthly and never use it til later in life.

Fatasses use it contantly. Now that they are classifying it as a disease they can bill more for it. In turn driving up premiums.

J Diddy 07-06-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9795453)
Bullshit. The healthy pay monthly and never use it til later in life.

Fatasses use it contantly. Now that they are classifying it as a disease they can bill more for it. In turn driving up premiums.

That's a hell of a stretch there.

cdcox 07-06-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9795213)
Over-eating causes obesity (a condition) which causes diseases (like heart disease and diabetes).

This is the same line of shit they pull with alcoholism. Alcoholism is not a disease. It's a self inflicted condition created by the choices that person has made. Obesity is a self inflicted condition that raises your chance of all kinds of diseases, but people are not simply 'stricken' with obesity unless they have a legit medical condition (as some do).

At some point the alcoholic no longer has a choice whether they drink or not. Their brain is wired differently such that the decision making pathways are bypassed. This is a medical fact. Can they recover? Yes with treatment. But it is very unlikely for them to get better through will power. Sounds like a disease to me.

Food triggers the same pleasure centers that alcohol does. To the same extent to where the brain gets rewired? I don't know. I do know that if we had less obesity, we'd be better off as a society. If that means making treatment more available and calling it a disease to get more medical attention focused on it, I don't see the problem with it.