ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   GRETZ: Gunther still a loon (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164040)

Hammock Parties 06-04-2007 01:14 PM

GRETZ: Gunther still a loon

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/06...her_manifesto/

GRETZ: Living the Gunther Manifesto
Jun 04, 2007, 8:53:44 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Gunther Cunningham smiles a lot these days.

Events like this past weekend’s mini-camp can generate even more smiles from the Chiefs defensive coordinator.

“We’ve got something building here,” Cunningham said. “This is what I was talking about, this is what I wanted to do when I came back here. I wanted to bring defense back to Kansas City.”

This is the fourth season Cunningham will be in charge of the defense in his second tour of duty with the team. When he came back to join Dick Vermeil’s staff in 2004, he found a defense in tatters on the field, on the roster and in the minds of just about everyone at Arrowhead Stadium. There was no longer a defensive culture in the building.

That was far different from Cunningham’s first trip through Arrowhead. When he arrived in 1995, defense ruled the roost for the Chiefs under Marty Schottenheimer. Cunningham added to that as defensive coordinator.

All that was gone by 2004 and Cunningham’s frustration grew on a daily basis. Whatever emotion comes after the feeling of beating your head against a brick wall is where he resided on most days. There was marginal talent, no fire and no defensive attitude. He had been through many things in over 30 years of coaching, but nothing sapped his energy and passion more than the 2004 and 2005 seasons. That overwhelming frustration led to the “Gunther Manifesto.”

Cunningham poured out his feelings by producing an eight-page document called simply: “Culture of the Chiefs Defense.” It was a game plan on how to change the prevailing attitudes he found at Arrowhead Stadium when it came to his side of the football. Only a handful of people have seen the full manifesto, and it won’t be coming to a Barnes & Noble any time soon. It begins with three simple statements:

1. The embedded beliefs, values and behavior patterns carry tremendous voltage.
2. It doesn’t make sense to try to change culture according to the old rules.
3. The rules themselves are part of the problem.

The rules changed last year when Herm Edwards became head coach. Now, as the team prepares for the second season of the Edwards Era, there has been a huge culture shift on the team, and especially on the defense.

Production and performance improved on that side of the football in 2006, as the Chiefs climbed from the lower ranks of the league to the middle of the pack.

But mediocre is not something that satisfies Edwards and Cunningham. They want more, much more. This isn’t about just one game, or one season. This is about re-establishing a defensive culture.

Right now, still three months from the start of the 2007 season, the Chiefs are much closer to realizing the theme of the Gunther Manifesto.

“The first priority was to get some tough guys and I think that first draft last year is the keynote of the plan,” said Cunningham. “We got Tamba (Hali), Jarrad (Page) and Bernard (Pollard.)

“This year, we knew what we wanted out of the draft on defense. We believe we have dotted the I’s and crossed the T’s by the type of people we are getting. Each guy we drafted fits not only the overall personality of what this defense is going to be, but the personality of the head coach and all the assistants and definitely what I believe.”

The turnover has been dramatic. Just check out the defensive starters from the opener two years ago to the projected starters for this season’s opener in Houston:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images...81830500539748

(Author’s note: the projected starters for the ‘07 opener were not named by Edwards or Cunningham. They are my assessment.)

Right now there are only two defensive players still on the roster who were part of the team before Cunningham returned: Wesley and defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson.

“We’ve looked at a lot of players, at a lot of tape and there was a commitment made by Carl (Peterson) and Bill Kuharich (VP of player personnel) to find us players,” Cunningham said.

“But the guy making it go is Herm.”

Coming on Wednesday: More about the Chiefs defense and the seemingly unlikely football marriage of Herm Edwards and Gunther Cunningham

CoMoChief 06-04-2007 01:20 PM

GO GUNTHER!!!!!

Gunther is the greatest DC in NFL history.

Hammock Parties 06-04-2007 01:22 PM

Honestly...a ****ing manifesto?

ChiefsfaninPA 06-04-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

InChiefsHeaven 06-04-2007 01:25 PM

Ever notice that at the beginning of OTA's, Gretz does an article on Gun that always seems to start out with "Gunther Cunningham is smiling a lot these days..."

I swear, every season there is an article that talks about how absolutely giddy 'ol Gun is over this year's defense. Last year was the first good year, let's hope it's a trend. But if you search on his articles, I'm positive you will find that in 2004 and again in 2005, Gun was positively giggly like a school girl over how great his defense was going to be this year... :rolleyes:

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-04-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

This man is totally invested in his job. It's not just a job... it really is a passion. I love it.

Chiefnj 06-04-2007 01:33 PM

Those 2005 "bums" were the players Gun wanted. Hell, in 2004 Gunther said it wasn't the players, it was the scheme.

htismaqe 06-04-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
Those 2005 "bums" were the players Gun wanted. Hell, in 2004 Gunther said it wasn't the players, it was the scheme.

Yep.

Dr. Johnny Fever 06-04-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Good point.

Kerberos 06-04-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

It's a "Mission Statement"

Gunther will be having lunch with his agent sometime this week to discuss it!

Pushead2 06-04-2007 02:02 PM

This board is for the Chiefs?? I forgot.

HemiEd 06-04-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Eggsactly! He is always capable of finding an excuse. I still think Carl forced this guy back on Vermeil to ease his own concience. Kind of like bringing back Donnie Edwards.
I like Carl, but everyone has their faults.

Logical 06-04-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Absofuckinglutely

Reerun_KC 06-04-2007 02:42 PM

So should someone start the www.firegunther.com website now?

Get a rope!

CoMoChief 06-04-2007 02:51 PM

Anyone ever been to this site?

www.guntheristhebestdcinthenfl.com