ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Time Warner Cable Problems (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273428)

crossbow 05-28-2013 06:34 PM

Time Warner Cable Problems

Anybody else using TWC and getting a lag when your browser has to resolve a DNS? I have tired different browsers, changed out their modem and checked cables. Tracert results seem kinda high too (average of 38 ms per hop). Add up ten hops and you got a 4 second delay.

keg in kc 05-28-2013 07:57 PM

I'm a TWC customer, not seeing anything odd tonight, but I've been in an MMO and not browsing.

cookster50 05-29-2013 12:38 PM

It's probably just the aliens.

WoodDraw 05-29-2013 01:00 PM

What OS? What router? Did it just start happening, or has it always been like this?

DaveNull 05-29-2013 01:00 PM

Try switching to different DNS servers on your router.

Fish 05-29-2013 01:52 PM

I have the same problems with TW. DNS just mysteriously fails, and the only fix is to reboot the modem. Rebooting the router doesn't help. And the really weird thing is that I've tried several different DNS servers, and experienced the same results with each. I tried TW's default DNS servers, Google DNS, and OpenDNS. Each of them would just fail at random, and I'd have no internet until resetting the modem. Which makes me think it's their crappy modems themselves. I've let it go, to test whether it will eventually fix itself. And it does, but it's anywhere from a few hours to days.

**** TW. Google Fiber cannot get here soon enough....

keg in kc 05-29-2013 02:11 PM

I had that problem up until about 6 weeks ago fish. I swapped out modems and it was the end of it. Apparently they did a bunch of network upgrading in December that I didn't know anything about, and my old modem just couldn't handle it.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2013 02:12 PM

I also have this issue pretty frequently. Usually results in a call to the cable company to have THEM reset the modem (since the one they sent me has a battery pack built into it and no freaking OFF switch, making it impossible to manually re-set correctly).

Fish 05-29-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9716803)
I had that problem up until about 6 weeks ago fish. I swapped out modems and it was the end of it. Apparently they did a bunch of network upgrading in December that I didn't know anything about, and my old modem just couldn't handle it.

Yeah, I've contacted them about it, and they finally said I could bring it in and swap it out. But I've been too lazy to drive to their storefront and do it....

Good to know it'll likely fix it.

DaveNull 05-29-2013 03:51 PM

Yeah right. You'll just get the same modem that Keg turned in six weeks ago.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-03-2013 09:53 AM

Where I live we don't have the crappiness of Time Warner. We have the crappiness of Mediacom, which is why I went AT & T. No looking back.

DaveNull 06-03-2013 11:48 AM

The only thing Mediacom does effectively is give you an alternative to watching Pepper and Friends.