ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Patriots Four Rule Proposals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282409)

Amnorix 03-19-2014 03:55 PM

Patriots Four Rule Proposals

The Patriots submitted four rules proposals for discussion at next week's NFL owners' meetings.

1. Goal posts extended an additional 5 feet above the cross bar. "The reasoning of this proposal is that definitive rulings cannot be made on many field goal tries that cross over the top of the goal post."

2. Make the extra point more challenging by making the line of scrimmage the 25-yard line. "In order to make the point after a more competitive play."

3. Place fixed cameras on all boundary lines -- sideline, end line, end zone. "To supplement the TV cameras and to guarantee coverage of those lines for replay, no matter where the TV cameras are located."

4. Coaches can challenge any officials' decision other than scoring plays. "To make more extensive use of the replay system."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-...rule-proposals

Discuss.

KC native 03-19-2014 03:56 PM

I'm cool with the first 3.

Why Not? 03-19-2014 03:58 PM

First two are excellent. 3rd is good. 4th?? Meh

Amnorix 03-19-2014 03:58 PM

As Pats reporter Mike Reiss points out, the first one (taller goal posts) may have been triggered by the controversial end of the 2012 AFCCG. Ravens go on to win the SB...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HpRq8S3nTkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm ok with 2, which was discussed elsewhere on here.

I think 3 is freaking OBVIOUS. HELLO!!

4 is fine with me also.

Not that I'm a Pats homer or anything, but all of these just seem to make alot of sense.

Dayze 03-19-2014 03:59 PM

i'm good with them all.

defensive PI and Offensive Holding infuriate me with their lack of consistency.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10502553)
First two are excellent. 3rd is good. 4th?? Meh

The real issue is that sometimes you can get some weird results regarding plays. Everything ultimately boils down to a judgment call. Why not let it be reviewable on replay? It's all still limited to the same number of call challenges the coaches get now.

J Diddy 03-19-2014 04:00 PM

1 and 3 are no-brainers to me. I could see the excitement of number 2 but don't think it'll happen anytime soon and number 4 I like but don't think it will happen. There are already auto reviews of turnovers, scoring plays and anything in the final 2 minutes of a half/ overtime. Throw in the coaches challenges and assuming that they won them all there is a ton of replays in play.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10502557)
i'm good with them all.

defensive PI and Offensive Holding infuriate me with their lack of consistency.

I don't think either will be effected by any of these proposed rules. Those are just difficult plays to officiate, especially in real time.

Bowser 03-19-2014 04:00 PM

Certainly better than anything Carl Peterson ever dreamed up of asking for.

Discuss Thrower 03-19-2014 04:01 PM

Wouldn't the refs raise all hell on proposal #4?

I agree with #1 wholeheartedly though.

hometeam 03-19-2014 04:02 PM

Im ok with all of them except for extra points. I wish they would leave that one alone.

Bowser 03-19-2014 04:02 PM

The first three should be no brainers. The fourth will face competition.

Bowser 03-19-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10502567)
Im ok with all of them except for extra points. I wish they would leave that one alone.

Nah, make the play challenging at least.

Easy 6 03-19-2014 04:04 PM

#4 would extend games by an hour, no thanks.

Amnorix 03-19-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10502567)

But why? It's not a play. There is literally nothing the defense can do to affect it in any way, no matter how good they are or what strategy they use. There isn't a more boring play in all of sports. It's not remotely competitive, and sports is a competition.

It's basically like having free throws from RIGHT in front of the basket. Want to dunk it? Sure, go ahead. Lay it up? Ok. What the heck is the point of that?