ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Peoples Magazine names Kevin Hart #1 Comedian All-Time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291473)

DaveNull 03-24-2015 11:46 AM

I saw a repeat of Kevin Hart on SNL this weekend. Laughed a whole hell of a lot more than i expected.

Demonpenz 03-24-2015 01:22 PM

Laughing doesn't come so much as being funny, but like the unexpected. I laughed my ass off at the end of the seattle game.

chiefzilla1501 03-25-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11401087)
Curious what standard people judge comedians on.

Make you laugh
Make you think
Stick with you
Repeatably funny
Shocking
Physical/Impressions
Catchphrases

Because the only bits of standup I can recall actually LAUGHING at in the past 5 or so years weren't the best bits, but just struck me funny

Kevin James miming picking out a greeting card [laughter @4:30]

Robin Williams eating pussy

Most standup I enjoy, but stoically. As in like an uptight German sitting stock still and whispering 'dat iss funnay' rather than actully laughing. Laughter usually comes from alt improv group stuff like CBB, Harmontown, Whose Line, and I4H or crowd work like Jimmy Pardo. I think because it surprises. Stand-up, no matter how well crafted, rarely surprises me anymore. I can appreciate the craftsmanship, but without the element of surprise I'm not spurred to gales of laughter.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I find talk shows to be a good watermark. An aziz interview seems scripted. Norm... The guy is completely anti script and his funniest moments have come when he rebels against a set script. I can't take a comedian as seriously if they aren't naturally funny. Then they're just joke makers.

Mav 03-25-2015 08:19 AM

It starts with Richard Pryor. He is the king of comedy. His stand ups are beyond legend.

Baby Lee 03-25-2015 08:58 AM

Going back to the element of surprise. I would probably place Carlin as the best comedian of all time. But really, he's a monologist. I don't think I've ever laughed aloud to one of his bits. But they are so tightly constructed and commonsensical that they 'stick to your ribs.' I can, and do, quote verbatim things I heard him say 20 years ago, because their applicability and aptness arises time and time again.

But his humor arose from the logical progression of his train of thought. You knew approximately what he was going to say, just not how wittily or succinctly he would sum it up. He was YOUR brain doing a better job of processing the world around you.

He is the epitome of someone you can greatly respect for their craft* and really TRULY find funny without laughing at their set. Just a pleasant, satisfied smile borne of sitting in the presence of genius.

* - though he did get crotchety and bitter, and not in a good way, in his waning years.

Demonpenz 03-25-2015 04:28 PM

Carlin picked all the jokes apart better than anyone can.

RunKC 03-25-2015 10:40 PM

He's annoying. His first special in Cleveland was good but then his work was like reheated soup. I think these guys are top 5 modern day comedians.

Louis CK
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappelle
Hannibal Burress
Ron White

58-4ever 04-01-2015 07:13 PM

He's definitely top 5-6. In no particular order IMHO mother ****ers:

Dave Chappelle
Louis CK
George Carlin
Kevin Hart
Richard Pryor
Bill Hicks

buuuuuutt...... I might be high.

58-4ever 04-01-2015 07:14 PM

with a special mention to:

Aziz Ansari
Hannibal Burress
Sarah Silverman
Chris Hardwick
Joey Diaz

58-4ever 04-01-2015 07:16 PM

of course:

Seinfeld
Martin Lawrence
Chris Rock
Dave Attell
Dom Irrera

Baby Lee 04-01-2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 11403913)
He's annoying. His first special in Cleveland was good but then his work was like reheated soup. I think these guys are top 5 modern day comedians.

Louis CK
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappelle
Hannibal Burress
Ron White

Don't get the Hannibal Burress love. Here in 2015, I'd probably replace him with Brian Regan or Kyle Kinane. Close call if I'd put both in and pull Ron White as well. Nothing against him, but I haven't heard anything since Blue Collar from him.

KCrockaholic 04-01-2015 09:23 PM

Most of his movies he's not funny imo. But his stand up is pretty good.

Saccopoo 04-01-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 11402404)
It starts with Richard Pryor. He is the king of comedy. His stand ups are beyond legend.

Jonathan Winters.

You want brilliant? There you go.

dilligaf 04-01-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11414706)
Jonathan Winters.

You want brilliant? There you go.

:thumb:
Early Sam Kinison was one who busted me up. His later stuff wasn't nearly as funny.

SuperChief 04-02-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 11402404)

It actually starts with Paul Mooney :)