ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263142)

bevischief 09-03-2012 07:20 AM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon

Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon going on the Chiller channel. Direct TV 257.

Buck 09-03-2012 10:33 AM

That's funny, I finally got to the point in my intermittent viewing of Buffy, that lasted for 3+ years (the first 17 episodes over that time) to where I actually want to watch it. The episode Halloweeen (S2E6) was really good I thought and I've been watching a couple episodes a day. I'm now on the 2nd part of Whats my line (S2E10?).

At what point am I supposed to be watching Angel?

JD10367 09-03-2012 10:34 AM

The first year of "Buffy" was a bit slow, but it picked up at the end. After that, the rest of the series was awesome.

cabletech94 09-03-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8873916)
The first year of "Buffy" was a bit slow, but it picked up at the end. After that, the rest of the series was awesome.

that!

i tend to agree with angel as well, couldn't watch it when it originally aired. got into in the penultimate season. last 2 seasons were badass compared to the beginning. just like buffy.

Bowser 09-03-2012 10:43 AM

Well, if any of you were wondering what Gaz was up to today......

Javabean 09-03-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8873913)
That's funny, I finally got to the point in my intermittent viewing of Buffy, that lasted for 3+ years (the first 17 episodes over that time) to where I actually want to watch it. The episode Halloweeen (S2E6) was really good I thought and I've been watching a couple episodes a day. I'm now on the 2nd part of Whats my line (S2E10?).

At what point am I supposed to be watching Angel?

Angel's first season coincided with Buffy's fourth season. They were on different networks though, and only had a few very minor crossovers, so you don't really need to interlace them. Just start Angel anytime after you finish Buffy's third season and it'll make sense.

Deberg_1990 09-03-2012 03:54 PM

That Spike dude just turned 50. Didn't realize he was that old.

lcarus 09-03-2012 06:37 PM

I'm not trying to be insulting, but I always thought that show was meant for 13 year old girls. Though I don't know much about it. I liked the movie a long time ago.

Baby Lee 09-03-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8875078)
I'm not trying to be insulting, but I always thought that show was meant for 13 year old girls. Though I don't know much about it. I liked the movie a long time ago.

Are you familiar with Jess Whedon? Dollhouse, Firefly, Dr. Horrible?

If Buffy is any one thing, it's meant for Whedon fans. He likes to mix and match genres, develop distinctive patter, and combine overarching storylines with enjoyable one-off episodes. You never know from week to week if you're getting a comedic romp, or a tearjerker, or a nail-biting horror story.

As said above, it takes him a while to find his groove, but when he finds it he hooks most viewers in for the long haul.

KcMizzou 09-03-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Heh, fail.

The movie was ****ing terrible. The show was surprisingly good. (better as it went along)

Deberg_1990 09-03-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8875671)
Heh, fail.

The movie was ****ing terrible. The show was surprisingly good. (better as it went along)

Yea, ironically the series might never had been had the movie turned out good. whedon hated it so much he decided to redo it right himself once he had the clout 5 or 6 years later.

I haven't seen the movie in years but I remember it trying to be funny or a mockery. It had the wrong tone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck 09-03-2012 10:24 PM

Buffy is fighting John Ritter.

Buck 09-03-2012 10:24 PM

She ****ed Ted.

Mr. Laz 07-21-2013 08:02 PM

another marathon on!!!

show is still hot!

Lex Luthor 07-21-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

It's obvious that you never watched the show. For years I refused to watch it because I thought the same thing.

I didn't know what I was missing. The show was NOTHING like the movie. The show was magnificent. And I don't use that term loosely. The only other show I would describe with that word is Breaking Bad.

The funny thing is, I still remember EXACTLY when I got hooked on the show. I had it on as background noise one day while I was doing something else. It was one of the early episodes in the 5th season, and a dying monk told Buffy something so astounding about her sister that I stopped what I was doing, turned around and looked at the TV, and said "WTF?".

You should do yourself a favor and watch the show.

Lex Luthor 07-21-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8875782)
She ****ed Ted.

That was Skyler.

JD10367 07-22-2013 06:11 PM

Ended up DVRing a bunch of 'em on high-def, 'cause they're always worth seeing again.

If Joss Whedon had never done "The Avengers", or the TV shows "Firefly", "Angel", or "Dollhouse", he should be considered a media god not for the whole "Buffy" series even, but simply for three episodes: "Hush", "The Body", and "Once More With Feeling".

IowaChiefs83 07-22-2013 06:27 PM

You all are making me wanting to break out my Buffy box set over here!

I ignored the series when it was on air back when I was in highschool. It was a teenage girl cult following and I was to busy watching WWF/WWE. Then one morning I woke up earlier than normal and I couldn't fall asleep. I turned on the TV only to find nothing on. I happened upon an episode of Buffy where Andrew was sacrificing Johnathon. Liked it enough to buy the first season and got hooked.

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9827848)
Ended up DVRing a bunch of 'em on high-def, 'cause they're always worth seeing again.

If Joss Whedon had never done "The Avengers", or the TV shows "Firefly", "Angel", or "Dollhouse", he should be considered a media god not for the whole "Buffy" series even, but simply for three episodes: "Hush", "The Body", and "Once More With Feeling".

I haven't seen that episode in years and it still brings a tear to my eye. I can think of no other show that portrayed the loss of a loved one in such a raw and barren manner. The key was it wasn't a pile of overemoting dross, but somehow managed to capture the despair, resignation, and weariness of a real world loss. There was something ineffible on the screen that resonated with most every time I've actually witnessed or experienced such a loss.

It's tough to recommend it as a 'sampler' [in fact I find myself hesitant to even draw attention to it] because one really needs to live with these characters over the previous seasons to get the full impact, but it's one of the more indelible episodes of television I've ever seen.

Mr. Laz 07-22-2013 07:04 PM

had to watch Buffy kill the love of her life with a sword even though they had given him his soul back :(

Baby Lee 07-22-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9828053)
had to watch Buffy kill the love of her life with a sword even though they had given him his soul back :(

Yeah, that's generally the episode I urge people to make it to before passing judgment on the show.

One of the more ironic facts about me is, I've seen every episode of Buffy, AND every episode of Bones, . . . never seen a second of Angel.

And I have the box sets of the first three seasons.

Valiant 07-22-2013 07:59 PM

My understanding is the Supernatural spinoff from this upcoming seasons new character will be similar to Angel tv series.

JD10367 07-23-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9828148)
Yeah, that's generally the episode I urge people to make it to before passing judgment on the show.

One of the more ironic facts about me is, I've seen every episode of Buffy, AND every episode of Bones, . . . never seen a second of Angel.

And I have the box sets of the first three seasons.

"Angel" starts slow, but it builds steam as it goes, and as they start introducing a few "Buffy" characters (Wesley, Cordelia, Spike). It gets a little weird and deep with the mythology and some various bizarre births, and goes into an alt-universe for a while (introducing the one "Angel"-unique actress, Amy Acker). Much like "Buffy", once you get past the first season the show really settles in and gets good. "Angel" also has some good episodes--nothing along the lines of the stuff from "Buffy" but creative nonetheless (my favorite is the one where Angel turns into a Muppett... trust me, it's better than it sounds, LOL). And "Angel" ends on a high note, if you're into pessimism. :) I'd definitely get to watching them. What's weird, though, is you have to remember that "Angel" started off at the end of Season 3 of "Buffy" (The Mayor). By the start of Season 4 (The Initiative) "Angel" was airing so, from that point on, the shows parallel and some cross-references are made (like when Buffy dies). And I believe "Angel" ran for another season (or two?) past "Buffy" so there's even some post-"Buffy" storylines (for example, you'd probably be wondering around now why I mentioned Spike).

keg in kc 07-23-2013 01:03 PM

I think the final 8 episodes of Angel stand up well against any of the best Buffy episodes. There's some really heart-rending stuff.

kaplin42 07-23-2013 02:44 PM

I believe Chill plays several episodes of Buffy every night. Also, if you have Netflix, I want to say both Buffy and Angel are instantly viewable.

kaplin42 07-23-2013 02:46 PM

Also, so much hotness out of those two shows

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Alyson Hannigan
Charisma Carpenter
Amy Ackers --- unghf

Pasta Little Brioni 07-23-2013 03:19 PM

I worry about you sometimes bevis

JD10367 07-24-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9829680)
Also, so much hotness out of those two shows

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Alyson Hannigan
Charisma Carpenter
Amy Ackers --- unghf

Robia LaMorte (Ms. Calendar), Emma Caulfield (Anya), Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn, but the now-legal version), Eliza Dushku (Faith), Juliet Landau (Drusilla), Mercedes McNab (Harmony), Iyari Limon (Willow's new girlfriend in the last season), Clare Kramer (Glory), Julie Benz (Darla)... So much boinkability it's not funny.

bevischief 07-24-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9829732)
I worry about you sometimes bevis

I don't like a lot of the new shows. I enjoy watching older shows I have on DVD a few times a year or so.

kaplin42 07-24-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9831395)
Robia LaMorte (Ms. Calendar), Emma Caulfield (Anya), Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn, but the now-legal version), Eliza Dushku (Faith), Juliet Landau (Drusilla), Mercedes McNab (Harmony), Iyari Limon (Willow's new girlfriend in the last season), Clare Kramer (Glory), Julie Benz (Darla)... So much boinkability it's not funny.

Yeah what this guy said. :thumb:

lcarus 07-25-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8875671)
Heh, fail.

Yeah, well I was 9 years old when I liked that movie.

Setsuna 07-25-2013 05:09 PM

I watched it for the lesbian.

IowaChiefs83 07-25-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9834202)
I watched it for the lesbian.

There is a lot of hotness going around. Even more so in Angel. Charisma Carpenter holy shit!

Baby Lee 08-05-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9828036)
I haven't seen that episode in years and it still brings a tear to my eye. . .

On The Nerdist, Joss Whedon surmises that 'The Body' was the single greatest thing in all of media he personally ever created. Had anticipated helming this episode since he started the show.

Now back the the glamoring . . . 'you will forget this episode even exists, . . . until you see it.'