ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The OFFICIAL 2013 Mizzou Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268694)

CoMoChief 01-17-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9327653)
Big game Saturday!

Where is it at? Gainsville or Columbia?

DaKCMan AP 01-17-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9327669)
Where is it at? Gainsville or Columbia?

Gainesville.

They play in Columbia on Feb 19.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9327653)
Big game Saturday!

Eh, yes and no.

It should've been a real nice test for both squads, but Mizzou without Bowers isn't really Mizzou.

Even last night against Georgia, without Ross having arguably his best game of his Mizzou career, they'd have struggled mightily without Bowers. His ability to score from so many places on the court is what really creates the spacing in MU's offense and allows Pressey to be effective.

I don't really expect Mizzou to stay within 10 on Saturday.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9326613)
I'm really becoming concerned that Haith's coaching abilities have been exaggerated by the play of Pressey and, albeit to a lesser extent, Bowers. There is such poor movement from this offense, and while we don't have the greatest scorers in the world (Bell, Ross, and even AO are only out there because of their defense and rebounding) we should certainly see better production from guys not named Pressey or Brown. NWC has talent and potential; why is it, then, that his game seems to belong in Division II? Jankovic should utilize his height to become a weapon, but on offense he seems to take up space and ruin timing, and on defense he far too often is out of place or abused by speed. Ross should never shoot a three again, ever. I don't care if he's wide-open on the wing- STOP- SETUP A PLAY. Ugh.

The movement dies when they can't space the floor. They can't space the floor when Bowers isn't out there because frankly it was going to be Bowers and Dixon that created the space. When Haith lost his most creative scorer and now his 2nd most creative scorer...well what exactly is he supposed to do?

NWC has little in the way of talent or potential. He's too weak on the ball, his handles suck, his feet are slow. He's a less talented version of Matt Pressey. His struggles aren't on Haith unless you attribute them to the fact that Haith recruited and expected as much out of him as he has to begin with. Then again, Haith didn't expect NWC to play more than a supplemental role this season anyway. Dixon getting rapey really dicked up Haith's rotations.

Jankovic is a weapon on offense but he's not a low-post player. That's not his game and has never been his game. He's more of a Lyons/Bowers type player in that he's going to use his size to shoot over people and a surprisingly quick first step to beat them off the dribble. While he's tall, he's certainly not a thick kid; he's not going to bang in the post. He's a guy that's going to play a 'Euro' game (even though he's from Canada). He'll need time to develop the touch around the rim that Bowers has developed, but it took L-Bow 4 years to get there, why would we expect a Canadian Frosh to come pre-packaged with it?

And Ross is one of the top 3 long-range shooters on the team. His size/strength belies his shooting ability. His 35% shooting from 3 is more efficient than his 44% shooting from 2.

In short, I think virtually everything you've said in this post is wrong. Almost every single word of it.

CoMoChief 01-17-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9327695)
Gainesville.

They play in Columbia on Feb 19.

Well MU can't play for crap on the road....esp in a arena like that. Don't see MU winning that one.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9326820)
I would imagine they will start Criswell and Jankovic, at least initially, and run 4-out, one-in again. That would be interesting to see, especially if they have the jumbo backcourt out there. Both Criswell and Jankovic are good enough shooters to be the guy sitting in the corner (Kim English role) and both should be dangerous on the pick-and-roll.

Post should help and give them some additional beef, and you can probably sneak Rosburg for 3-4 minutes a game or based on matchups.

They need JW3 to be someone who can be a positive impact guy for 20-25 minutes a game, or they will be really thin in the middle.

Am I completely off base in believing that Post can provide us a great deal of the interior defense that Oriakhi is presently providing us?

And let's not act like Oriakhi is a wealth of low-post moves and refined center play. He's generallly little more than a garbage man down there.

It sure seems to me like Post at the 5 and Criswell at the 4 (and I love Ross at the 3) would be a very good front court. JW3 and Jankovic can continue to develop physically and be used primarily as energy and instant offense off the bench.

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9327748)
Am I completely off base in believing that Post can provide us a great deal of the interior defense that Oriakhi is presently providing us?

And let's not act like Oriakhi is a wealth of low-post moves and refined center play. He's generallly little more than a garbage man down there.

It sure seems to me like Post at the 5 and Criswell at the 4 (and I love Ross at the 3) would be a very good front court. JW3 and Jankovic can continue to develop physically and be used primarily as energy and instant offense off the bench.

Post has a lot of upside but still is pretty raw. If he improves as much over the summer as Tony Criswell did, he certainly could be in position to start in the middle. But that type of summer jump is pretty rare for JUCOs.

I think the primary offensive sets would struggle a bit with a starting lineup of Clarkson/Brown/Ross/Criswell/Post, but it's a long ways off.

As for this year's team... I see 23-24 wins in the regular season. Key thing I'm going to be watching for is how much they improve once they get healthy and the rotation solidifies again. They have the tools to be a tougher out in the tournament than last year's squad.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9327846)
Post has a lot of upside but still is pretty raw. If he improves as much over the summer as Tony Criswell did, he certainly could be in position to start in the middle. But that type of summer jump is pretty rare for JUCOs.

I think the primary offensive sets would struggle a bit with a starting lineup of Clarkson/Brown/Ross/Criswell/Post, but it's a long ways off.

As for this year's team... I see 23-24 wins in the regular season. Key thing I'm going to be watching for is how much they improve once they get healthy and the rotation solidifies again. They have the tools to be a tougher out in the tournament than last year's squad.

So many "what might have beens"....

With Dixon and Tony Mitchell wouldn't this have to be seen as one of the top 5 teams in the country?

Damn. Felled by rape and illiteracy...

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9327883)
So many "what might have beens"....

With Dixon and Tony Mitchell wouldn't this have to be seen as one of the top 5 teams in the country?

Damn. Felled by rape and illiteracy...

Yeah, Holdmy Dixon really screwed things up quite a bit.

If Tony Mitchell was going to qualify, he never would have committed to Mizzou.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 10:35 AM

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Jabari Brown. He's going to be a star. Actually, he reminds me of a more talented Dixon.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9327984)
I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Jabari Brown. He's going to be a star. Actually, he reminds me of a more talented Dixon.

Denmon with better floor vision.

Denmon was a fearless shooter and aggressive defender/rebounder. Brown does those things as well.

He'll have all of Denmons strengths but also the ability to see the floor and be a plus passer.

He's an NBA caliber talent. I've been incredibly impressed by how seamlessly he's blended into the offense. Once he gets a little better and knowing when he has to be aggressive (he gets tentative at times) he'll be a guy you can count on for 18-20 points every night.

He's an elite prospect, for sure.

duncan_idaho 01-17-2013 10:56 AM

I like Brown's game a lot... but I don't think he's nearly as adept in mid-range or at getting his own shot as Dixon. I love his basketball IQ and floor vision.

I think he's going to be a big-time scorer for them next year, along with Clarkson.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328043)
I like Brown's game a lot... but I don't think he's nearly as adept in mid-range or at getting his own shot as Dixon. I love his basketball IQ and floor vision.

I think he's going to be a big-time scorer for them next year, along with Clarkson.

Not yet, but I think he is father along than Dixon was as the same point in their careers (20 games in), and Brown is improving rapidly.

DJ's left nut 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9328043)

Yeah, I'm not sure Dixon's a great comp either. Dixon had a pretty unparalleled first step and Dixon could finish from essentially any angle (dammit...it is hard to not make entendres with this guy, isn't it?)

Dixon played a completely unconventional style but was so adept at it that he was a dynamic scorer. Brown will play a more conventional game but do it extremely well.

That's why I like the Denmon comp more.

Saul Good 01-17-2013 11:05 AM

I'm not really sure who he best compares to. I think we'll see his game evolve over the rest of the season and into next year. (Especially next year when he will need to be "the guy".)

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-17-2013 12:52 PM

He's a big bodied guard with some outside touch who can use his frame. He's a taller, more athletic Paul O'Liney

Saul Good 01-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9328293)
He's a big bodied guard with some outside touch who can use his frame. He's a taller, more athletic Paul O'Liney

I think you're under-selling Brown. Dude's over 41% from deep (better than his overall %age, incidentally). I'd put that well above "some outside touch". Not a bad comparison, but that's taking PO's junior and senior seasons against a sophomore JB.

Mizzou_8541 01-18-2013 08:47 PM

Sorry if Q, but Bowers has been ruled out tomorrow.

KcMizzou 01-18-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9331796)
Sorry if Q, but Bowers has been ruled out tomorrow.

Figured as much, but still... shit.

Mizzou_8541 01-18-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9331832)
Figured as much, but still... shit.

Yep. Florida by 20.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-18-2013 11:56 PM

Couldn't be a worse matchup. An athletic, pressing team against a team with one ballhandler that struggles against pressure. This could get real ****in' ugly.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 05:34 AM

as i'm new to the board, i have an honest question

how much smack talk on these boards (or this thread) between Mizz and Kan, e.g. Mizzou/KU?

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoyRDEE (Post 9332547)
as i'm new to the board, i have an honest question

how much smack talk on these boards (or this thread) between Mizz and Kan, e.g. Mizzou/KU?

There's a lot of it. Some are able to handle it well, others not so much.

Either way it's all fun. Wish MU didn't leave the Big12, they kinda put a damper on the college sports scene here in the KC area. The KU/MU basketball rivalry (game) was some of the funnest games I've ever watched....esp last year's at the Phog, numerous games at Columbia (where most of the close games were played, MU got thumped a lot of times at Kansas).

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 06:19 AM

been learning for about 6 years now about the whole state rivalry and the University rivalry as well, got a real close friend from Kan who went to KU, he loves the Chiefs and KU foot/basket ball

too bad you've lost part of the luster

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoyRDEE (Post 9332567)
been learning for about 6 years now about the whole state rivalry and the University rivalry as well, got a real close friend from Kan who went to KU, he loves the Chiefs and KU foot/basket ball

too bad you've lost part of the luster

Well on this board ....the rivalry has now turned to "who's fault it was that the rivalry died"

Obviously it's MU's...they're the ones that left the Big12.

But MU fans turn around and say childish shit like "Well KU is too scared to play MU that's why they won't schedule a non-conf game at Sprint Center".

Yeah....that's it.

KU is 19-5 against MU during the last 10 yrs but yup....they're scared.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 07:04 AM

ahh right, that is exactly the argument that ensued after Penn State left for the Big 10 with the Pitt rivalry

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoyRDEE (Post 9332587)
ahh right, that is exactly the argument that ensued after Penn State left for the Big 10 with the Pitt rivalry

You will find that ku fans care much more about mizzou, than mizzou fans care about ku. This is evidenced by numerous ku fans who consistently remind mizzou fans in the Mizzou thread exactly how much they don't care. It's hysterical. Resident troll comochief (who's nothing more than the butt of jokes on the board) and many other beakers like to come in to our thread and talk shit, but then turn around and say they don't care. Actually, most ku fans aren't bad at all, but there are a few who just cannot help them selves.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 07:29 AM

:popcorn:

DaKCMan AP 01-19-2013 07:48 AM

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...50069043_n.jpg

:)

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9332594)
You will find that ku fans care much more about mizzou, than mizzou fans care about ku. This is evidenced by numerous ku fans who consistently remind mizzou fans in the Mizzou thread exactly how much they don't care. It's hysterical. Resident troll comochief (who's nothing more than the butt of jokes on the board) and many other beakers like to come in to our thread and talk shit, but then turn around and say they don't care. Actually, most ku fans aren't bad at all, but there are a few who just cannot help them selves.

First of all ....I've never said I don't care....I care a lot about the rivalry. Anyone here who says they don't care about the rivalry is a liar.

The truth is....MU fans simply can't talk any shit...because they simply don't have anything to back it up with except multitudes of failure year after year.

Even MU's beloved football program is dead even H2H w/ Kansas...though most wouldn't believe it because KU has recently had some historically bad football teams. But KU wona BCS bowl not too long ago...something MU has never done despite whether or not they deserved to be there...they showed up and thumped the shit out of VTech.

Now clearly MU has a much better program now, and has had many more NFL players (and good ones) come out of that school. MU fans just don't like to hear facts. Most of them live in dreamlands.

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9332640)
First of all ....I've never said I don't care....I care a lot about the rivalry. Anyone here who says they don't care about the rivalry is a liar.

The truth is....MU fans simply can't talk any shit...because they simply don't have anything to back it up with except multitudes of failure year after year.

Even MU's beloved football program is dead even H2H w/ Kansas...though most wouldn't believe it because KU has recently had some historically bad football teams. But KU wona BCS bowl not too long ago...something MU has never done despite whether or not they deserved to be there...they showed up and thumped the shit out of VTech.

Now clearly MU has a much better program now, and has had many more NFL players (and good ones) come out of that school. MU fans just don't like to hear facts. Most of them live in dreamlands.

So I guess we can add "still butthurt" to como's list of descriptors.

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9332644)
So I guess we can add "still butthurt" to como's list of descriptors.

explain?

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 08:28 AM

MU hired Quin Snyder over Bill Self.....oh the irony LMAO

seamonster 01-19-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9332594)

Depends on who they are and where' they're at. Mizzou and KU graduates generally buy into the hype but people that like KU and Missouri basketball because they've from that area don't really care. I went to a different college but grew up in the suburbs outside of Wichita so I've been a lifelong KU fan and seriously give two f's about the manufactured rivalry. As long as I've watched KU they've bassically been whoring out MU. I personally couldn't stand Oklahoma and their sweaty jean shirt coach more so than MU, especially when they went through long periods of sucking and hiring crack heads for coaches.

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9332645)
explain?

The number of posts your have in this Mizzou thread alone. It's cool though. We are used to your obsession with us.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 08:43 AM

:popcorn:

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9332654)
The number of posts your have in this Mizzou thread alone. It's cool though. We are used to your obsession with us.

You call it obsession? I guess I'm the only one to ever talk shit on a rival team? You're delusional as hell man.

But whatever makes you little Tigger fans feel better.

Again...it comes down to the fact that MU has virtually no legs to stand on in this war. Never have. No success at all. Hopefully the rivalry is re-newed somehow for the sake of the fanbase here in KC...obviously that's up to the powers that be.

Saul Good 01-19-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9332640)

I have no problem with this. If you want to talk shit, talk shit. Just don't pretend that you don't care.

As for the "who is at fault for not playing" thing goes, obviously it goes both ways.

I used to have a job with several good friends as co-workers. I obviously saw them every day. When I left for a much better job, part of the deal was that I would have different co-workers. They didn't all refuse to ever hang out just because I didn't work with them. We still see each other regularly, just not as often because we don't work together. If you're friends, you associate with each other because you want to, not because your work (conference) schedule demands it.

Ceej 01-19-2013 10:17 AM

I can't believe you guys keep letting Como get to you.

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9332866)
I can't believe you guys keep letting Como get to you.

When he isn't trolling, como is a pretty cool guy. He just flips his douche switch on everything Mizzou.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9332896)
When he isn't trolling, como is a pretty cool guy. He just flips his douche switch on everything Mizzou.

tolerance for that should be a little higher when it comes to a rivalry, as long as he can bring it back and admit it every now and then

Pasta Little Brioni 01-19-2013 10:57 AM

Anyone who roots for a bball team of one school and a football team of the other's rival is pretty dumb anyway and not worth a response.

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9332927)
Anyone who roots for a bball team of one school and a football team of the other's rival is pretty dumb anyway and not worth a response.

:deevee:

loser

Ebolapox 01-19-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9332929)
:deevee:

loser

aside from your being a chiefs fan, one could easily call you a fair-weather fan. they're just the worst.

mnchiefsguy 01-19-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9332834)
You call it obsession? I guess I'm the only one to ever talk shit on a rival team? You're delusional as hell man.

But whatever makes you little Tigger fans feel better.

Again...it comes down to the fact that MU has virtually no legs to stand on in this war. Never have. No success at all. Hopefully the rivalry is re-newed somehow for the sake of the fanbase here in KC...obviously that's up to the powers that be.

Well, considering you post in the Mizzou thread all the time, and hardly ever in the KU thread, what would you call it?

Trolling would probably be a better word than obsession, I suppose.

ChiefBoyRDEE 01-19-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9332927)

is that true? cause that would be really weird

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9332979)
Well, considering you post in the Mizzou thread all the time, and hardly ever in the KU thread, what would you call it?

Trolling would probably be a better word than obsession, I suppose.

If this isn't made up bullshit i dunno what is

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoyRDEE (Post 9333000)
is that true? cause that would be really weird

No its a myth that's been twisted and turned and you name it.

At this point there's no reason to even argue about it

mnchiefsguy 01-19-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9333014)
If this isn't made up bullshit i dunno what is

I just scrolled through the last five pages or so of the KU thread....no posts at all from you. How many posts do you have in the last five pages of this thread?

People can judge for themselves.

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9333049)
I just scrolled through the last five pages or so of the KU thread....no posts at all from you. How many posts do you have in the last five pages of this thread?

People can judge for themselves.

Lol

DaKCMan AP 01-19-2013 01:03 PM

Game time!

Dartgod 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Great start Mizzou. :rolleyes:

Captain Obvious 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Mizzou has already shit the bed 3 times.

DaKCMan AP 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

hmm..

Captain Obvious 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 9333112)
Mizzou has already shit the bed 3 times.

Make that 4 times.

stonedstooge 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Tigers start out strong

Mizzou_8541 01-19-2013 01:09 PM

Lol this is going to be ugly

TrebMaxx 01-19-2013 01:10 PM

Thit's thickening.

Pepe Silvia 01-19-2013 01:13 PM

Ball game! This team sucks.

Dartgod 01-19-2013 01:13 PM

Not sure Bowers would make a difference here.

Dartgod 01-19-2013 01:14 PM

WTF Pressey?

petegz28 01-19-2013 01:17 PM

Game already over..**** this team

Pepe Silvia 01-19-2013 01:18 PM

I knew Donovan would put clown shoes on Haith.

stonedstooge 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

Pressey's a turnover machine today

Dartgod 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

:facepalm:

DaKCMan AP 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

Hope both teams are at full strength for the game in Columbia.

FTR, Florida is the #1 team in the Pomeroy ratings.
http://kenpom.com/

DeezNutz 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

Ill-prepared team. Florida might well be the better team, but there is no excuse for allowing them to run a layup line.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9333144)
Ill-prepared team. Florida might well be the better team, but there is no excuse for allowing them to run a layup line.

:spock:

Pepe Silvia 01-19-2013 01:32 PM

Damn, everything going their way.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-19-2013 01:34 PM

They just ****ing suck. No other excuses. Everything about this team is shitiful other than the preseason ranking

Mr_Tomahawk 01-19-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9333171)
They just ****ing suck. No other excuses. Everything about this team is shitiful other than the preseason ranking

I agree.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-19-2013 01:36 PM

A team with Missouri's size and slow rotations should run a 3-2 zone.

Dartgod 01-19-2013 01:39 PM

What a ****ing abortion.

Pepe Silvia 01-19-2013 01:43 PM

At first I thought they should have been ranked way lower but they need to be knocked out of the Top 25. Top teams do not play like this.

kstater 01-19-2013 01:49 PM

SEC SEC SEC

KChiefer 01-19-2013 01:50 PM

As an Illini fan, it can be worse guys. Chin up, at least you'll get Bowers back.

ChiTown 01-19-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9333144)

Might? I think FL might ultimately be a final 4 Team. Mizzou isn't in that class.

Saulbadguy 01-19-2013 01:52 PM

Floridas arena is atrocious

Spott 01-19-2013 01:55 PM

Damn, just saw the score. Glad I worked today and made and extra 400 bucks instead of going to the game.

|Zach| 01-19-2013 02:08 PM

welp. heh.