ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Quarterbackery: Round 1, Heat 10 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300299)

Rain Man 06-09-2016 09:05 PM

Quarterbackery: Round 1, Heat 10

Today we pit an original AFL team that has never beaten the Chiefs in a playoff game, versus an NFC team that has never beaten the Chiefs in a championship game. I present the New England Patriots versus the New Orleans Saints.

New Orleans has only existed for 49 years if you're doing the math, but that's close enough.

Patriots

Tom Brady - 14 seasons (and current starter)
Steve Grogan - 11
Drew Bledsoe - 8
Jim Plunkett - 4
Tony Eason - 3
Hugh Millen - 2
Babe Parilli - 2 (led team for 6 seasons, but only 2 since 1966)
Matt Cassel - 1
Marc Wilson - 1
Doug Flutie - 1
Joe Kapp - 1
Mike Taliafarro - 1
Tom Sherman - 1

They've produced 16 pro bowls, led by Tom Brady with 11.

Saints

Drew Brees - 10 seasons
Archie Manning - 9
Aaron Brooks - 5
Bobby Hebert - 5
Jim Everett - 3
Billy Kilmer - 3
Billy Joe Tolliver - 2
Dave Wilson - 2
Ken Stabler - 2
Jeff Blake - 1
Heath Shuler - 1
Wade Wilson - 1
Steve Walsh - 1
Richard Todd - 1
Bobby Douglass - 1
Ed Hargett -1
Gary Cuozzo - 1

They produced 10 pro bowls, led by Drew Brees with 8.

Rain Man 06-09-2016 09:16 PM

My thoughts:

I don't know why the Patriots stayed with Grogan so long and don't quite know how to process that. He was stable but not impressive. But at the top end they have Tom Brady, who is pretty good, and Drew Bledsoe, who is really good. Overall, they've had a top-notch QB for about half of the last 50 years, which I would rate as somewhat strong. Maybe it's even very strong, but I can't quite go there. I could believe it, though.

On the Saints side, Brees is obviously good. I really don't know enough about Archie Manning. I know he whines a lot about being drafted by a weak team and implies that he'd've been more famous if his teammates weren't such losers, but I don't know if that's true. I'm an Hebert fan and think he was very good. So they had Brees as a big star and then Manning and Hebert on the next tier down. I would rate them about average, but could see them being rated somewhat strong. New England beats them, though.

Gadzooks 06-09-2016 09:29 PM

"I'm an Hebert fan".
I've never known how to approach the issue of a silent consonant with the word "a" as a predecessor. "I'm a Hebert fan".

Rain Man 06-09-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 12268175)
"I'm an Hebert fan".
I've never known how to approach the issue of a silent consonant with the word "a" as a predecessor. "I'm a Hebert fan".

I can handle the silent consonant. It's the silent vowel in opossum that confounds me.

Gadzooks 06-09-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12268208)
I can handle the silent consonant. It's the silent vowel in opossum that confounds me.

Only red necks call them "Possums". The elite of society call them "Opossums" pronouncing the leading vowel..

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-10-2016 04:59 AM

LMAO

Every hates the Pats.

Why Not? 06-10-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 12268218)
Only red necks call them "Possums". The elite of society call them "Opossums" pronouncing the leading vowel..

I don't know, man. I'm pretty elite and I call them "possums"

Mile High Mania 06-10-2016 09:30 AM

Worst pairing ever...

Rain Man 06-10-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 12268613)
Worst pairing ever...

New England and New Orleans, or opossums and Hebert? I could see opossums and Hebert being a good match.