ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Are KC's starting linebackers appreciably better as they stand today? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111948)

raypec85 03-10-2005 07:11 AM

Are KC's starting linebackers appreciably better as they stand today?

Assuming Barber will either not be available or not up to full speed, is Fujita, Bell, and Mitchell / Fox appreciably better than Fujita, Mitchell, and Barber? KC would improve alot in the middle but would lose some ground on the weak side, at least for the period of time it would take Mitchell or Fox to develop, if they ever do. I think Bell was a good signing but unless Barber makes it back to full speed it will take 2 new linebackers to really have the desired effect imo. If Fujita leaves then the picture becomes even grimmer.

cookster50 03-10-2005 07:25 AM

Yes

Gaz 03-10-2005 07:27 AM

Yes...

Beisel/Caver, Bell, Fujita > Barber, Mitchell, Fujita.

xoxo~
Gaz
Doing the math.

raypec85 03-10-2005 07:32 AM

Gaz, I don't share your enthusiasm for Caver. Beisel / Bell / Fujita is better than what KC had last year, I agree. However, the question is are they APPRECIABLY better? I'm not so sure there's a significant difference there, and a significant difference is what KC needs, not moderate improvement.

the Talking Can 03-10-2005 07:36 AM

we now have 1 good LB

Gaz 03-10-2005 07:37 AM

Let us not mistake acceptance for enthusiasm...

Despite the howls of outrage about the secondary [and I concede that beaucoup howling was justified], the weakest point of our Defense was MLB. Although I wanted Hartwell [and still harbor the secret hope that he will sign with KC], Bell is a tremendous upgrade [if he remains healthy].

So, with the injury caveat in place, the answer is: yes, they are appreciably better.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had really high hopes for Mitchell, but finally had to get off that wagon.

chiefsfolife 03-10-2005 07:38 AM

lets see well theres 3 line backers and we have one good one so......33 percent better is pretty good for march

SCTrojan 03-10-2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

So, with the injury caveat in place, the answer is: yes, they are appreciably better.

I'm with Gaz on this one. And, at the risk of encroaching upon his domain, I think the improvement with the addition of Bell is more geometric than arithmetic. Bell not only upgrades one linebacker position, but has the ability to make the others better in the process.

We heard a lot of "everyone's trying to do too much" hyperbole in the locker room last year. My hope is that Bell's presence will help the other LBs focus solely on their job and not try to do everything themselves.

crossbow 03-10-2005 07:52 AM

The strength they have in the middle will effect the the whole defense. The two outside LB positions don't have to worry about the inside and can concentrate on sweeps, screens, and bootlegs. The safeties don't have support the run as much and can help the corners like they are supposed to. Corners now can trust that the safties will be there to help them on the inside so they can defend the outside and deep routes with more confidence like they need to.

If they give Fox a chance he has the physical talent to succeed. He could be a solid will backer. Fujita and Mitchell have the size and speed to be effective srtong side linebackers that can cover tight ends. Caver was a 2nd round pick because of his athletic abilities. He played very well last year when they needed him.

All of these guys should play better because they have less ground to cover now.

Gaz 03-10-2005 07:55 AM

Yep...

I have no hard evidence to support it, but my suspicion is that "everyone's trying to do too much" was a major factor in the awesome lameness of our Safety play.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks guys do one job better than three.

chiefsfolife 03-10-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow
The strength they have in the middle will effect the the whole defense. The two outside LB positions don't have to worry about the inside and can concentrate on sweeps, screens, and bootlegs. The safeties don't have support the run as much and can help the corners like they are supposed to. Corners now can trust that the safties will be there to help them on the inside so they can defend the outside and deep routes with more confidence like they need to.

If they give Fox a chance he has the physical talent to succeed. He could be a solid will backer. Fujita and Mitchell have the size and speed to be effective srtong side linebackers that can cover tight ends. Caver was a 2nd round pick because of his athletic abilities. He played very well last year when they needed him.

All of these guys should play better because they have less ground to cover now.

I agree all the way

crossbow 03-10-2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

I have no hard evidence to support it, but my suspicion is that "everyone's trying to do too much" was a major factor in the awesome lameness of our Safety play.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks guys do one job better than three.

I see that too. They were trying to defend half of a football field most of the time. A bad spot to be in. Now as far as tackleling goes, well we need improvement there for sure but hopefully Gun will work on that.

edit: Gaurding the middle is the key to successful defenses in all sports. The middle of the field is where the other guy has the most room to advance. Take it way from him and the outside is easier to defend becuase if he goes out of bounds the play doesn't count.

bricks 03-10-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
we now have 1 good LB

I agree. I'll say this, the signing of Bell can make our LBing corps better. Mitchell was starting to come on late last season, his inconsistent play the entire year hurt him. I was thinking he would be a good long-term project for this team, but, the signing of Bell throws that out the window. Mitchell, imo, would make a good backup. Fujita is adequate(average linebacker), I have no problems with him being our 3rd best LB, last year he was our best. It doesn't sit well with me to see he is our 2nd best LB. I hope the Chiefs draft a stud OLB in the first round. We can still use help at LB.

whoman69 03-10-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow

I don't know what information anyone on this board has to make a statement about Fox. He was injured most of the season and played sparingly when healthy. You want to talk about athletic ability, Bartee has alot of athletic ability. It doesn't always translate.

htismaqe 03-10-2005 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69
I don't know what information anyone on this board has to make a statement about Fox. He was injured most of the season and played sparingly when healthy. You want to talk about athletic ability, Bartee has alot of athletic ability. It doesn't always translate.

I think it comes down to this:

If our only chance to upgrade at WLB becomes drafting Kevin Burnett or a similar player, we might as well play Fox because you're getting roughly the same things.