ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy SIII? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266327)

The Franchise 11-07-2012 03:17 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or Galaxy SIII?

I'm looking to upgrade from my EVO and I'm trying to decide between these two "phones". Anyone have either one? Anyone tried both? Hit me with your knowledge.

L.A. Chieffan 11-07-2012 03:22 PM

I have the S3 and love it. For what Ive seen and read the Note 2 is exactly the same only bigger and more "suped" up. So... yeah.

DMAC 11-07-2012 03:25 PM

How big are your hands?

The Franchise 11-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9096208)
How big are your hands?

The size of Fisty McTatt's head.

memyselfI 11-07-2012 03:30 PM

I have the S3 and it is literally the perfect phone, IMO. The width is perfect for my smallish hands and the length is good enough to see a ton of real estate in landscape. It is a bit long for my pocket but that is the only drawback. I love it. Can't wait to see what it's successor looks like.

DMAC 11-07-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9096216)

ROFL true

Yeah, your hands are small. Get an iphone.

Chazno 11-07-2012 04:13 PM

I'm looking at these two also along with the Nexus 4 which will be $350 unlocked.

loochy 11-07-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 9096360)
I'm looking at these two also along with the Nexus 4 which will be $350 unlocked.

I got my S3 at best buy for $99...good price. :)

KevB 11-07-2012 04:37 PM

Just got the Note 2 and love it so far (also coming from an EVO 4g). Really comes down to size and price I think. The Note 2 has a bit more horsepower as well. The S3 is also a great phone from all I've read and seen, so you can't go wrong.

-King- 11-07-2012 04:42 PM

Only bad thing about the S3 is the location of the power button. I always end up pushing a volume button on the other side when I push the power button. This either puts my phone on silent (if I press the down button) or on low ringer (if I press up). Then I'll end up with a missed call or text because it wasn't on vibrate.

WV 11-07-2012 04:47 PM

I'm waiting on the LG Optimus G before I decide. The specs are great on it, but I keep hearing negatives about LG's software support.

Stanley Nickels 11-07-2012 06:10 PM

Here are my issues with the S3, which I've owned for about a month and a half:

- Group Messaging. My friends use iMessage a lot, and there is little-to-no support for group text messaging. I have tried numerous third-party apps without luck (I hear Verizon Messenger is pretty good, but I have Sprint..), and constantly miss texts or receive group responses as individual messages.

- Silenced mode w/ headphone support. I use my headphones nearly all day. I listen to radio, podcasts, etc, and cannot keep my phone on "silent" if I want any volume through my headphones. If I receive any alerts (text/call) while listening, the actual device makes an external noise, too. I can silence alerts, but it would be more convenient to alert me via the headphones, and not the actual phone speaker.

- Poor WiFi signal. I have received absolutely TERRIBLE WiFi signal with this phone, despite having reset to factory defaults, and it's easily replicated with other devices right next to it. I know Apple artificially "boosts" the signal icon, but this is sporadic reception altogether, and I often lose signal when moving a matter of feet in any direction.

- Apps. I am VERY happy with the breadth and scope of Apps for the phone, especially those that allow you to tweak the way your phone acts (GUI), looks (alert colors), and sounds... but these apps often lacking. Certain apps simply aren't compatible with the S3, while others miss features that appear on the iPhone versions (my favorite app, TuneIn, is a radio app that has NO PAUSE FEATURE on the Android version).

The screen size is very nice, even if my palm does sometimes hit the "back" button while reaching for either the volume or power buttons; this is more an issue of me getting used to it, than it is a structural fault, despite Apple's advertising claims. The battery life is GREAT, as well.

Archie Bunker 11-07-2012 08:36 PM

I work for tech care at T-Mobile and I'd recommend the Note personally.

Dayze 11-07-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

LMAO

I still look through that thread now and again for a laugh. Even my wife looks at the thread with me.
I've tried to get her to join since she basically knows all about this place and most of the posters etc.

penguinz 11-08-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9096711)
Here are my issues with the S3, which I've owned for about a month and a half:

- Group Messaging. My friends use iMessage a lot, and there is little-to-no support for group text messaging. I have tried numerous third-party apps without luck (I hear Verizon Messenger is pretty good, but I have Sprint..), and constantly miss texts or receive group responses as individual messages.

- Silenced mode w/ headphone support. I use my headphones nearly all day. I listen to radio, podcasts, etc, and cannot keep my phone on "silent" if I want any volume through my headphones. If I receive any alerts (text/call) while listening, the actual device makes an external noise, too. I can silence alerts, but it would be more convenient to alert me via the headphones, and not the actual phone speaker.

- Poor WiFi signal. I have received absolutely TERRIBLE WiFi signal with this phone, despite having reset to factory defaults, and it's easily replicated with other devices right next to it. I know Apple artificially "boosts" the signal icon, but this is sporadic reception altogether, and I often lose signal when moving a matter of feet in any direction.

- Apps. I am VERY happy with the breadth and scope of Apps for the phone, especially those that allow you to tweak the way your phone acts (GUI), looks (alert colors), and sounds... but these apps often lacking. Certain apps simply aren't compatible with the S3, while others miss features that appear on the iPhone versions (my favorite app, TuneIn, is a radio app that has NO PAUSE FEATURE on the Android version).

The screen size is very nice, even if my palm does sometimes hit the "back" button while reaching for either the volume or power buttons; this is more an issue of me getting used to it, than it is a structural fault, despite Apple's advertising claims. The battery life is GREAT, as well.

I just got the s3 and get great wifi signals.

DJ's left nut 11-08-2012 10:13 AM

Okay, someone help me out here before I trade this phone back in for the EVO LTE.

I just got the SIII and the damn thing doesn't re-flow text when you zoom. If I zoom into a page, the browser leaves the text at the same size and makes me scroll left/right to get the text back on the page as I read.

Anyone that's had an HTC product knows that when you zoom, the text changes size/format to continue to stay on the screen and just lengthen the text column. It's much more user friendly for reading.

I like this SIII, it's lightening fast and does a lot of things very well. It appears to have far superior battery life to my EVO and I want to continue to stay up to speed with the latest technology. But this is a massive pain in the ass and a borderline deal breaker for me.

KevB 11-08-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9098128)
Okay, someone help me out here before I trade this phone back in for the EVO LTE.

I just got the SIII and the damn thing doesn't re-flow text when you zoom. If I zoom into a page, the browser leaves the text at the same size and makes me scroll left/right to get the text back on the page as I read.

Anyone that's had an HTC product knows that when you zoom, the text changes size/format to continue to stay on the screen and just lengthen the text column. It's much more user friendly for reading.

I like this SIII, it's lightening fast and does a lot of things very well. It appears to have far superior battery life to my EVO and I want to continue to stay up to speed with the latest technology. But this is a massive pain in the ass and a borderline deal breaker for me.

Just use Dolphin browser

DMAC 11-08-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9098236)
Just use Dolphin browser

Yeah, anything is better than the Samsung browser. It is pretty shitty. I use Chrome.

Don't use Touchwiz either.

loochy 11-08-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Just use Dolphin browser

If you use the Jetpack plugin, it's even better. It makes it really fast. :D

DJ's left nut 11-08-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Just use Dolphin browser

I tried Opera Mini and it didn't do it, nor did Chrome. I'll give the Dolphin a shot (though I thought I read that it didn't do it for the SIII, just the SII and the Note)

DaFace 11-08-2012 11:46 AM

Just because I don't wanna start a thread about it, the S3 outsold the iPhone last quarter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A70GG20121108

DJ's left nut 11-08-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Just use Dolphin browser

Okay, didn't work. What else ya got?

the Evo would actually move text around to fit into a single page as you pinch/zoom.

This does not do that.

DJ's left nut 11-08-2012 01:44 PM

FOUND ONE!! Opera Mobile appears to work correctly.

Regular Opera didn't, is it possible I downloaded the wrong Dolphin Browser? This crap's pretty foreign to me at this point as I was fine with my HTC browser.

-King- 11-08-2012 07:01 PM

Yeah. Im uninstalling dolphin too.

Downloading opera mobile. Hope it works on my S3 also.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie 11-08-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9098279)
I tried Opera Mini and it didn't do it, nor did Chrome. I'll give the Dolphin a shot (though I thought I read that it didn't do it for the SIII, just the SII and the Note)

Or Boat Browser. I really like it. Not a big fan of Samsungs stock browser

-King- 11-08-2012 08:46 PM

yeah. It works in opera, but man the font on this browser ****ing sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Plow 11-08-2012 09:57 PM

Love my SIII. My mom got the Note because she needs a little larger viewing screen. Had the SII and loved it so it was an easy choice for me. SIII is fast as hell.

SLAG 11-09-2012 06:56 AM

Note 2 has Quad core CPU and larger screen + the S-Pen

The Note 2 is very tempting but I too am waiting to see the Optimus G drop

Mr. Flopnuts 11-09-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

LMAO Don't know much about the Note. But I have the S3 and love it. I haven't even unlocked everything this phone does. It's ****ing incredible.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 10:21 AM

Well.....I've got 6 days before I can upgrade. Anyone picked up the Note 2 yet?

KCWolfman 12-26-2012 10:58 AM

I have the III and my daughter has the Note 2. Her processor is a little faster (Negligible, IMO) and the resolution is exactly the same.

She has split screen, but I have burst mode on my camera and NFC capability. The one factor that changed my mind and made me wish I had the Note 2 was the HDMI to USB capability. Other than that, I prefer the size of my screen as more one handed friendly than hers.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 11:03 AM

What's the big deal with burst mode?

jd1020 12-26-2012 11:03 AM

Just a couple months away from the first wave of 2013 phones...

Mr. Plow 12-26-2012 11:10 AM

Love my SIII. My mom has the Note. She got it because her eyes aren't what they once were so it's helped. For me, the Note is a bit bigger than I want.

Sooo....
If you want to be cool like me, get an SIII.
If you want to be like my mom, get a Note 2.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9241651)
Love my SIII. My mom has the Note. She got it because her eyes aren't what they once were so it's helped. For me, the Note is a bit bigger than I want.

Sooo....
If you want to be cool like me, get an SIII.
If you want to be like my mom, get a Note 2.

The Note 2 it is.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9241622)
I have the III and my daughter has the Note 2. Her processor is a little faster (Negligible, IMO) and the resolution is exactly the same.

She has split screen, but I have burst mode on my camera and NFC capability. The one factor that changed my mind and made me wish I had the Note 2 was the HDMI to USB capability. Other than that, I prefer the size of my screen as more one handed friendly than hers.

What kind of case did your daughter get?

Great Expectations 12-26-2012 11:20 AM

I've got the Note II, switched from an iPhone and love it. I've heard the Note I's apps crash a lot, but I haven't had that problem. My wife has smaller hands and is getting the S-III, but loves using my phone on car trips instead of her iPhone.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9241674)
I've got the Note II, switched from an iPhone and love it. I've heard the Note I's apps crash a lot, but I haven't had that problem. My wife has smaller hands and is getting the S-III, but loves using my phone on car trips instead of her iPhone.

What kind of case do you have?

ThaVirus 12-26-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9096390)
I got my S3 at best buy for $99...good price. :)

With a two year deal, I presume?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9098409)
Okay, didn't work. What else ya got?

the Evo would actually move text around to fit into a single page as you pinch/zoom.

This does not do that.

That's odd that your phone doesn't do that already. I have the first generation and it does that no problem...

Valiant 12-26-2012 12:10 PM

I have the note 2. Awesome.

Only thing you need is third party app for browsing so you can zoom articles to fit on one Page.

The Franchise 12-26-2012 12:11 PM

Anyone with a Note 2......what case do you have? If you have one....

KevB 12-26-2012 04:55 PM

I have the Note II and love it. My case is the Ringke slim, about $10 on Amazon. Protects back from scratching, but probably wouldn't save me if I dropped it. I'm extremely careful with my phone, and wanted a slim case so the phone would still comfortably fit in my pocket (which it does).

Great Expectations 12-26-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9241681)
What kind of case do you have?

Ionic, it is fine. Very good in my work clothes, but when wearing jeans it can get caught and pulled off on the edges.

Sure-Oz 12-27-2012 05:27 PM

I heard the SIII is nice...i chose to go with a Razr HD however due to the battery and it had similiar specs to the SIII

SLAG 12-29-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9100641)
Note 2 has Quad core CPU and larger screen + the S-Pen

The Note 2 is very tempting but I too am waiting to see the Optimus G drop

And with my Christmas Money I picked up an Optimus G

$99 at best buy - or amazon
What a deal

jeff h 12-29-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9247769)

What a deal

I went to a sprint store to look at the note 2 and see if they would price match (they wouldn't). I had researched it to death and wanted it. I checked out the LG in the store and decided I liked it much better. Went to best buy and picked it up for $49 (I signed up for the phone freedom discount last February). The phone is great and I don't regret not getting the note 2. The note is a great phone but the LG is a better fit for me.

The Franchise 12-29-2012 11:25 AM

What makes the Optimus G a better phone than the Note 2?

jeff h 12-29-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9248266)
What makes the Optimus G a better phone than the Note 2?

Specs are similar... Quad core etc. Battery is better on note 2 (i can go 16 hours with moderate use but I think the note is longer) . Size was the clincher for me. I couldn't handle the notes size. I'm still adjusting to the LG. I had a nexus s so it's quite a bit bigger. I like the stock rom on the LG. The devs have the bootloader unlocked. I'm rooted buy haven't seen a need to unlock.

L.A. Chieffan 12-29-2012 09:42 PM

I picked up the DNA, pretty cool. The screen is insane. 660 ppi something like that. I think it feels better in the hand than the note 2

The Franchise 01-02-2013 12:41 PM

Picked up the Note 2 yesterday. ****ing hell this thing is awesome.

MoreLemonPledge 01-02-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9247769)

What a deal

Just did the same exact thing after much research and deliberation. I haven't gotten a lot of time to play with it, bit this is easily the fastest mobile device I've ever had.

SLAG 01-02-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff h (Post 9248303)
Specs are similar... Quad core etc. Battery is better on note 2 (i can go 16 hours with moderate use but I think the note is longer) . Size was the clincher for me. I couldn't handle the notes size. I'm still adjusting to the LG. I had a nexus s so it's quite a bit bigger. I like the stock rom on the LG. The devs have the bootloader unlocked. I'm rooted buy haven't seen a need to unlock.

I just switched from the stock lg launcher to nova launcher and it's perfect for me.

I also unlocked. Just because once rooted there is a $1 app to have TWRP, installed for those interested its called FreeGee

WilliamTheIrish 01-05-2013 10:25 AM

Slag. What's TWRP?

SLAG 01-05-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9284700)
Slag. What's TWRP?

It is a Custom recovery for phones - a Alternate to ClockworkMod Recovery

I'm a fan of TeamWin's since the EVO 4G Days

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

jeff h 01-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9271766)
I just switched from the stock lg launcher to nova launcher and it's perfect for me.

I also unlocked. Just because once rooted there is a $1 app to have TWRP, installed for those interested its called FreeGee

I used nova on my nexus mainly to remember my home screens as I changed roms. It was great for that.

silver5liter 01-05-2013 06:09 PM

I've had the droid DNA for a few weeks now and love it

jd1020 01-06-2013 12:54 AM

Waiting on Sony to announce their new phones Monday (Xperia Z/ZL). 5 inch screens which are smaller than the S3. I really don't care about the screen size, I just want Sony to make a decent phone because they are the one company left that still bothers to put a FM transmitter in their phones and these are their first 100% true Sony phones. They are gunning for the iPhone and S3/4.

BigMeatballDave 01-06-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9284763)
It is a Custom recovery for phones - a Alternate to ClockworkMod Recovery

I'm a fan of TeamWin's since the EVO 4G Days

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

I used Amon Ra's recovery when I had the Evo.

I'll never use TWRP again. Hard-bricked my GS2 back in Nov.