ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Why I want Mike Martz to be the Chiefs next HC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132327)

FloridaMan88 12-28-2005 03:22 PM

Why I want Mike Martz to be the Chiefs next HC

My reasoning:

1) For all the talk that Martz is a bad coach, he has a 53-32 record as a head coach, and a 3-4 career playoff record. Gregg Williams has a 17-31 career head coaching record. It would be hard pressed to find any prospective coach who is going to be available this offseason (and I still think Fisher stays in Tennessee) with the NFL head coaching record that Martz has.

2) Martz would keep the basis of the Chiefs' current successful offensive system in place and would probably enhance the passing game by upgrading the WR position, making the Chiefs passing game more explosive. Also Martz and Trent Green have a history together and a positive relationship, which is important considering Trent will probably be the Chiefs starting QB for another 2 seasons at least IMO.

3) Martz has a proven track record of developing QBs (see Trent Green, which goes back to his days in Washington, Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger) and would be able to develop a young QB to eventually replace Trent Green.

4) All the gushing over Gregg Williams, people are forgetting how horrible he was as a head coach in Buffalo. That 3rd year where he had the players in place on defense that he had wanted, the Bills completely fell apart, finishing 6-10. All he's proven in Washington is that he's a good defensive coordinator, but nothing that would suggest he would be a better head coach if he were given a second chance.

5) Looking at college ranks, really no one stands out to me. I don't think Carroll will leave USC this offseason and I don't think Stoops would make a good NFL head coach (especially considering he is overrated as a college coach, see how Pete Caroll and Nick Saban toyed with and humiliated him in the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl the past 2 years). Not to mention, also that Stoops has zero NFL coaching experience.

6) I think Martz could be a guy who helps turn around the Chiefs defense. After his first year as head coach of the Rams, he led the Rams focus that offseason towards dramatically improving their defense, and he hired Lovie Smith to be DC. The following season the Rams finished in the top 10 in total defense and allowed 200 less points that season than they did the season before (second most dramatic improvement in NFL history). I'm not arguing that Martz was the main reason behind that improvement and I'm sure Lovie Smith was probably the main reason why, but Martz was the one who hired Lovie Smith and Martz led the initiative to dramatically improve the Rams defense that offseason.

Dartgod 12-28-2005 03:26 PM

No f***ing way!

tk13 12-28-2005 03:27 PM

I don't think he's an awful coach, but he doesn't protect the QB very well, he has to keep developing them because he kills them all off, he ruined Kurt Warner... and he doesn't run the ball. LJ would be having a fit in the media every week when he only got 15 carries.

teedubya 12-28-2005 03:27 PM

7) These medications...

jidar 12-28-2005 03:30 PM

I'd like Martz actually. Of all the prospects people have mentioned he's probably the best.
I don't like how little he runs the ball but I honestly think that with this line + LJ every coach you hire is going to pound the rock.

Eleazar 12-28-2005 03:31 PM

Get out.

Wile_E_Coyote 12-28-2005 03:33 PM

cheap ploy to get Jenny Gump neg rep

~good work

chagrin 12-28-2005 03:45 PM

Just when I thought it wouldn't get worse, here comes Martz...he just sat one of the best 5 RB's in the game, after a Super Bowl run, in favor of his Passing game, and hadn't won anything since.

enough with this guy!

ROYC75 12-28-2005 03:51 PM

Uh, OK, is this a joke.

Boy howdy, you had me going there for a second.

JBucc 12-28-2005 03:54 PM

OC yes, HC **** NO!!!

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2005 03:55 PM

Is that Bob Marley playing in the background :bong:

FloridaMan88 12-28-2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
Just when I thought it wouldn't get worse, here comes Martz...he just sat one of the best 5 RB's in the game, after a Super Bowl run, in favor of his Passing game, and hadn't won anything since.

enough with this guy!

He "sat" Faulk because Faulk has been hampered by injuries since that 2002 Super Bowl.

And since going to the Super Bowl he has been to the playoffs twice, including a playoff win last year in Seattle.

That would be more playoff wins than the Chiefs have had the past decade and more playoff wins/appearances than Gregg Williams EVER had as a head coach.

Thig Lyfe 12-28-2005 04:02 PM

:shake:

chagrin 12-28-2005 04:03 PM

so that's the reason he should be here. And you're wrong about the injuries to Faulk. He had one injury and Martz used that against him as a way to show off his passing game.

Since then, the team has drafted defensive players and tried everything to get him the talent he needs and he cannot win with them.

1 Playoff game won doesn't make him a great coach.

I'm not buying it, and I son't want Gregggg Williams either, they both suck ass at the head coaching position

htismaqe 12-28-2005 04:07 PM

Somebody got a big bag of Skunk #1 Big Bud for Christmas...