ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Online flirting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134425)

Clint in Wichita 01-23-2006 11:07 AM

Online flirting

Is online flirting, when you know your S.O. disapproves, OK because you "are only flirting online and not in the real world"?

My opinion (surprise, surprise) is that it's not OK, period. It's said to be OK because it's not face-to-face, and online it's just fun and games.

I call bullshit. People meet online friends in person all the time. They even meet their future spouses online. The "it's only online" argument is bogus.

I would also imagine that many of those who feel it's OK would be less than eager to have their own S.O.s discover their activity.

Thoughts?

Baby Lee 01-23-2006 11:09 AM

Was there an orgasm?

Skip Towne 01-23-2006 11:10 AM

I would never do such a thing. But I'll bet Rainman would.

Hoover 01-23-2006 11:11 AM

I had to put Gaz on ignore because of this. All those Hugs and Kisses at the end of each message really made me uncomfortable.

mlyonsd 01-23-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
I had to put Gaz on ignore because of this. All those Hugs and Kisses at the end of each message really made me uncomfortable.

I think he's harmless. I would only worry if he offers you a Tequila Rose in a glass that you didn't watch him pour.

Bowser 01-23-2006 11:15 AM

I think when someone goes behind a SO's back and flirts online, it's easier to shrug it off as "innocent". Is it right? Probably not. But this sounds like it's more of a problem with communication between the two spouses. Personally, I probably wouldn't be comfortable with it.

The question is, is it a regular occurance with this SO?

Saulbadguy 01-23-2006 11:17 AM

I would say if the SO is open about it, and doesn't try to hide it, it's all innocent fun.

If they go out of their way to hide it, it's wrong.

Infidel Goat 01-23-2006 11:17 AM

Did Oprah steal Clint's log-in?

I mean, really, he just started a thread about on-line flirting.

--Infidel Goat

Katipan 01-23-2006 11:18 AM

Dear Lord.

I don't even care if my man flirts with the waitress bringing our beer. Much less some lonely girl on the internet.

Clint in Wichita 01-23-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I would say if the SO is open about it, and doesn't try to hide it, it's all innocent fun.

If they go out of their way to hide it, it's wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

mlyonsd 01-23-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Did Oprah steal Clint's log-in?

I mean, really, he just started a thread about on-line flirting.

--Infidel Goat

If he follows it up with a "Good books to read" thread you might be onto something.

Clint in Wichita 01-23-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mer
Dear Lord.

I don't even care if my man flirts with the waitress bringing our beer. Much less some lonely girl on the internet.

Keep in mind that "flirting" can cover an awful lot of territory...especially online. I'm not just talking about a giggle or a wink.

Of course, some people feel nothing is wrong until bodily fluids are exchanged.

Iowanian 01-23-2006 11:20 AM

I only participate in football message boards and poker sites. I always assume its a dude on the other end, unless I know better.

I made a rule with my wife before we hitched that when I wasn't around, she should simply ask herself.."If Iowanian were watching or listening right now, would he be pissed off?" If the answer is yes, don't do it.

I do my best to follow the same rule.

I think my limit would be the following.
1. Would she care if I were reading it(or would I care if she read my posts)
2. Is it in the public forum?
If it were in Email or PM form....Heads would roll for sure.

I trust my bride and she has no reason not to trust me, so its not a problem.

But I'm an asshole.

ChiTown 01-23-2006 11:21 AM

As long as thy dont perfect the technology so as to get cyber-spew on my wife's face, I'm ok with it. That said, I generally keep my wife locked up in a dungeon...................

KCTitus 01-23-2006 11:21 AM

Does 'flirting' also include unwarranted positive 'rep'?

I really need a ruling on this one.