ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Misc I'm Adam Lanza's mother. Itís time for a meaningful conversation about mental illness (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267737)

something cooler 12-17-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9218252)
True. Extreme circumstances always change things. That goes back to the whole level of need thing.

You don't know if you don't go.

loochy 12-17-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9218255)

I think sometimes you can know.

This guy knows:

http://www.hispanicprblog.com/wp-con...0/03/Teeth.jpg

mr. tegu 12-17-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9218255)

We aren't talking about the types of people that can afford to go to the dentist to make sure they don't have a bacterial infection in their gums that could someday kill them. (At least I am not). If it gets to the point of terrible swelling or other effects then for their sake hopefully they realize at that point they need to go to a dentist and skip the therapist that week or month or whatever they need to cover cost. Edit - the guy above is a good example. Yikes!

O.city 12-17-2012 01:24 PM

And that guy above isn't even that bad of an example. Believe me, I've seen worse.

loochy 12-17-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9218300)
And that guy above isn't even that bad of an example. Believe me, I've seen worse.

geez. where do you even start?

Brock 12-17-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9218286)
We aren't talking about the types of people that can afford to go to the dentist to make sure they don't have a bacterial infection in their gums that could someday kill them. (At least I am not). If it gets to the point of terrible swelling or other effects then for their sake hopefully they realize at that point they need to go to a dentist and skip the therapist that week or month or whatever they need to cover cost. Edit - the guy above is a good example. Yikes!

It's all preventive, whether you're talking about therapy or the dentist.

J Diddy 12-17-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9218163)
And I'm not trying to say I deserve a huge inflated salary at the expense of others getting care. I'm simply saying the angst for doctors making these crazy salaries is misguided.

Without going through this thread are you a doctor?

O.city 12-17-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9218304)
geez. where do you even start?

Start with the worst, make your way forward.

Usually pain comes first, then things that are the closest to causing pain, then gums and preserving bone level and "gum" tissue, then nonfunctional teeth, then fillings, then esthetics etc.

mr. tegu 12-17-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9218309)
Start with the worst, make your way forward.

Usually pain comes first, then things that are the closest to causing pain, then gums and preserving bone level and "gum" tissue, then nonfunctional teeth, then fillings, then esthetics etc.

Seems like it would just be better if he didn't have any teeth at all. At least then it is like a blank slate.

O.city 12-17-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9218327)
Seems like it would just be better if he didn't have any teeth at all. At least then it is like a blank slate.

Eh, you wanna keep teeth at all cost. Even more than that, you wanna keep the bond that surrounds the teeth at a higher level.

Dentures alone are about 20 % of the natural chewing ability, added with eh stress of learning and using them. You can place implants to snap them on, but implants are similiar to teeth in the way they must be cleaned and maintained.

In the end, it's all on the person in situations like that. I, as the dentist, can only do so much.

Mosbonian 12-17-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9218151)
This post reeks of jealousy. 4 years of medical school (I will have 200,000 in debt at the end of my 4 years), 3-7 years of residency (most likely 6 or 7) where you are worked like a dog (80-90 hrs a week) and making 40k, and maybe a fellowship of 1-2 years for advanced specialties. I won't break even until I'm 34, maybe, so you're damn right I'm going to enjoy it. I have worked and continue to work my ass off, so I refuse to work for free.

Over-priced lifestyle. I can't stand people like you.

Sorry dude you don't get off that easy calling me out so pompously. I've seen too many sides of those in your profession both economically and personally.

Nice try though.....

Nobody's asking you to work for free, so leave that off your comments. Try a more common sense answer and we can debate this better.

Ultra Peanut 12-17-2012 01:51 PM

Anyone using the word "coddle" in relation to any of this can go **** themselves forever, for what it's worth.

Unless you're lucky enough to live in one of a select few parts of the country, mental health services are either nonexistent or prohibitively expensive. And I'm just talking about therapy with a psychologist, not the kind of intensive support and structure that people dealing with serious mental illnesses need.

The already inadequate amount of existing care is being cut thanks to glorious state and federal budget cuts. Gotta pay for those tax breaks somehow, and who gives a shit about the broken people who need that stuff? Just toss em in jail when they act up, that'll learn 'em bout responsibility and being capable of interacting with others on a functional level. Yip yip yip.

This is how the richest country in the history of the world "coddles" them. Jesus ****.

Mosbonian 12-17-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9218163)
And I'm not trying to say I deserve a huge inflated salary at the expense of others getting care. I'm simply saying the angst for doctors making these crazy salaries is misguided.

Really.....please get real. No one is saying that all Dr's make crazy salaries....but please spare me the paupers tale.

loochy 12-17-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9218375)
Anyone using the word "coddle" in relation to any of this can go **** themselves forever, for what it's worth.

Unless you're lucky enough to live in one of a select few parts of the country, mental health services are either nonexistent or prohibitively expensive. And I'm just talking about therapy with a psychologist, not the kind of intensive support and structure that people dealing with serious mental illnesses need.

The already inadequate amount of existing care is being cut thanks to glorious state and federal budget cuts. Gotta pay for those tax breaks somehow, and who gives a shit about the broken people who need that stuff? Just toss em in jail when they act up, that'll learn 'em bout responsibility and being capable of interacting with others on a functional level. Yip yip yip.

This is how the richest country in the history of the world "coddles" them. Jesus ****.

Cool. You pay for it.

memyselfI 12-17-2012 02:08 PM

It sounds like Nancy Lanza knew her son was dangerous. I've read he was taking medicine for schizophrenia and nothing made sense why she would have an arsenal in her home knowing the mental health challenges of her son. However, if she was a prepper it does make more sense that she was afraid of the outside world moreso than what was in her own home. I have to wonder about her state of mind as well. If she was paranoid or otherwise providing a reckless environment for her son.

He needed people around him to reassure and calm him. But if she is preparing for doomsday then she is hardly the rock of stability that her son needed at a time when he started to slip further and further into the abyss.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...turn-Adam.html