ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Obama Cardinal Dolan says they will not yield to Obama (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256825)

HonestChieffan 03-04-2012 08:53 PM

Cardinal Dolan says they will not yield to Obama

(CNSNews.com) – Cardinal Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, sent a letter on Friday to all the Catholic bishops of the United States reasserting the conviction of the Catholic Church that it will not yield to the Obama administration’s command—issued in the form of a Health and Human Services regulation implementing the president’s health-care plan–that Catholics and Catholic institutions must violate the teachings of their faith by purchasing and providing health insurance plans that pay for sterilizations, contraceptives and abortifacients.

“We have made it clear in no uncertain terms to the government that we are not at peace with its invasive attempt to curtail the religious freedom we cherish as Catholics and Americans,” Cardinal Dolan wrote his brother bishops.

“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it,” he said.

“Since January 20, when the final, restrictive HHS Rule was first announced,” Cardinal Dolan wrote, “we have become certain of two things: religious freedom is under attack, and we will not cease our struggle to protect it.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/top-...ill-not-run-it

ClevelandBronco 03-04-2012 09:08 PM

Bravo, Your Eminence. Bravo.

ClevelandBronco 03-04-2012 09:15 PM

Y'know, it's relatively easy to divide and conquer Protestants, but it's just politically stupid to pick a fight with the Catholic Church.

Superbowltrashcan 03-04-2012 09:24 PM

I beg to differ...

The Cardinal may be setting himself up for a real problem if he tries to finally address the hypocrisy of the church position on this and many other issues as it compares to the actual practices of the practicing members of the American flock.... And yeah I am Catholic so I am not attacking an institution I am not familiar with....

ClevelandBronco 03-04-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan (Post 8417495)
The Cardinal may be setting himself up for a real problem if he tries to finally address the hypocrisy of the church position on this and many other issues as it compares to the actual practices of the practicing members of the American flock.... And yeah I am Catholic so I am not attacking an institution I am not familiar with....

Perhaps – just perhaps – the problem is with the flock and not the Church.

Bewbies 03-04-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 8417499)
Perhaps – just perhaps – the problem is with the flock and not the Church.

The problem is with the govt...

Bewbies 03-04-2012 09:28 PM

When Obama demands that Jews and Muslims eat pork maybe people would see a govt overstepping its bounds?

Superbowltrashcan 03-04-2012 09:30 PM

The Church position on this has narrowed severely since Vatican 2. Pretty sure they will be able to withstand any loss of revenue from the backlash though...

ClevelandBronco 03-04-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8417503)
The problem is with the govt...

Well, yeah, but I think that Mr. Superbowltrashcan was suggesting that the Catholic Church might be better off following its sheep rather than shepherding them.

HonestChieffan 03-04-2012 09:37 PM

Catholic Church will be around long after Obama

mikey23545 03-04-2012 09:49 PM

They better watch out or they may find they have to wear a yellow star attached to their clothing when out in public...

dirk digler 03-04-2012 09:50 PM

We are ****ing pissed and we will fight over covering contraception but we will continue to hide all the priests that are molesting your children.

Awesome

AustinChief 03-04-2012 10:10 PM

What amazes me about all of this is the idea that something as PURELY elective as contraception should even be CONSIDERED to be covered. When it comes to a national health care system, why are elective procedure even in the conversation?

Elective medicine has NO PLACE in a national health care mandate. Period.

Why stop at the Pill. Why not diet pills? Breast augmentation(I'm all for this actually), liposuction, fertility drugs, sex change operations, hair transplants, rogaine?

HonestChieffan 03-04-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8417596)
What amazes me about all of this is the idea that something as PURELY elective as contraception should even be CONSIDERED to be covered. When it comes to a national health care system, why are elective procedure even in the conversation?

Elective medicine has NO PLACE in a national health care mandate. Period.

Why stop at the Pill. Why not diet pills? Breast augmentation(I'm all for this actually), liposuction, fertility drugs, sex change operations, hair transplants, rogaine?

Well, you fail to understand this is a right. Once you buy into the idea its a right like free pot, a check every month, TV, and abortions you will cease to be amazed.

Ain't that something?

AustinChief 03-04-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 8417623)
Well, you fail to understand this is a right. Once you buy into the idea its a right like free pot, a check every month, TV, and abortions you will cease to be amazed.

Ain't that something?

ok, then how do we get "self image modification" to be a right? If we are going to hell, we may as well be surrounded by medically enhanced hot women while we go.