ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King coaching candidates for 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267068)

RealSNR 11-26-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9153916)
So are you guys convinced on the best way to proceed?

Hire a GM that hires the coaches? Or, go coach first - then the GM?

May be hard to do, but is there a model as to how the consistently competitive teams have done it over the last 10 years?

Don't really care at this point. We should hire a GM and coach who don't ****ing suck. That's my opinion.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 02:56 PM

My list, as of today, is the following:

1. Bruce Arians
2. David Shaw
3. Vic Fangio

Arians has done an amazing job with a rookie QB and a roster that's been nearly completely turned over.

David Shaw hasn't missed a beat since Harbaugh left for San Francisco and has his team playing in the Pac-12 Championship game without Andrew Luck.

Vic Fangio is coordinating possibly the best defense in the NFL. And while the Chiefs don't have the equivalent inside backers to Ahmad Brooks and Patrick Willis, they have Hali, Houston and Johnson, not to mention Flowers, Poe and Berry. I have to think that he'd have the defense in the Top Five in no time.

I'd also like to believe that Fangio understands the importance of a Franchise QB, having spent enough time with Harbaugh, Luck, Smith and now Kaepernick to understand it's necessary to win consistently.

I would be very happy with any of those three as head coach of the 2013 Chiefs.

Sorter 11-26-2012 03:14 PM

^^Brooks is an OLB. Bowman plays inside.

Frankie 11-26-2012 03:16 PM

David Shaw.

He's doing just as well as (or better than) Harbaugh, WITHOUT ANDREW LUCK.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9154089)
^^Brooks is an OLB. Bowman plays inside.

Thanks. Going off of memory. Too many B's.

:D

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9154092)
David Shaw.

He's doing just as well as (or better than) Harbaugh, WITHOUT ANDREW LUCK.

That's hard to argue.

I'm sure he'll be a strong candidate in several cities, especially if Harbaugh get his team to the Super Bowl this year.

RealSNR 11-26-2012 03:20 PM

Shaw has also worked as an offensive quality control coach in the NFL. He clearly knows a thing or two about gameplanning in the pros.

Sorter 11-26-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154096)
Thanks. Going off of memory. Too many B's.

:D

We good bruh
http://i53.tinypic.com/24lpwes.jpg

1ChiefsDan 11-26-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9153922)
A guy that just wants to score and then score some more and not worry about the defense sounds good to me. He will let the D-coordinator do their job and will concentrate on his.

Vermiel says hi. :huh:

mr. tegu 11-26-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverdanchiefsfan (Post 9154138)

Well the problem then was not in philosophy but in the way the team was built. The defense was basically ignored for years. I am confident that we have enough players on both sides to be successful (assuming a new QB named Geno).

RealSNR 11-26-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverdanchiefsfan (Post 9154138)

Vermeil's problem was that he felt indebted to his coach and player friends. Overly loyal to a fault.

A coach like him could have made it work if he stepped back and said, "I have no ****ing clue what I'm doing when it comes to defense; I will try my best to find a defensive coach who knows his shit and what he needs exactly to make it work." You look at a guy like Mike McCarthy who could probably have tracked down some of his old buddies to coach his defense (which he kind of did when he got Bob Sanders) but then decided it wasn't working out. He got the team to hire Dom Capers, a man he had pretty much no connection to, other than he needed a good defensive coach and Capers was looking for a job.

If Vermeil had done that long ago and simply stepped away completely from that side of the ball, the defense never would have sucked as bad as it did. Yes, we still had a HUGE gap in talent, but if the new coach came in early in the process and said, "WTF are tards like Glenn Cadrez doing here? Get them out" we probably could have avoided the large headache.

King_Chief_Fan 11-26-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9153916)
So are you guys convinced on the best way to proceed?

Hire a GM that hires the coaches? Or, go coach first - then the GM?

May be hard to do, but is there a model as to how the consistently competitive teams have done it over the last 10 years?

well, with Pioli still here, you can't go coach first, who wants to work with him?
I am good with picking what appears to be the best coach first, hire the GM and let the coach and GM partner to fix this pig.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9154162)
Well the problem then was not in philosophy but in the way the team was built. The defense was basically ignored for years. I am confident that we have enough players on both sides to be successful (assuming a new QB named Geno).

The defense was not in any way, shape or form, ignored.

The Chiefs front office made terrible, horrific personnel decisions and constantly reached for players in the draft, overpaid free agents and made bad trades.

Sims, Freeman, Surtain, Kendrick Bell, Shawn Barber, William Bartee, Siavii, Downing and so on were all brought in to improve the defense, yet each and every player was a failure.

It was NOT for a lack of trying.

DeezNutz 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

Shaw seems pretty damn intriguing. No chance of getting the likes of this type of candidate with Pioli is place, though. Seems unlikely at the very least.

The Franchise 11-26-2012 04:00 PM

I wonder if Gamble wouldn't bring in Shaw at HC? It'd be like having his own Harbaugh to run his team.