ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Confederate States of America… (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134281)

Megbert 01-21-2006 01:16 PM

Confederate States of America…

This movie takes a satirical look at what may have happened if the South won.

C.S.A. The Movie

SLAG 01-21-2006 01:25 PM

Yeah it was done by a director here in KS.

I heard it was intereting

Dunit35 01-21-2006 01:29 PM

Looks cool.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-21-2006 01:30 PM

I'm sure a bunch of rednecks will be there to take it over.

reporter-- Why are you here?

redneck-- This movie is what should've happened!!! Slavery, yeah!!!

Rausch 01-21-2006 01:36 PM

I love the "What if" idea but I wish is was more of a serious approach.

Spicy McHaggis 01-21-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG02
Yeah it was done by a director here in KS.

I heard it was intereting

Yeah Wilmott is his name. He was my professor last year, pretty cool guy.

SLAG 01-21-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
Yeah Wilmott is his name. He was my professor last year, pretty cool guy.

My Cousin is the KS film Comish. and he got a couple of copys of this movies and also went with him to a couple of festivals.

I havent seen it my cousin said it was so-so

Reaper16 01-21-2006 02:32 PM

Its definitely worth a watch. Great thing about it is, the CSA depicted in the movie isn't that different from the USA.

RealSNR 01-21-2006 03:45 PM

That's bullshit. If the South won the war there still would have been a US. When we won the American Revolution, we didn't take over Britain, now did we?

I agree with Rausch. A serious view of this movie would've been much cooler.

Dunit35 01-21-2006 03:47 PM

We'd be the same USA now if the Confederates won the war.

Calcountry 01-21-2006 03:48 PM

What if I would have joined the Navy when I dropped out of Grad School? I wouldn't have my two kids.

What if the bullet was an inch closer to my dads Heart in North Korea? I wouldn't exist, neither my kids.

You can play all that mind shit all you want, it don't mean jack. It is what it is.

This is, IMHO, just another way to foment racial attitudes and pave the way to reparations.

What if the Indians would have kicked the "white man" back to England? What if Christopher Columbus ship would have sunk before he could have told Spain about the "new world"? They would have rightfully assumed he sailed off the edge of the earth.

Dunit35 01-21-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35
Looks cool.

I take back this statement. The trailer was really really stupid. None of this stuff would have ever happend.

milkman 01-21-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
What if I would have joined the Navy when I dropped out of Grad School? I wouldn't have my two kids.

What if the bullet was an inch closer to my dads Heart in North Korea? I wouldn't exist, neither my kids.

You can play all that mind shit all you want, it don't mean jack. It is what it is.

This is, IMHO, just another way to foment racial attitudes and pave the way to reparations.

What if the Indians would have kicked the "white man" back to England? What if Christopher Columbus ship would have sunk before he could have told Spain about the "new world"? They would have rightfully assumed he sailed off the edge of the earth.

"Rightfully" assumed?

Thig Lyfe 01-21-2006 04:18 PM

Well, first off if the South had won we'd all be speaking French or in British accents. The US was the only strong nation in the western hemisphere at the time, and if split France and Britain would find it much easier to sail to North America and expand their empires with no strong government in their way.

But even if they were to survive that, there are many more flaws.

1. In the trailer kids are pledging allegiance to the Confederate States of America. This would never happen because the confederates were pro-state's rights and anti-federal government. They'd be saying, "I pledge allegiance to Georgia" or "I pledge allegiance to Vermont."

2. Slavery would not coexist with the technology portrayed in the movie. One of two things would have to happen. One, the states would have industrialized and slavery would have died out naturally because cotton and agricultrue in general would not be nearly as important. Or, the South would have stayed with their completely one-dimensional economy based on cotton and never modernize, or if they did it would not be at all to the extent the movie shows. Neither scenario explains why slavery would exist in the North anyway since there had never been much of a reason for it there in the first place, what with its lack of a real cash crop.

3. Slavery was, for the most part, not based on racial superiority. It was based on economic necessity to the south. They needed it to maintain the planting aristocracy which kept its economy upright. There's no reason to think that the south would sympathize with Hitler. Of course racism was a factor in slavery, but slavery was not maintained just for racism's sake.

4. Go back to the classroom scene. That would likely not happen in the first place unless it was a private classroom with the sons and daughters of plantation owners. These planters controlled society in the south, and since they could afford to have their childred attend privately or overseas they had no reason to fund public education. The literacy rate of this nation would be ridiculously low. This is of course assuming the same economic structure would be preserve.

A more serious look would be a much more enjoyable and educational movie.

trndobrd 01-21-2006 04:24 PM

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28559

carlos3652 01-21-2006 04:38 PM

wow... :shake:

Hammock Parties 01-21-2006 04:39 PM

Slavery would still have been abolished, eventually.

This film is probably more liberal trash. As soon as I saw "Spike Lee presents" my bullshit-o-meter went off.

Calcountry 01-21-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
"Rightfully" assumed?

It was a joke layered in the context of the time in which it is set.

Valiant 01-21-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf
Well, first off if the South had won we'd all be speaking French or in British accents. The US was the only strong nation in the western hemisphere at the time, and if split France and Britain would find it much easier to sail to North America and expand their empires with no strong government in their way.

1. In the trailer kids are pledging allegiance to the Confederate States of America. This would never happen because the confederates were pro-state's rights and anti-federal government. They'd be saying, "I pledge allegiance to Georgia" or "I pledge allegiance to Vermont."

2. Slavery would not coexist with the technology portrayed in the movie. One of two things would have to happen. One, the states would have industrialized and slavery would have died out naturally because cotton and agricultrue in general would not be nearly as important. Or, the South would have stayed with their completely one-dimensional economy based on cotton and never modernize, or if they did it would not be at all to the extent the movie shows. Neither scenario explains why slavery would exist in the North anyway since there had never been much of a reason for it there in the first place, what with its lack of a real cash crop.

3. Slavery was, for the most part, not based on racial superiority. It was based on economic necessity to the south. They needed it to maintain the planting aristocracy which kept its economy upright. There's no reason to think that the south would sympathize with Hitler. Of course racism was a factor in slavery, but slavery was not maintained just for racism's sake.

4. Go back to the classroom scene. That would likely not happen in the first place unless it was a private classroom with the sons and daughters of plantation owners. These planters controlled society in the south, and since they could afford to have their childred attend privately or overseas they had no reason to fund public education. The literacy rate of this nation would be ridiculously low. This is of course assuming the same economic structure would be preserve.

Do not confuse history and facts with this movie, people would not understand... Slavery did not have a damn thing to do with the reason for the war...

Ultra Peanut 01-21-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
It was a joke layered in the context of the time in which it is set.

Aside from the fact that very few people with any sort of education actually believed the earth was flat at that point in history.

Alternate history is interesting. I've only heard a little about this, so I'm not sure whether this is any good or not, but it's intriguing stuff.

Rausch 01-21-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psicosis
Aside from the fact that very few people with any sort of education actually believed the earth was flat at that point in history.

Alternate history is interesting. I've only heard a little about this, so I'm not sure whether this is any good or not, but it's intriguing stuff.

There was a pretty good movie a few years back with Rutger Hauer called Fatherland was pretty good.

Quote:

Fictional account of what might have happend if Hitler had won the war. It is now the 1960s and Germany's war crimes have so far been kept a secret. Hitler wants to talk peace with the US president. An American journalist and a German homicide cop stumble into a plot to destroy all evidence of the genocide.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109779/

It unfolds kid of slowly, and it doesn't have the best acting in the world, but it's a pretty good flick.

Messier 01-21-2006 07:40 PM

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I get sick of all of you flexing your giant brains. It seems as if all of you are experts on every topic under the sun, I wouldn't need to go to college because I would be able to find an expert on American history, science, or government, anything right here. I know next to nothing about any of these topics and yet I studied them all, except government...and science...uh come to think of it I didn't really study any of these I took the minimum requirment (one 3 hour course for each) to graduate. My guess is that most people on the planet are full of crap when they talk like professors about a given subject. We're all ready to claim to know more than people who spend thier lives studying something, football included. I wish there was more humility on here, it would be oh so refresing to hear people say, gee, I don't agree, or it sounds wrong but what do I know I'm no expert. Instead of, well here are the 157 ways so-n-so is incorrect. No, this rant is not for people with the real study time under their belt, if you want to speak up more power to you. But I just can't stand the guy who's a plumber and dabbles in astrophysics shooting off like he's Carl Sagan (No disrespect to plumbers, or astrophysicists intended.)

Skip Towne 01-21-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I get sick of all of you flexing your giant brains. It seems as if all of you are experts on every topic under the sun, I wouldn't need to go to college because I would be able to find an expert on American history, science, or government, anything right here. I know next to nothing about any of these topics and yet I studied them all, except government...and science...uh come to think of it I didn't really study any of these I took the minimum requirment (one 3 hour course for each) to graduate. My guess is that most people on the planet are full of crap when they talk like professors about a given subject. We're all ready to claim to know more than people who spend thier lives studying something, football included. I wish there was more humility on here, it would be oh so refresing to hear people say, gee, I don't agree, or it sounds wrong but what do I know I'm no expert. Instead of, well here are the 157 ways so-n-so is incorrect. No, this rant is not for people with the real study time under their belt, if you want to speak up more power to you. But I just can't stand the guy who's a plumber and dabbles in astrophysics shooting off like he's Carl Sagan (No disrespect to plumbers, or astrophysicists intended.)

Shut up, n00b.

Rausch 01-21-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

http://www.just4yucks.com/images/5x/51062.gif

stumppy 01-21-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Shut up, n00b.

ROFL

Gee Skip, I know you've got some real, practical time invested in beating down the n00bs around here but you may have been a litle harsh.

But what do I know ? I'm no expert on the subject. I bow to your expertise in n00b abuse. Carry on.

:D

melbar 01-21-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf

Very nicely put. I was also very interested untill I saw it was a spike lee film. Slavery only effected about 6% of the southern population. History is always written by the victors.The South had a legal right to declare its independance from the Union. Technically the North invaded the South. The idea that the North rode down like knights in shining armor fighting a moral battle to liberate the slaves is just absurd propaganda. The end of slavery was a wonderfull effect, but as stated above it surely would have died out anyway.

Skip Towne 01-21-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy
ROFL

Gee Skip, I know you've got some real, practical time invested in beating down the n00bs around here but you may have been a litle harsh.

But what do I know ? I'm no expert on the subject. I bow to your expertise in n00b abuse. Carry on.

:D

There's nothing as bad as pontificating n00bs. I'm getting them off my lawn.

Ultra Peanut 01-21-2006 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

:spock:

Earthling 01-21-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar
Slavery only effected about 6% of the southern population. .

Cannot agree with that. I figure slavery affected the entire southern population in one way or another, unless one was blind, deaf, and dumb. Even so, I agree with the thinking of states vs federal rights as the primary cause. (Of the civil war)

luv 01-21-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Is this person serious? You want humility? Go to a church website.

Fox River 01-21-2006 10:38 PM

They were two countries that were very much unalike. The North was more industrial and had a strong manufacturing base. The South was mostly into Farming. It still is mostly into farming. That is one of their problems even now. They are still clinging too hard to the past.

melbar 01-21-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Codger
Cannot agree with that. I figure slavery affected the entire southern population in one way or another, unless one was blind, deaf, and dumb. Even so, I agree with the thinking of states vs federal rights as the primary cause. (Of the civil war)

Let me rephrase that. It only DIRECTLY affected 6% of the Pop. The war was mostly about economics. The North was getting the lions share of industrialization, and was threatening to take away the main source of income and wealth in the South. What they failed to realize is that actually having to pay their workers would spread the "wealth" so to speak, and after a tough year or so spark the economy.

Earthling 01-21-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar
Let me rephrase that. It only DIRECTLY affected 6% of the Pop. The war was mostly about economics. The North was getting the lions share of industrialization, and was threatening to take away the main source of income and wealth in the South. What they failed to realize is that actually having to pay their workers would spread the "wealth" so to speak, and after a tough year or so spark the economy.

That makes more sense. :thumb:

tk13 01-21-2006 10:52 PM

I think the reflective property of slavery coexacted the transitive property of coronary artery disease, leaving the 3rd bar of every Rolling Stones song dissolving into nuclear fission with the 3rd down efficiency of Super Bowl teams.

Sorry, just flexing my giant brain.

Skip Towne 01-21-2006 10:52 PM

I can't buy that 6% theory. At the start of the Civil War, there were more blacks in S. Carolina than there were whites.

Valiant 01-21-2006 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Codger

He is probably talking about the percentage of people owning slaves...

Valiant 01-21-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

I can't buy that 6% theory. At the start of the Civil War, there were more blacks in S. Carolina than there were whites.

Big plantation owners owned the majority of the slaves, even though they were the minority... And not all of them were slaves, a lot of blacks worked the docks as freedmen. Of course agian it depends on whose history books you read...

Skip Towne 01-21-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
Big plantation owners owned the majority of the slaves, even though they were the minority... And not all of them were slaves, a lot of blacks worked the docks as freedmen. Of course agian it depends on whose history books you read...

I'm not reading the same books you are. You stated earlier that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War. Hey, it had EVERYTHING to do with the Civil War. The main issue was " States Rights" of which slavery was a central issue. There were other rights involved but slavery was a biggie.

Taco John 01-21-2006 11:24 PM

I have doubts that America as we know it would exist if the traiterous confederates would have won.

Rausch 01-21-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
I have doubts that America as we know it would exist if the traiterous confederates would have won.

Odds are we'd have been done no later than WWII.

Skip Towne 01-21-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John

I doubt you know much about it since you can't spell traitorous. Ignorant Donkey.

Ultra Peanut 01-21-2006 11:32 PM

Even if the CSA had won, taken over the whole of America, and stayed intact, I find it very hard to imagine slavery still being in effect in the 21st century. That's just a silly premise that takes me right out of "the moment," even if the movie is satirical in nature.

Also, why would they use the battle flag and not the Stars & Bars?

Taco John 01-22-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

I doubt you know much about it since you can't spell traitorous. Ignorant Donkey.

Eh, I'm on a foreign keyboard... I'm used to the ergonomic stuff with the keyboard seperated in two... This mono-board crap is for the birds...

Valiant 01-22-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

I'm not reading the same books you are. You stated earlier that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War. Hey, it had EVERYTHING to do with the Civil War. The main issue was " States Rights" of which slavery was a central issue. There were other rights involved but slavery was a biggie.

No, slavery was the North's excuse to rally behind the war... Without them using slavery, the northern population would not have supported it.. The North did not want to lose the South's argicultural and military areas..

It would be like the Chiefs telling fans how much they apprieciate them and their support when all they really want them for is their money...

Fox River 01-22-2006 01:09 AM

Slavery was used by the North to take Britain out of the equation. We should have split into two countries. Which one would Missouri have joined? Kentucky for that matter?

Chiefs Pantalones 01-22-2006 01:22 AM

http://fratguyantics.com/content/media/humor_6782.jpg