ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the hardest pitch to hit? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119387)

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 01:41 PM

What is the hardest pitch to hit?

I've never played organized baseball at any level, but I can't hit a knuckleball to save my live on MVP Baseball 2005.

Poll forthcoming.

Braincase 07-12-2005 01:43 PM

Spitball

ChiTown 07-12-2005 01:46 PM

First of all, there aren't many amateur pitchers that can throw an effective knuckle pitch. It's extremely difficult to control, and to place. Pitchers that try that pitch can get severely punished as it can often just "float" over the plate. Can you say Homerun Derby, AKA batting practice?

I think the hardest pitch to hit is a nasty curveball from a hard throwing pitcher. Guys that can toss a great fastball, and have a nasty curve can throw you so off balance that you can literally screw yourself into the batters box. jmo

KChiefsQT 07-12-2005 01:46 PM

The hardest pitch to hit is a well pitched slider(IMO).... otherwise I'd have to say a change-up.

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
First of all, there aren't manner amateur pitchers that can throw an effective knuckle pitch.

Tim Wakefield has been my nemesis on baseball games since I started playing them. I finally got to him last time I faced him. Going to throw slow, riding pitches, Tim? I'm going to steal all day long on your ass. 4321

Dremel 07-12-2005 01:48 PM

Phil Nekro Sandpaper Nuckler Special

shakesthecat 07-12-2005 01:50 PM

Orel Hershiser once said something to the effect of -The average person couldn't even catch a big league curveball, let alone hit one.

I agree with that.

Hammock Parties 07-12-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakesthecat
Orel Hershiser once said something to the effect of -The average person couldn't even catch a big league curveball, let alone hit one.

I agree with that.

Orel's the man. He has single-handedly turned the Rangers pitching around in the last 3 years.

TRing 07-12-2005 02:01 PM

The hardest pitch to hit is a 100 mph fastball on the black of the plate.... enough said

MOhillbilly 07-12-2005 02:02 PM

the hardest pitch to hit is the one 40 ft outta the strike zone.

TRing 07-12-2005 02:03 PM

to shay

gblowfish 07-12-2005 02:03 PM

The Beanball.
Because it hits you.
Ask Don Zimmer.

Dawson4004 07-12-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRing
The hardest pitch to hit is a 100 mph fastball on the black of the plate.... enough said

followed by the straight change....toughest combo in baseball.

cadmonkey 07-12-2005 02:05 PM

This is a tough question to answer with any sort of acurracy. This is completely depending on the type of pitcher you are facing.

If you are facing a hard throwing fastball pitcher, the hardest thing to do is try and hit his forkball. It looks like a fast ball but then shoots down about 5 feet in front of the plate.

If you are facing an off speed pitcher, like Wakefield, his fastball is is the hardest thing to hit because you are so used to a pitch coming at you 20 mphs slower so you can't pick up the speed as quick. Plus, these type of pitchers have little rhyme or reason behind when they pitch different speeds, so you are caught off gaurd.

The only reason why so many people say the knuckle is so hard to hit is because they don't see it often enough to practice it.

For my money, nothing is harder than a Forkball

cadmonkey 07-12-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawson4004
followed by the straight change....toughest combo in baseball.

Wrong, high and tight fast ball followed by a low and outside off speed pitch. You have the batter shaken up a bit and is terrified to lean over the plate at all, and he is still thinking about that fastball that almost took his head off.

Nastiest combo that most pitchers can't do because they themselves are too scared to go high and tight now without being tossed out of the game and fined.