ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

penguinz 01-02-2013 02:41 PM

*.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.*

Welcome to 2013! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

**From the 2012 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.

petegz28 01-02-2013 02:48 PM

Getting back into the fitness gig after tweaking my back several months ago. It's amazing how quickly you get out of shape.

However the first decision I made was to switch gyms. The YMCA is charging me $89 a month for 2 people. I am going to take a look at Aspen Athletics tomorrow where they charge $40 a month for 2 people and have better hours.

penguinz 01-02-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9269061)
Getting back into the fitness gig after tweaking my back several months ago. It's amazing how quickly you get out of shape.

However the first decision I made was to switch gyms. The YMCA is charging me $89 a month for 2 people. I am going to take a look at Aspen Athletics tomorrow where they charge $40 a month for 2 people and have better hours.

They should have better equipment as well.

DBOSHO 01-02-2013 02:52 PM

Im a member of anytime fitness but ive been to aspen as a guest. Its very nice. If i didnt live 5 minutes from anytime id consider switching.

The one in liberty had probably 50 cardio machines, plenty of freeweights and a sauna.

Silock 01-02-2013 06:12 PM

It felt good to get back in the gym this week. I had a month off between vacation, getting the flu, and then being out of town over Christmas. I managed to squeeze in a few soccer games in December, but didn't lift at all.

I'm sore as hell right now, but in a good way.

lewdog 01-02-2013 07:31 PM

I am working my way back to a 400lb sumo deadlift and 350lb squat after my last hip injury while maintaining 185-190lb bodyweight. So far singles at 385 and 330 with no lasting hip pain. Hope this pain free hip lasts in 2013!

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 06:56 PM

My normal workout would usually last around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. I'd start off with a mile run on the treadmill at 9 mph (around 6 minutes 40 seconds) before moving on to either upper or lower body weight lifting. For a while now I've been dealing with some pretty sharp pain in my knees so I know its likely to be a chronic thing.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance so getting them checked out is a no go; but I've recently switched to using the elliptical instead of the treadmill for my pre-workout cardio. I have to say its probably the best decision I could have made. I don't have any more issues with the stress of pounding my knees from running and don't dread my cardio any longer.

I'm pretty young at 23 and don't ever remember having (serious) knee problems until about a year or so ago. The worst 'injury' I've ever experienced was a pulled muscle back in high school. Never had a broken bone, torn ligament or anything of that nature as far as I'm aware. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with?

Hootie 01-06-2013 06:59 PM

I try and hit the gym every day and so far it has felt real good. I do about 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of lifting every day. Planet Fitness at $10 a month FTW

Buehler445 01-06-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9289888)
My normal workout would usually last around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so. I'd start off with a mile run on the treadmill at 9 mph (around 6 minutes 40 seconds) before moving on to either upper or lower body weight lifting. For a while now I've been dealing with some pretty sharp pain in my knees so I know its likely to be a chronic thing.

Anyway, I don't have health insurance so getting them checked out is a no go; but I've recently switched to using the elliptical instead of the treadmill for my pre-workout cardio. I have to say its probably the best decision I could have made. I don't have any more issues with the stress of pounding my knees from running and don't dread my cardio any longer.

I'm pretty young at 23 and don't ever remember having (serious) knee problems until about a year or so ago. The worst 'injury' I've ever experienced was a pulled muscle back in high school. Never had a broken bone, torn ligament or anything of that nature as far as I'm aware. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with?

Might give a chiropractor a try. They helped me out some with a knee problem. If it is all out of alignment, it can give your knee hell. Cheapest would by try new shoes. If they're wore out, they can be hard on your knees.

at 9 miles per day, you can go through shoes pretty quickly.

Buehler445 01-06-2013 07:03 PM

Good god. I wish I could get into a gym for that cheap. The one here is $75/month PER PERSON. That's a big no go.

Spott 01-06-2013 07:17 PM

I've been at Planet Fitness for $10.00 a month for the last 16 months. Once they started opening up around town the other ones became cheaper, too.

Hootie 01-06-2013 07:34 PM

not only is it $10 a month and a MASSIVE gym, BUT there is a pizza party every first Monday of the month...which just so happens to be tomorrow! YES! YES! YES!

Red Beans 01-06-2013 07:39 PM

I run three miles on my lunch everyday that I'm at work. That's about all. Occasionally, I use the undersized gym that's provided free of charged by my employer, but that's usually only when the weather drives me indoors.

I've got a pretty fast metabolism, but damn if that three mile jaunt doesn't make me eat like a ****ing bear.

Red Beans 01-06-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9289903)
Might give a chiropractor a try. They helped me out some with a knee problem. If it is all out of alignment, it can give your knee hell. Cheapest would by try new shoes. If they're wore out, they can be hard on your knees.

It's the shoes.

NewChief 01-06-2013 07:50 PM

I'm rocking it so far this year. I have a 24 kg kettlebell at home now, so I do a lot of my workout here. Enjoying a lot of crossfit/movnat type stuff using trees for pull-ups and muscle ups, my kids' new trampoline for cardio, sprints on the streets, kettlebell for swings, snatches, and presses as well as push ups and such just enjoying getting creative and working out at odd, flexible times.

ChiefsOne 01-06-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9289888)

Possibly your IT band, tendon to your knee from your upper leg. I have to stretch/warm up tons before my doesn't hurt. My daughter has the same problem and she's in her 20s.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9289903)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 9290047)
It's the shoes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsOne (Post 9290547)
Possibly your IT band, tendon to your knee from your upper leg. I have to stretch/warm up tons before my doesn't hurt. My daughter has the same problem and she's in her 20s.

Thanks, dudes.

Truthfully though, it could be anyone of those issues (or even something else entirely).

I have TERRIBLE posture, have worn the same workout shoes for the past 3 or 4 years, and NEVER stretch. Like, I stretch my hammies and quads for about 10 seconds each before starting my run. I haven't replaced my shoes because they don't seem to have any wear but perhaps I could look into a more comfortable brand. If it's my back- I'm ****ed..

Buck 01-06-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290570)
Thanks, dudes.

Truthfully though, it could be anyone of those issues (or even something else entirely).

I have TERRIBLE posture, have worn the same workout shoes for the past 3 or 4 years, and NEVER stretch. Like, I stretch my hammies and quads for about 10 seconds each before starting my run. I haven't replaced my shoes because they don't seem to have any wear but perhaps I could look into a more comfortable brand. If it's my back- I'm ****ed..

I was having issues until I made my feet into a V during squats and it went away.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9290574)
I was having issues until I made my feet into a V during squats and it went away.

LMAO Maybe that's an issue too. I've noticed the pain when I do squats sometimes, which makes doing them HELL, and have always just tried to push through it.

Also, I used to use that quad-leg-extender-machine-thingy which seemed to make it A LOT worse. I stopped using that when I switched to the elliptical.

The issue now is, with my gym being so small (PF FTW!), I'm extremely limited in my leg workouts. They basically just have squat racks, quad extenders, sitting-hamstring flexors, a butt extender thingy, and the hip adductors/abductors. Its tough to do any heavy lifting (I desperately need mass in my lower body) when I can max out all those bitch ass machines..

I've been debating just dropping lower body exercise altogether and joining a flag football league or something. I figure the explosion involved in playing could help me build some muscle in my legs.

Buck 01-06-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290589)
LMAO Maybe that's an issue too. I've noticed the pain when I do squats sometimes, which makes doing them HELL, and have always just tried to push through it.

Also, I used to use that quad-leg-extender-machine-thingy which seemed to make it A LOT worse. I stopped using that when I switched to the elliptical.

The issue now is, with my gym being so small (PF FTW!), I'm extremely limited in my leg workouts. They basically just have squat racks, quad extenders, sitting-hamstring flexors, a butt extender thingy, and the hip adductors/abductors. Its tough to do any heavy lifting (I desperately need mass in my lower body) when I can max out all those bitch ass machines..

I've been debating just dropping lower body exercise altogether and joining a flag football league or something. I figure the explosion involved in playing could help me build some muscle in my legs.

Maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard dude...I know how tempting it is to put more weight on because you feel beastly when you do, but it's not worth injuring yourself. I have to remind myself every day at the gym that I'm here for the long run, and not for this one explosive workout.

P.S. broke my ankle today and if anyone has ideas on what kind of weight training I can do (not sure if I can even do pushups), I'd appreciate it. Sorta bummin.

-King- 01-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9290026)
not only is it $10 a month and a MASSIVE gym, BUT there is a pizza party every first Monday of the month...which just so happens to be tomorrow! YES! YES! YES!

Seems kinda counter productive.... or smart business....

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9290612)
Maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard dude...I know how tempting it is to put more weight on because you feel beastly when you do, but it's not worth injuring yourself. I have to remind myself every day at the gym that I'm here for the long run, and not for this one explosive workout.

P.S. broke my ankle today and if anyone has ideas on what kind of weight training I can do (not sure if I can even do pushups), I'd appreciate it. Sorta bummin.

Eh, I'm 23, man.

Even if I found out I had a degenerative knee disease, I probably still wouldn't stop.

I'm really thinking its something else though. I shouldn't have issues with over exertion when going to the gym 3-5 times a week...

Buck 01-06-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9290633)

Free calories....just don't over do it.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9290633)

It really is.

To the guys in there trying to build mass, its a great thing; but I always have a laugh when I see the ladies get off the treadmill with nary a bead of sweat on their brow and take two slices of pizza to go. They don't even realize they're taking in more calories from those slices than they just spent the last half hour trying to burn.

Besides the workout they just gave their heart, it pretty much renders their entire workout worthless..

NewChief 01-06-2013 10:11 PM

My gym just serves free booze on a regular basis. Did bloody mary's and mimosas for Les Mills Launch Day on Saturday.

Omaha 01-06-2013 10:15 PM

I hurt my back over a year ago and it's still giving me trouble. I've been doing a lot of crossfire style workouts on my own, but I'm planning to join a real box this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my back cooperates.

ThaVirus 01-06-2013 10:18 PM

Picking up too many fat chicks, bro?

Omaha 01-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9290683)
Picking up too many fat chicks, bro?

Damn! You know me!

Omaha 01-09-2013 10:10 AM

OK, I have an appointment to check out a crossfit box in Omaha today. They offer a free session to check it out. This one is not very close to my house, but it's highly recommended. There's one really close to me, but it's brand new.

If I go ahead with this, I'll be spending a small fortune every year on gym memberships. (I will keep my membership at my old gym because my whole family uses it) Both gyms are quite pricey and my wife has been working weekly with a personal trainer.

Omaha 01-11-2013 03:14 PM

Welp, I did it. I pulled the trigger. They require 10 training sessions before I can start classes & I just completed my first one.

Silock 01-11-2013 03:21 PM

Well, I hope you get out of it whatever it is you're looking for.

Saul Good 01-11-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9306299)
Welp, I did it. I pulled the trigger. They require 10 training sessions before I can start classes & I just completed my first one.

Is that actual boxing training, or is it boxing-themed aerobics like Title Boxing?

NewChief 01-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9306363)
Is that actual boxing training, or is it boxing-themed aerobics like Title Boxing?

It's just a crossfit gym. They call them "boxes" in the Crossfit community. I think it's because a crossfit gym is usually pretty simple and unadorned with very little in the way of fancy gym equipment. Many of them are in like warehouses and shit.

Saul Good 01-11-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9306380)
It's just a crossfit gym. They call them "boxes" in the Crossfit community. I think it's because a crossfit gym is usually pretty simple and unadorned with very little in the way of fancy gym equipment. Many of them are in like warehouses and shit.

That's perfect for how I like to workout. Pushups, situp-style core building, and punches until you puke...

Omaha 01-11-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9306332)
Well, I hope you get out of it whatever it is you're looking for.

So do I. I get the impression you're not a fan.

I was doing "crossfit-style" workouts on my own at my normal gym. I took a lot of them from the crossfit.com site. I hurt my back pretty good doing that and had to take a lot of time off. I like the idea of always working with a coach and I love the intense workouts and variety. The initial deal I bought only comes with about a 2 month commitment. I think that's enough to see if I like it. If not, I'll go back to my old routines at my other gym.

Saul Good 01-11-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9290076)
I'm rocking it so far this year. I have a 24 kg kettlebell at home now, so I do a lot of my workout here. Enjoying a lot of crossfit/movnat type stuff using trees for pull-ups and muscle ups, my kids' new trampoline for cardio, sprints on the streets, kettlebell for swings, snatches, and presses as well as push ups and such just enjoying getting creative and working out at odd, flexible times.

What in the hell do you do with a kettle ball that size?

Omaha 01-11-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9290076)

I love working out with kettlebells.

NewChief 01-11-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9306410)
What in the hell do you do with a kettle ball that size?

Swings, snatches, clean and press, overhead press, turkish get ups.

My next purchase with be a 32 kg. The "mistake" most people make in their kettlebell training is using very light weight. Most people, though, need to use light weight because they haven't been trained in the proper movements for real kettlebell training and will get hurt if they use heavy weight.

Demonpenz 01-11-2013 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
6 times a week

Demonpenz 01-11-2013 04:21 PM

I haven't lifted since college and is amazing the growth you see in a short amount of time. I made a big effort to eat more chicken/fruit/veggies/Tuna and that has gave me enough energy to get through workouts.

Silock 01-11-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9306408)
So do I. I get the impression you're not a fan.

I was doing "crossfit-style" workouts on my own at my normal gym. I took a lot of them from the crossfit.com site. I hurt my back pretty good doing that and had to take a lot of time off. I like the idea of always working with a coach and I love the intense workouts and variety. The initial deal I bought only comes with about a 2 month commitment. I think that's enough to see if I like it. If not, I'll go back to my old routines at my other gym.

I'm not NOT a fan of it. I dislike some aspects of it, like the superiority complex SOME CF'ers get. They certainly don't all have it. It would never work for me because there is a complete lack of specificity in training, which leads to being mediocre at all things instead of great at a couple of things. With the amount of soccer I play, it would never work. But for most people who don't have that kind of activity to train for, it probably works just fine. If I just worked out on my own with no real goals in mind, I imagine I'd enjoy it quite a bit.

Hootie 01-11-2013 08:00 PM

I've missed one day in three weeks...I'm I'm beast mode right now, especially cardio.

Saul Good 01-11-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9306498)
Swings, snatches, clean and press, overhead press, turkish get ups.

My next purchase with be a 32 kg. The "mistake" most people make in their kettlebell training is using very light weight. Most people, though, need to use light weight because they haven't been trained in the proper movements for real kettlebell training and will get hurt if they use heavy weight.

So you're doing actual weight training with it? Interesting. I only use them to make things harder (adding weight, but not really weight lifting). Like I might get in a crunch position with a 12-15 pounder in my hands and touch the ground on either side of me back and forth or something. Imagining doing something like that with the kind of weight you're talking about makes me think I'd wind up in traction.

I do want to get something I can strap to my back to make pushups harder, though. The 45 pound weight I've been using from time to time is about to turn six, and he keeps getting heavier and heavier. I can't keep up.

ThaVirus 01-11-2013 08:52 PM

Speaking of weight resistance, anyone have any experience with weighted vests? I've been wanting to get one for a while now but haven't heard much about them.

NewChief 01-11-2013 09:24 PM

I'm sure most know this, but kettlebells are pretty old school despite their current techno p90x trendiness.

http://www.trainerjosh.com/old-school-kettlebell.jpg

NewChief 01-11-2013 09:29 PM

http://kettlebellfitnessdk.files.wor...8971.jpg?w=500

Omaha 01-14-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9307065)
Speaking of weight resistance, anyone have any experience with weighted vests? I've been wanting to get one for a while now but haven't heard much about them.

I've worked out with them. They're fun when you want to change things up.

lewdog 01-20-2013 09:31 AM

I Olympic front squatted 285 and back squatted 315 for 3 reps and 335 for a single this week! I have been eating like a horse and have put on about 10lbs in 6 weeks. Had to loosen the belt a little bit but I am ok with adding some fat on the short term to get stronger. I can cut 15lbs in 6 weeks with a strict diet.

Just happy to be back near some ok numbers on my lifts without any hip pain. Two things that I think have changed my hip for the better.... warm Arizona weather and never doing leg press.

Brock 01-20-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9307055)

I do want to get something I can strap to my back to make pushups harder, though. The 45 pound weight I've been using from time to time is about to turn six, and he keeps getting heavier and heavier. I can't keep up.

Fill a backpack with sand.

Saul Good 01-24-2013 06:37 PM

Trying to set some workout goals for 2013 that are attainable but still lofty enough to be challenging. I'm kind of flying blind when it comes to this sort of thing. Thinking about:

75 hours with my boxing/mma coach
25 sparring sessions (boxing)
250 total miles run

Demonpenz 01-24-2013 07:28 PM

I worked out with a cold the other day and passed out in the gym. Been to the doctor because I keep feeling like I am going to pass out. Probably volume depletion even though I drink alot of water :( no gymtime for me for awhile

lewdog 01-24-2013 07:30 PM

Sumo Deadlifted 405 for a single yesterday. Wasn't even a grinder! Holding steady at 195 lbs.

WV 01-24-2013 07:35 PM

Think I'm going to start P90X or P90X2 again. Been lifting pretty hard the past few months and want a change up and add more cardio. Still running, but nothing else. Just trying to decide which one to do again, both were good but different.

-King- 01-24-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9348836)
Think I'm going to start P90X or P90X2 again. Been lifting pretty hard the past few months and want a change up and add more cardio. Still running, but nothing else. Just trying to decide which one to do again, both were good but different.

Can you give a detailed review? I'm thinking of doing Insanity which is a little bit tougher than P90X but I'm not all the way sure. My weight range is about 179-183ish and I'm 5'10. So I'm not really trying to lose weight, just lose some fat and tone up.

Cmd'r&Chief 01-24-2013 07:56 PM

Started at 270 last Wednesday. Weighed in today at 263

Sorter 01-24-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9348874)
Can you give a detailed review? I'm thinking of doing Insanity which is a little bit tougher than P90X but I'm not all the way sure. My weight range is about 179-183ish and I'm 5'10. So I'm not really trying to lose weight, just lose some fat and tone up.

Get down to 160-65 and build up from there.

Your body should be in decent shape by then (assuming you're doing cardio 5X/week and lifting low weight/high reps 5X a week).

Once you get in shape, then you can start training heavily (weights 3X/W and still do cardio and explosive runs/body work outs (box jumps, bands, sprints, etc) )

JMO.

Sorter 01-24-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9348814)
Sumo Deadlifted 405 for a single yesterday. Wasn't even a grinder! Holding steady at 195 lbs.

sweetttt!!!

WV 01-24-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9348874)

I did Insanity as well and absolutely hated it. It is pure cardio where neither P90 program are. There is cardio incorporated into P90X and P90X2, but Insanity is nothing but cardio (unless you count pushups or Level 1 and 2 drills (basically burpees) as resistence training). Comparing the two is apples and oranges to me, so tougher is relative.

P90X is all about push ups and pull ups with some cardio exercises mixed in. You'll use dumbbells or bands in most other excercises (curls, shoulder presses, tricept extentions etc..) The cardio in P90X often incorporates some weight in the form of dumbbells or resistance bands too(think weighted lunge type stuff). The most pure cardio routines in P90X are Plyometrics (which will kick your ass for a good while) and Kenpo X (basically a kicking and punching cardio routine). You also have Yoga X mixed in. Yoga X is really tough for the first half, but just as you're ready to give up it gets better. My biggest beef with it was that it's 1.5 hours....too long some days and tough to fit in a schedule. Most P90X routines are about 1:15 including Ab Ripper X. You can modify the routines to fit your fitness level and will most likely have to unless you're in really good shape and used to the movements involved. There are also other discs that are less intense. You can sub Cardio X for Plyo if it really kicks your ass. X Stretch and Core synergistics are mixed in on your recovery weeks or recovery days. P90X has a weekly schedule.

P90X2 is kind of similar to P90X. The differences are that it incorporates an exercise ball (a medieval torture device) and while this one is also about push ups and pull ups, it has a huge emphasis on the core. Adding in the exercise ball is a whole other animal when doing push ups and dumbbell work outs (I've never felt as uncoordinated as I did in some of these). P90X2 also focuses on balance more also encorporating the exercise ball and doing various exercises on one leg or in different positions. You get updated versions of the Cardio routines too. Plyometrics is now Plyocide which is hard core, but coming from P90X wasn't as horrible as Plometrics was at first. If you start with P90X2 I'd imgine it would be pretty bad too though. Ab Ripper X is now X2 Ab ripper and it is a lot more core focused as well. I'll be honest and say that I only did X2 Yoga once or twice simply because of the time it took (68 minutes). Overall P90X2 routines are a bit shorter than P90X though. Also updated in P90X2 is there are no scheduled recovery weeks (you can add them where you feel you need them). Recovery time is incorporated sort of on day 7 with Recovery and Mobility, but I typically ran or rested on these days. P90X2 is phase based (2 phases) where you move on to the next phase when you feel you've mastered one.

You can google the work out routines, but here are some links to get an idea.
P90X workout schedule.
P90X2 Workout Schdule

I liked both P90X and P90X2, but it's tough to pick which I liked better because they are a little different. If you want more toning I would go with P90X2 as the core stuff really makes you sweat and of course is in my opinion more toning based all the way around. You will get toned with P90X, but it has more traditional pure strength moves IMO. Neither is going to gain you a lot of bulk, but I don't think you're looking for that.

It's been about a year since I did P90X and probably 6 months since I did P90X2, so my review probably could be a little better but I'm going off of memory.

Now about Insanity. I mentioned it, but I will again...I HATED it. It was novel for a couple weeks, but the non stop cardio was far from what I wanted to be doing. Some may dispute this part, but I felt I lost some of the muscle I gained through the P90 programs because Insanity simply isn't about that. Shawn T can claim crap like if you want arms like this do this exercise, but WTF ever. Any resistance training you're getting involves your body weight only.
Now it is hard as crap and makes you really sweat and kills your lungs (cardio speaking), so if that's what your after then it's great for that. It's also a good bit shorter than P90 so that part was nice as well (30 and 45 mins). Bottom line it was a great really intense cardio program (the MAX period is INSANE)....I just hated with a passion.
Here's a link to a Insanity Routine PDF.

Hope this helps.

Omaha 01-24-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9334819)
I Olympic front squatted 285 and back squatted 315 for 3 reps and 335 for a single this week! I have been eating like a horse and have put on about 10lbs in 6 weeks. Had to loosen the belt a little bit but I am ok with adding some fat on the short term to get stronger. I can cut 15lbs in 6 weeks with a strict diet.

Just happy to be back near some ok numbers on my lifts without any hip pain. Two things that I think have changed my hip for the better.... warm Arizona weather and never doing leg press.

Hip pain? You're old as shit, bro.

Omaha 01-24-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9349141)
I did Insanity as well and absolutely hated it. It is pure cardio where neither P90 program are. There is cardio incorporated into P90X and P90X2, but Insanity is nothing but cardio (unless you count pushups or Level 1 and 2 drills (basically burpees) as resistence training). Comparing the two is apples and oranges to me, so tougher is relative.

P90X is all about push ups and pull ups with some cardio exercises mixed in. You'll use dumbbells or bands in most other excercises (curls, shoulder presses, tricept extentions etc..) The cardio in P90X often incorporates some weight in the form of dumbbells or resistance bands too(think weighted lunge type stuff). The most pure cardio routines in P90X are Plyometrics (which will kick your ass for a good while) and Kenpo X (basically a kicking and punching cardio routine). You also have Yoga X mixed in. Yoga X is really tough for the first half, but just as you're ready to give up it gets better. My biggest beef with it was that it's 1.5 hours....too long some days and tough to fit in a schedule. Most P90X routines are about 1:15 including Ab Ripper X. You can modify the routines to fit your fitness level and will most likely have to unless you're in really good shape and used to the movements involved. There are also other discs that are less intense. You can sub Cardio X for Plyo if it really kicks your ass. X Stretch and Core synergistics are mixed in on your recovery weeks or recovery days. P90X has a weekly schedule.

P90X2 is kind of similar to P90X. The differences are that it incorporates an exercise ball (a medieval torture device) and while this one is also about push ups and pull ups, it has a huge emphasis on the core. Adding in the exercise ball is a whole other animal when doing push ups and dumbbell work outs (I've never felt as uncoordinated as I did in some of these). P90X2 also focuses on balance more also encorporating the exercise ball and doing various exercises on one leg or in different positions. You get updated versions of the Cardio routines too. Plyometrics is now Plyocide which is hard core, but coming from P90X wasn't as horrible as Plometrics was at first. If you start with P90X2 I'd imgine it would be pretty bad too though. Ab Ripper X is now X2 Ab ripper and it is a lot more core focused as well. I'll be honest and say that I only did X2 Yoga once or twice simply because of the time it took (68 minutes). Overall P90X2 routines are a bit shorter than P90X though. Also updated in P90X2 is there are no scheduled recovery weeks (you can add them where you feel you need them). Recovery time is incorporated sort of on day 7 with Recovery and Mobility, but I typically ran or rested on these days. P90X2 is phase based (2 phases) where you move on to the next phase when you feel you've mastered one.

P90X workout schedule.
P90X2 Workout Schdule

I liked both P90X and P90X2, but it's tough to pick which I liked better because they are a little different. If you want more toning I would go with P90X2 as the core stuff really makes you sweat and of course is in my opinion more toning based all the way around. You will get toned with P90X, but it has more traditional pure strength moves IMO. Neither is going to gain you a lot of bulk, but I don't think you're looking for that.

It's been about a year since I did P90X and probably 6 months since I did P90X2, so my review probably could be a little better but I'm going off of memory.

Now about Insanity. I mentioned it, but I will again...I HATED it. It was novel for a couple weeks, but the non stop cardio was far from what I wanted to be doing. Some may dispute this part, but I felt I lost some of the muscle I gained through the P90 programs because Insanity simply isn't about that. Shawn T can claim crap like if you want arms like this do this exercise, but WTF ever. Any resistance training you're getting involves your body weight only.
Now it is hard as crap and makes you really sweat and kills your lungs (cardio speaking), so if that's what your after then it's great for that. It's also a good bit shorter than P90 so that part was nice as well (30 and 45 mins). Bottom line it was a great really intense cardio program (the MAX period is INSANE)....I just hated with a passion.

Hope this helps.

Dude, that's a great review. I agree with every bit of it.

When I did p90x I bought a shorter Tony Horton yoga DVD to avoid the 1.5 hour yoga x.

lewdog 01-24-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9349220)
Hip pain? You're old as shit, bro.

ROFL

I feel like it. Olympic lifting for 2 years and doing cleans, snatches and squats 4-5x a week sure beat up my body. Hip issues are genetic related and Olympic lifting sure as **** aggravated the condition....no shock there I suppose! Was fun as hell lifting and competing for those few years though. I honestly think the warm Arizona weather is the biggest reason they now feel ok. Thinking of possibly getting back into Oly lifting sometime soon.

chiefzilla1501 01-24-2013 09:50 PM

Done all three.

p90x got me jacked. But never felt like I was in good cardio shape. Kenpo, for example, is complete crap. Never broke a sweat.

p90x2 is more for toning. You get better core and balance muscles, but you don't get jacked nor do you get in great cardio shape.

Insanity is pure cardio -- think it's a great program for women, but for men... meh, I'd rather lift. Plus Insanity can get boring over time.

I'm trying a p90x / Insanity hybrid. I prefer Insanity over p90x ploy and kenpo, and I prefer the "rest" Insanity stuff over Yoga. I'm hoping this will finally get me the balance between being jacked and feeling like I'm in decent cardio shape.

Quote:

P90X workout schedule.
P90X2 Workout Schdule

Hope this helps.

-King- 01-24-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

P90X workout schedule.
P90X2 Workout Schdule

Hope this helps.

Holy shit. :clap: 100x better than what I was expecting. Thanks.

Cmd'r&Chief 01-24-2013 10:57 PM

P90x without a shadow of doubt will work. And insanity, well it's even more intense then p90x.

For beginners who are extremely overweight or really out off shape, I would highly, highly recommend 10 minute Trainer. It is basically a simplified P90x broken down into 10 minute workouts. For those who are really out of shape. Start slow. If you try to start big. You will likely get discouraged. Start with 10 minute, move to p90x then move to insanity

Omaha 01-25-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9349282)
ROFL

I feel like it. Olympic lifting for 2 years and doing cleans, snatches and squats 4-5x a week sure beat up my body. Hip issues are genetic related and Olympic lifting sure as **** aggravated the condition....no shock there I suppose! Was fun as hell lifting and competing for those few years though. I honestly think the warm Arizona weather is the biggest reason they now feel ok. Thinking of possibly getting back into Oly lifting sometime soon.

:p Yeah. I hurt my lower back over a year ago and I still get pain shooting down my hip from it. It makes me feel old. I'm totally starting over with light weight to get my body functioning properly with good form and mobility. The crossfit box I've joined seems to be great for that.

Good luck!

Omaha 01-25-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmd'r&Chief (Post 9349462)
P90x without a shadow of doubt will work. And insanity, well it's even more intense then p90x.

For beginners who are extremely overweight or really out off shape, I would highly, highly recommend 10 minute Trainer. It is basically a simplified P90x broken down into 10 minute workouts. For those who are really out of shape. Start slow. If you try to start big. You will likely get discouraged. Start with 10 minute, move to p90x then move to insanity

Insanity is pretty worthless to me as it is. It needs to add some weight days.

WV 01-25-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9349300)
I'm trying a p90x / Insanity hybrid. I prefer Insanity over p90x ploy and kenpo, and I prefer the "rest" Insanity stuff over Yoga. I'm hoping this will finally get me the balance between being jacked and feeling like I'm in decent cardio shape.

I've debated going this route as well. I'm thinking this could be a good compromise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9349334)
Holy shit. :clap: 100x better than what I was expecting. Thanks.

NP :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9350326)
Insanity is pretty worthless to me as it is. It needs to add some weight days.

Exactly....

Omaha 01-26-2013 11:13 AM

Well, I just did my 3rd one/one training session at my new crossfit box which was dedicated to dead lift form. I'm loving the instruction. I learned a lot. Mostly that my deadlift was ****ed up. This is exactly what I wanted.

Saul Good 01-28-2013 10:09 AM

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on protein powders? How many grams per day?

I've been told I need one gram per pound of body weight per day, but holy shit...that's a ton. I'm 166 pounds. What are some of the bigger guys in the weight loss thread supposed to do? Seriously, you've got guys over there who weigh around four bills. Are they just supposed to pour they entire container into a give gallon bucket of water and slam it?

That's 13 scoops a day of that shit for just under 400 grams of protein.

penguinz 01-28-2013 10:38 AM

Frag 176-191, 5mg.... Anyone ever use it?

ArrowheadHawk 01-28-2013 11:23 AM

Here is my workout
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pu...7zXPcrw=s220-c
I'm fat and out of shape so it's kicking my ass which is a good thing. Also if I want I can incorporate props (like dumbells) into the training. I am down 13 pounds this month, which is good considering all the beer I have drank.

Silock 01-28-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9357965)
Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on protein powders? How many grams per day?

I've been told I need one gram per pound of body weight per day, but holy shit...that's a ton. I'm 166 pounds. What are some of the bigger guys in the weight loss thread supposed to do? Seriously, you've got guys over there who weigh around four bills. Are they just supposed to pour they entire container into a give gallon bucket of water and slam it?

120g is fine.

Omaha 01-28-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I think you're supposed to base the amount of protein on your target/ideal weight rather than your current weight. If you ate 400g of protein each day, your calorie intake would be ridiculous.

I like Complete Nutrition's V-Core. It's a bit pricey, but it tastes good and it only has 120 calories / 20g protein.

Tylerthigpen!1! 01-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

I'm a big fan of syntha-6. Great flavors.

QuikSsurfer 01-28-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1! (Post 9358358)
I'm a big fan of syntha-6. Great flavors.

There's a reason it tastes so good -- It contains high fructose corn syrup...

Try Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein --- ON is top quality and great taste.
http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit.../dp/B000QSNYGI

The Strawberry and Extreme Chocolate Milk (tastes just like a yoohoo) are both fantastic.

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9358382)
There's a reason it tastes so good -- It contains high fructose corn syrup...

Try Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein --- ON is top quality and great taste.
http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrit.../dp/B000QSNYGI

The Strawberry and Extreme Chocolate Milk (tastes just like a yoohoo) are both fantastic.

You beat me to it. It has nearly double the calories of the V-Core protein, but it DOES taste amazing.

Silock 01-28-2013 01:18 PM

Trutein is better than all the proteins listed. They actually disclose the ratios. In any case, this is all small stuff. Don't sweat it. Just lift heavy and get plenty of protein. The rest will take care of itself.

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9358546)
Trutein is better than all the proteins listed. They actually disclose the ratios. In any case, this is all small stuff. Don't sweat it. Just lift heavy and get plenty of protein. The rest will take care of itself.

How does it taste?

QuikSsurfer 01-28-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9358584)
How does it taste?

Trutein tastes amazing.
I just prefer ON.

Saul Good 01-28-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9358546)

I don't do heavy lifting. My strength training is mostly pushup/situp variations with dumbbells/kettles from 3-25 pounds depending on the exercise.