ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple overhauling its 30 pin connector (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365)

Fish 08-14-2012 01:08 PM

Look:

http://image.pinout.net/pinout_USB_f...t-microUSB.png

http://www.getusb.info/wp-content/up...04/040611a.jpg

Now you tell me...... can you see the discrepancy?

A lot of what you think is happening on that micro USB cable is actually done by the board of the device, and not the port. For what Apple is doing, there's no way in hell to make it work using micro USB.

L.A. Chieffan 08-14-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816793)
Its not a complicated device.

Its a pass-thru. Video still passes thru the micro USB.

like i said, im not an apple fanboi but the connector they use is an all-in-one. it needs NO adaptor to do ANYTHING. Is there any other port on a phone that can do that?

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8816819)
like i said, im not an apple fanboi but the connector they use is an all-in-one. it needs NO adaptor to do ANYTHING. Is there any other port on a phone that can do that?

What does it need to do, other than transfer data?

Micro USB will charge my phone while I transfer files from a PC.

Fish 08-14-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816850)
What does it need to do, other than transfer data?

Micro USB will charge my phone while I transfer files from a PC.

LMAO.... well... a lot actually.... but judging from your previous responses, I don't think you'd understand the explanation. Let's just say that the separate piping method that they use has many advantages in power consumption, adaptability, and reliability.

Ace Gunner 08-14-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816702)
That's a nice picture. But it's completely irrelevant.

The new iPhone has a single connection port. Not 5 different ports like what you're showing in your pic. Combine all those functions of those 5 different ports into one connector, and then it would be comparable.

The new iPhone has to have a single connector, one port, that must transfer power, multiple audio channels both in and out, video in and out in multiple formats, data transfer in and out, etc. All that has to fit into one connector while keeping all those different functions separated from each other. For the 30 pin connector, each of those 30 pins would be considered a separate "channel" so to speak. Lots of those are bunched together for a single function, but that should give you the idea.

Just micro USB doesn't provide enough separate "channels" to transfer all the stuff in and out of the iPhone. Something new had to be created.

I am a recording engineer. I work with audio and video projects and use USB or FW when I stream to/from external drives all the time.

When I record a drummer, I often use 12 channels & mics to do so, sometimes 16 channels and it is all streamed using USB A/B. It is all handled using USB shake.

It used to be FW was a more robust shake, but USB has become proficient too.

loochy 08-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816909)
LMAO.... well... a lot actually.... but judging from your previous responses, I don't think you'd understand the explanation. Let's just say that the separate piping method that they use has many advantages in power consumption, adaptability, and reliability.

don't forget proprietary connector sellability

qabbaan 08-14-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ultimate Warrior (Post 8816926)

The connector comes with the device. As a convenient bonus, all their devices for a decade have been using the same connector, so many people have a few lying around.

I don't think connectors are going to matter so much in the future, because data will move via wireless, and charging can be accomplished without a separate port, such as is done by the new iPod shuffle.

Fish 08-14-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ultimate Warrior (Post 8816926)

Of course. But the purpose of the proprietary connector is not solely for monetary reasons. It gives them a lot more engineering control over backward/forward compatibility and future implementations. It's actually quite an amazing feat that the 30 pin connector lasted this long, while the devices that use it have gone through such dramatic hardware changes.

And don't forget that you can always find a 3rd party knockoff 30 pin adapter for <$5.

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816909)

Typical Apple Fanboi condescending reply.

Eat shit.

qabbaan 08-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8816914)
I am a recording engineer. I work with audio and video projects and use USB or FW when I stream to/from external drives all the time.

When I record a drummer, I often use 12 channels & mics to do so, sometimes 16 channels and it is all streamed using USB A/B. It is all handled using USB shake.

The first few iPods had FireWire as an option (as you know I am sure, but for the benefit of others...). At the time, FireWire was much faster than USB. Today as USB standards have progressed, there is no demand for FireWire.

The 30 pin connector was not some effort at fragmentation by Apple, it was an effort to allow several devices to consolidate to a single port.

People aren't connecting printers with parallel or serial cables anymore, either. Once a decade, moving to a new standard that is modern is acceptable for a hardware manufacturer, IMO. Hardly a cash grab.

We now return you to the guys who probably complain that you can't connect devices to your TV anymore with those y-plugs you needed a Phillips screwdriver to attach...

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 01:46 PM

Snake oil.

Saulbadguy 08-14-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816991)
Typical Apple Fanboi condescending reply.

Eat shit.

I don't even like Apple (I'm a Microsoft fanboy) and what he is saying makes sense to me.

Per usual, you are too stupid to get it.

Fish 08-14-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8816914)

Transferring audio from an external drive to a computer is very different.

Think of it like comparing COAX cable to HDMI cable when connected to a flatscreen TV. COAX has a single wire that transmits all data(video/audio) at once, that is separated by the TV receiver when it gets there. HDMI has separate pins corresponding to different data, that is sent separately. Both cables do the same thing, transmit video and audio. But COAX sends the data in one single chunk, while HDMI splits it up into different manageable channels.

COAX, by sending all data at once, requires a lot more work to be done by the TV receiver. That translates into more energy consumption and reliance on the receiver to do all the work.

rocknrolla 08-14-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816558)
Another ****ing reason I'll never buy Apple.

Why not just make a simple micro USB like EVERY OTHER ****ING ELECTRONIC DEVICE?

THIS!

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2012 02:27 PM

I ****ing hate Apple.

They changed their pin configuration on their iPods a few years back, so my non-Apple docking stations no longer charge iPods of any generation and last I checked, there is no adapter.

I got sucked into the iPhone 4s bullshit last year and absolutely hate that piece of battery hogging shit.

**** Apple.