ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Seattle -- Please tell me about it. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231895)

Bearcat 08-11-2010 10:04 PM

Seattle -- Please tell me about it.

I'm thinking about spending the week of Labor Day there. I'm looking at hotels.com right now and there's a hotel in the downtown/needle area for $100/night, so that's cool.

Bumbershoot is that weekend.

I've been up several things, like the Sears/Willis Tower, Eiffel Tower, St. Louis Arch, etc; so I guess I'll go up the Space Needle since I'm getting pretty good at that.

Ferry rides? The Aquarium (I'm pretty spoiled with aquariums though)? The Underground tour thing? Nightlife? Food?

I tend to knock out any touristy stuff pretty quickly when I travel, so any suggestions on non-touristy/off-the-beaten-path/hidden treasure stuff would be cool, too.

tia

OnTheWarpath15 08-11-2010 10:07 PM

Paging Mr. Flopnuts.

Mr. Flopnuts, please pick up a white courtesy phone, you have a call.

luv 08-11-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6929281)
Paging Mr. Flopnuts.

Mr. Flopnuts, please pick up a white courtesy phone, you have a call.

That dude's been pretty scarce since he's been here. I hope I didn't scare him off.

JoeyChuckles 08-11-2010 10:10 PM

Seattle. You know: fish, pines, cup 'o coffee, bad food, worse weather, Ichiro F%$king Suzuki... SEATTLE.

Name that (altered) movie.

Bugeater 08-11-2010 10:12 PM

You can ride the monorail from downtown to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is. The Pacific Science Center was kinda cool too. Pike Place Market downtown as well. Oh, and be prepared for the panhandlers, they are EVERYWHERE.

luv 08-11-2010 10:15 PM

A lot of cool bands originated there. Look up some bar/club and see if they have anyone obscure playing?

Bearcat 08-11-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6929288)
You can ride the monorail from downtown to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is. The Pacific Science Center was kinda cool too. Pike Place Market downtown as well. Oh, and be prepared for the panhandlers, they are EVERYWHERE.

Thanks, I'll check out the Science Center and Pike Place.

(that's almost a copy/paste from your previous advice... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...25&postcount=3 )

Bearcat 08-11-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6929291)
A lot of cool bands originated there. Look up some bar/club and see if they have anyone obscure playing?

Bumbershoot.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-11-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6929284)
That dude's been pretty scarce since he's been here. I hope I didn't scare him off.

Been super busy trying to put things together. Although, I do check in once a night and make sure I'm not missing anything epic. :D

Alright, I'll fill up a post dedicated to the awesomeness of Seattle, and there is plenty of it.

RealSNR 08-11-2010 10:30 PM

If you're an aquarium guy, this one is pretty unimpressive. It talks a lot about the local wildlife which is cool, but it's not set up well. It IS housed in one of the old piers though, which is sweet.

You're planning on doing the space needle, I know. Just wanted to say that I actually enjoyed it. A lot of those towers kind of suck/are lame; this one is not. Go there in the evening if you can. The view of Seattle at dusk is something special.

There's a science fiction museum right next to the Experience Music Project, and fairly close to the space needle. I'm a giant nerd, but I thought that was cool. If that kind of stuff isn't up your alley, it will be boring as hell.

Pike Place IS cool. Spend an entire afternoon there. Lots of shit to see.

luv 08-11-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 6929300)
Bumbershoot.

Ah. I didn't know what that was, and didn't bother looking it up before posting. Go figure.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-11-2010 10:36 PM

First off, hit the U-District and have a few beers and buy yourself some Seattle chronic. Even if you don't smoke, it's good enough there to get some and do it anyways. :D Plus the U-District is college central and just rocks in general. Hot girls, good drink specials, awesome live music, the list goes on and on. Definitely spend a night there living that experience.

Also, make sure you spend a night or 3 in Pioneer Square towards downtown. Preferably on the weekend if you can. That place is poppin' and there are over a dozen bars down there with live music, and see all of the above in relation to the U-District. You should easily be able to kill a week at those places alone, but feel free to check out Fremont, Ballard, and the Showbox for some other hot party places at night.

As for touristy stuff, obviously the Space Needle, EMP experience, and the Pacific Science Center should be on the list. Pike Place, and a few other places have been mentioned. Check out Gasworks Park, it's pretty cool too. They're all in the downtown vicinity, but I would personally dedicate an entire day to EMP. PSC and the Space Needle should be able to be accomplished in one day.

From there, check out the Sound Garden (Yes, the band did get their name there), Gasworks park, Greenlake, and the Fremont Troll. That troll is ****ing epic and something most people never come across in their time here, but it's a timeless piece of Seattle hippy, artsy history. It's awesome. Fremont in general is a great place with it's own vibe, and should be experienced fully.

That stuff should keep you plenty busy while you're here, and it's what comes to the top of my head, but there's so much more. You shouldn't spend one bored moment in that city. I already miss it. If I think of anything else that you can't live without, I'll post here again. But I highly suggest freelancing a day or two while you're there and don't make plans. Things will come up as you get familiar with your surroundings.

Oh, and make sure to get yourself some Dick's. Everyone in Seattle loves Dick's. I could go on for days and days about the quality of Seattle's Dick's. It's a staple of the city. My favorite place to find Dick's in Seattle is either in the U-District, or up in Lake City. Highest quality you can find is there.

Have fun man, although it would be hard not too.

And I'm just assuming you're going there on Labor Day weekend for Bumbershoot, so I didn't bother mentioning it. It's an obvious selection.

luv 08-11-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6929303)
Been super busy trying to put things together. Although, I do check in once a night and make sure I'm not missing anything epic. :D

Alright, I'll fill up a post dedicated to the awesomeness of Seattle, and there is plenty of it.

There you are. I was gonna see if you wanted to get together to watch the preseason game (it is airing down here on FOX). Leave it to dad to be scheduled to fly back to town right in the middle of it, though.

luv 08-11-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6929313)

Oh, and make sure to get yourself some Dick's. Everyone in Seattle loves Dick's. I could go on for days and days about the quality of Seattle's Dick's. It's a staple of the city. My favorite place to find Dick's in Seattle is either in the U-District, or up in Lake City. Highest quality you can find is there.

Definitely read this part out loud. LMAO

Mr. Flopnuts 08-11-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6929317)
There you are. I was gonna see if you wanted to get together to watch the preseason game (it is airing down here on FOX). Leave it to dad to be scheduled to fly back to town right in the middle of it, though.

I absolutely would, but I got an invite from an old friend (who actually introduced me to this place) to watch it at his place and I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't gotten a chance to see him yet since I've been down here. I have no doubt we'll be hooking up for some Chiefs games this year though.