ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Post your top 5 rock albums of all time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267187)

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 11991559)
Thread says Rock albums and some queer throws in the BeeGees and Michael Jackson.

ROFL

The Bee Gees ****ing RULE.

Michael Jackson? He was the biggest game changer since Chuck Berry.

Pitt Gorilla 01-02-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11992160)
The Bee Gees ****ing RULE.

Both appreciated a good bass line.

EPodolak 01-03-2016 03:56 AM

I'll go.
These five are worthy of an all-time list.

Leonard Cohen - Songs
Yes - Close to the Edge
Beatles - White Album
Led Zeppelin lll
The Pentangle - Basket of Light

Props to the poster that mentioned Pink Moon by Nick Drake.

rabblerouser 01-03-2016 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9161822)
For pure stupidity and fun, I'd pick:

4. The Tubes - What Do You Want From Live?

That album is SO much fun!

rabblerouser 01-03-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11992160)

The Beatles were probably a bigger game changer on more levels than Chuck Berry. Chuck was the catalyst...but a bunch of those early 50s Chess sides were written by Johnnie Johnson anyway. Chuck took a lot of credit, and he was a badass, no doubt...

But Chuck influenced the real game changers (The Beatles and Stones). The Beatles have sold 10 million copies of the White Album ALONE. Does Chuck have 10 million album sales, total??
I know London Sessions went Gold...

With all due respect, and I know they were influenced by Chuck (who wasnt?)
But by all accounts, by 1960 Chuck was in jail, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran were dead, and Elvis was in the Army. It was 'How Much is the Doggie in the Window' and Doris Day and Shit like that.

We have the Beatles and Stones to thank for bringing Blues, R&B, and Chuck Berry back to America and introducing that music to a generation that was not buying Chess or Sun Records until maybe after they read the credits to the Beatles and Stones records they picked up at the local Woolworths.

Look at the early Stones albums - Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Howlin Wolf, Chuck, Chuck, and more Chuck.

If it weren't for the Beatles, Dylan may not have went electric. Hendrix, all that came after...Micheal Jackson doesn't even compare to the Beatles. He was just a game changer in the unit shifter way. He may have changed the way the business worked at the time, and he was a gifted singer who had a great sense of melody and timing. I had Thriller when I was a kid. It was great. When I was a kid. But I'll never actually put on a MJ record today. It's well produced and all, but...if I want to go back to that Era and style, Prince had 2 albums right around that time that shit all over anything MJ did after he left Motown.

If MJ influenced anything, he influenced the vacant, soulless pop dreck that the likes of Justin Timberlame and the guy who was with the Chili Peppers at the Super Bowl whose name I forget but whose music was way better when it was called 'The Police'. You know who I'm talking about. It's like 2 one syllable words or something. Bruno or something. He's terrible. I can hear (and see) some MJ in that guy.

So I guess MJ was a "game changer" of sorts...but not in a really good way, as far as I can tell. MJ created the likes of Lady Gaga. Someone else who everyone goes out of their way to convince people how good she actually is...and I'm like, 'nope. I've got too many other records to listen to.'

Plus, MJ liked to get his Jared Fogel on. **** that shit. And I know, so did Jimmy Page and Don Henley and Ted Nugent...but somehow, 16 hear old girls are different than 8 year old boys, Dude.

He was a pederast.

8 year olds, Dude.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...sax4kol95.jpeg

rabblerouser 01-03-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11992085)
Just because you can dance to it and you aren't a stripper doesn't mean it's not rock and roll.

Bee Gees are just as much rock and roll as Opeth is - just because one is heavy and one isn't doesn't mean it's not rock. Hell, you could argue that the Bee Gees are substantially more similar to the roots of rock and roll than even a band like the Who, let alone the vast majority of metal bands.
Rock and Roll is a very large and encompassing classification.

https://youtu.be/XODOuePLWTc

BigMeatballDave 01-03-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11992085)
Just because you can dance to it and you aren't a stripper doesn't mean it's not rock and roll.

Bee Gees are just as much rock and roll as Opeth is - just because one is heavy and one isn't doesn't mean it's not rock. Hell, you could argue that the Bee Gees are substantially more similar to the roots of rock and roll than even a band like the Who, let alone the vast majority of metal bands.

Rock and Roll is a very large and encompassing classification.

:LOL: Awesome, Sac. Completely agree.

rabblerouser 01-03-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11992507)
:LOL: Awesome, Sac. Completely agree.

The Bee Gees song 'To Love Somebody' is freaking amazing, btw.