ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

Amnorix 10-03-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9532636)
Willing suspension of disbelief will only take you so far...

Agreed -- that part annoys me too. Much more than Legolas being in the movie...

Amnorix 10-03-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10038924)
Yup. I'm a bit of a "purist" but that hasn't kept me from enjoying the films immensely.

Some aspects of the first Hobbit movie were a bit over the top and childish for me but looking back it certainly makes sense considering the Hobbit was far more a childrens book. I actually think the entire 6 movie series will work on many levels once the 2 remaining Hobbit films are finished.

The only MAJOR thing I would change about all of it (so far) is I'd put Tom Bombadil back in the Fellowship.

I'd gladly get rid of Rhosgobel rabbits and some of the other childish things, but he didn't Jar Jar Binks the movie, so on balance i'm ok with it.

I have a friend who really pretty PO'ed about no Tom Bombadil, but to non-readers, it would make no sense and it would've taken too long ot include in the movies, so I understand.

:shrug:

Amnorix 10-03-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10043526)
Legolas and azog do not belong in this movie.

Actually, it's pretty likely Legolas would've been in Thranduil's throne room when he first met the dwarves, etc., though he's not named specifically or anything.

But his being a key character obviously is "out of place", but so what?

As for Azog -- :shrug: There are orcs involved. They decided to take one and make him front and center, though according to canon he was already dead by this point. Meh, I can't really get fussed about it.

mnchiefsguy 10-03-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10043551)
I'd gladly get rid of Rhosgobel rabbits and some of the other childish things, but he didn't Jar Jar Binks the movie, so on balance i'm ok with it.

I have a friend who really pretty PO'ed about no Tom Bombadil, but to non-readers, it would make no sense and it would've taken too long ot include in the movies, so I understand.

:shrug:

I would have loved for them to have had tom Bombadil in, but I completely understand why it wasn't. Given how much PJ got into the LOTR trilogy, I am not sure anyone could ask for anything more.

The Hobbit has had more changes, but PJ is mixing in some other Tolkien things that will never see the screen otherwise. I trust his judgement and look forward to the next two films.

Fire Me Boy! 10-03-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9533368)
Therein lies your problem.

It's Thorin. FFS, why can't people spell his name right?!?!

The Franchise 10-03-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10043745)

ROFL

morphius 10-03-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10043719)
I would have loved for them to have had tom Bombadil in, but I completely understand why it wasn't. Given how much PJ got into the LOTR trilogy, I am not sure anyone could ask for anything more.

The Hobbit has had more changes, but PJ is mixing in some other Tolkien things that will never see the screen otherwise. I trust his judgement and look forward to the next two films.

I was glad that they left Tom out, lol. I think I understood why his character was in the book, but just felt unneeded.

Third Eye 10-03-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10043745)

S-K-Y-L-E-R!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Fire Me Boy! 10-03-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10044159)
S-K-Y-L-E-R!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

:shake:

It's not funny because you're piling on top of my joke...

Third Eye 10-03-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10044195)
:shake:

It's not funny because you're piling on top of my joke...

Odd, I thought I was giving you credit for your cross-thread humor, not piling on. Don't worry, shan't happen again.

Fire Me Boy! 10-03-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10044267)
Odd, I thought I was giving you credit for your cross-thread humor, not piling on. Don't worry, shan't happen again.

Then I misread. Sorry. :thumb:

Simply Red 10-15-2013 06:10 AM

They'll just roll out anything these days, It's nothing like the days of Close Encounters. You punk kids wouldn't know a good movie if you saw one!

keg in kc 11-12-2013 06:42 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bicwV1Bmcqk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-12-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9694998)
I look forward to falling asleep in the theatre during the next installment.

LMAO

O.city 11-12-2013 09:01 PM

Pumped