ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9358382)
There's a reason it tastes so good -- It contains high fructose corn syrup...

Try Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein --- ON is top quality and great taste.
http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit.../dp/B000QSNYGI

The Strawberry and Extreme Chocolate Milk (tastes just like a yoohoo) are both fantastic.

You beat me to it. It has nearly double the calories of the V-Core protein, but it DOES taste amazing.

Silock 01-28-2013 01:18 PM

Trutein is better than all the proteins listed. They actually disclose the ratios. In any case, this is all small stuff. Don't sweat it. Just lift heavy and get plenty of protein. The rest will take care of itself.

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9358546)
Trutein is better than all the proteins listed. They actually disclose the ratios. In any case, this is all small stuff. Don't sweat it. Just lift heavy and get plenty of protein. The rest will take care of itself.

How does it taste?

QuikSsurfer 01-28-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9358584)
How does it taste?

Trutein tastes amazing.
I just prefer ON.

Saul Good 01-28-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9358546)

I don't do heavy lifting. My strength training is mostly pushup/situp variations with dumbbells/kettles from 3-25 pounds depending on the exercise.

BigCatDaddy 01-28-2013 02:55 PM

I'm busting balls to hit a 400lb bench this year. I had the same goal last year but tore my rotator cuff and couldnt bench from about Feb to October. I'm probably back up to 360-365 right now.

Silock 01-28-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9358775)
I don't do heavy lifting. My strength training is mostly pushup/situp variations with dumbbells/kettles from 3-25 pounds depending on the exercise.

Whatevs. You'll be fine.

And yes, Trutein tastes amazing, particularly the Cinnabun flavor.

Dayze 01-28-2013 03:57 PM

I think back to my Navy days; I used to lift for about 45 minutes 5 days a week, then run 3 miles afterwards.

....I couldn't do that now if my life depended on it lol

lewdog 01-28-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9357965)
Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on protein powders? How many grams per day?

I've been told I need one gram per pound of body weight per day, but holy shit...that's a ton. I'm 166 pounds. What are some of the bigger guys in the weight loss thread supposed to do? Seriously, you've got guys over there who weigh around four bills. Are they just supposed to pour they entire container into a give gallon bucket of water and slam it?

That's 13 scoops a day of that shit for just under 400 grams of protein.

I have experimented with a mix of protein amounts and continued heavy lifting over the years. For years I was 180lbs and getting 300 g of protein a day. Tons of chicken, shakes, tuna.

This past year, I continued to lift heavy like I always do and now get between 120-180 g of protein a day. I am gaining strength great right now and I definitely think the extreme high protein diets recommended to many bodybuilders are likely not needed. No harm if you like eating like that (the stress on the kidneys worries are bullshit!) but it isn't a requirement for muscle/strength gains. I still recommend 120-150 g protein for most trying to gain muscle/strength or lose fat.

penguinz 01-28-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9359259)
I have experimented with a mix of protein amounts and continued heavy lifting over the years. For years I was 180lbs and getting 300 g of protein a day. Tons of chicken, shakes, tuna.

This past year, I continued to lift heavy like I always do and now get between 120-180 g of protein a day. I am gaining strength great right now and I definitely think the extreme high protein diets recommended to many bodybuilders are likely not needed. No harm if you like eating like that (the stress on the kidneys worries are bullshit!) but it isn't a requirement for muscle/strength gains. I still recommend 120-150 g protein for most trying to gain muscle/strength or lose fat.

your body can process only about one gram per lb of current body weight so extreme amounts is a waste of time.

ThaVirus 01-28-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9359422)
your body can process only about one gram per lb of current body weight so extreme amounts is a waste of time.

That's what I've read. Unless you're on a Schwarzenegger-like routine, any excess is going to be stored as fat or energy or whatever..

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9359259)

That's about what I'm doing now. I'm supplementing 30 grams a day, and feel like that should be good.

Saul Good 01-29-2013 09:08 PM

Does anyone on here box or fight (MMA or similar)? I'm not talking about aerobics with a boxing theme like Title Boxing, but something where you actually take a punch.

Omaha 01-29-2013 10:42 PM

Anyone have tips for busting through a plateau on bench press?

Silock 01-29-2013 11:20 PM

Drop the weight by 20% and work back up slowly, like 2% per week. Don't overtrain chest. 5 reps or less per set, no more than 3 working sets twice a week.

That should help. Make sure you're getting enough protein and calories. And sleep.