ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Bob Gretz is getting drunk right now. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201503)

Hammock Parties 01-31-2009 11:18 PM

Bob Gretz is getting drunk right now.

I am pleased to see his humanity injected into something. LMAO

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...bout-time.html

It’s About Time
January 31, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From Tampa, Florida

The world has been spinning pretty fast for the last 14 hours and I’m only now getting the chance to sit down and compose some thoughts about what happened today with the addition of Derrick Thomas to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

My first reaction at 2:40 p.m. EST when Hall of Fame President Steve Perry announced the six-man class of 2009 was: it’s about time!

My second reaction was one of relief.

My third reaction was one of joy when I saw the smile on Norma Hunt’s face. The first lady of the Chiefs was there for the announcement and she was giddy, not only about D.T. but another member of the class: Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson, one of the original owners from the first year of the American Football League.

I keep getting told these days that I need to make my posts more personal; that’s the way of the 21st Century Internet I’m told. That’s tough for me, because I wasn’t trained that way. I was taught to keep myself out of stories, to tell the facts, or provide analysis or commentary based on facts.

But somewhere along the way, I became part of the story when it came to D.T. and his five-year wait to get into the Hall of Fame. As the Kansas City representative on the 44-person Board of Selectors, it was my job for the last five years to present Thomas’ credentials for induction into the Hall.

And so his failure became my failure. I was roasted by talk-show mumblers, letter writers, e-mailers and those folks who live on the discussion boards. I’ve never been one who much cared what other people thought about me. I’m not trying to win friends and impress people. I’m trying to get reads and visitors to this site, just as I tried to get listeners in radio and subscribers for newspapers.

But after awhile it got old, because it was unfair. D.T. didn’t make the Hall for the first four years because it wasn’t his time. It had nothing to do with me. D.T. didn’t make the Hall because of me, although my friends say I should take the credit.

D.T. is a Hall of Famer because of D.T.

Over five years that he was a finalist, D.T.’s sacks total did not increase. He didn’t force any more fumbles. He didn’t score any more sacks. On first blush, his record was good enough.

But the group did not agree. They didn’t so much disagree, as the time was not right. I said throughout that there was no doubt in my mind that Thomas would make the Hall. Everyone needed to be patient. It was just a matter of time.

That time was Saturday in Tampa. Why? Got me. I’m not going to question what happened. I’ll just enjoy the results.

So what happened? The Board of the Selectors for the second straight year looked harder at defense than offense. Last year, four of the six inductees were defensive players. The class for this year has three of the six on the defensive side. That’s good, because an imbalance has grown over the years with so m any offensive players getting into Canton.

Now, seven of the last 12 have been defense.

That left out a couple of big name receivers, specifically Cris Carter both this year and last year, and Shannon Sharpe, new to the room this year. I’m sure the selectors will get grilled by the analysts and pundits for not providing Carter and Sharpe tickets to Canton.

They too will eventually get in. They just need to be patient.

Several things rolled in D.T.’s favor this year. One, there were two older members of the board who have never been in his corner who were not in the room. They were replaced by younger voters who grew up watching Thomas cause havoc. Two, he was the only linebacker on the ballot. There were two defensive ends and two defensive tackles. DT Cortez Kennedy and John Randle are worthy considerations for the Hall, but this was their first trip into the meeting room and their credentials were not so good that they were headed for immediate induction.

The defensive ends were Bruce Smith and Richard Dent. Smith was an automatic selection. Dent has a very good career record, including more sacks than D.T. and Super Bowl appearances.

Ultimately in the voting, Dent went the same way as Carter and Sharpe and when the voters were down to their final five, it was a lock.

And that sent Derrick Thomas to his rightful place, the hallowed halls of Canton, Ohio.

That’s it for now. I’m going to go pound a mojito or 12 and enjoy the moment. More on Sunday about the whole day, including the stuff you can’t get anywhere else: what actually went on in the voting room.

Halfcan 01-31-2009 11:23 PM

DT is the best ever!!

DaKCMan AP 01-31-2009 11:23 PM

Wonder which party or bar Gretz is at. Probably just drinking at his hotel.. Last night Channelside was crazy. Never seen it that busy.

Hammock Parties 01-31-2009 11:25 PM

I have this terrible mental image of Gretz grooving on the dance floor and grinding on drunk hotties.

BigRock 01-31-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5445246)
there were two older members of the board who have never been in his corner who were not in the room.

The original draft of Gretz' column had "fuk u dr z" after this line.

DeezNutz 01-31-2009 11:27 PM

Mojito?

I'm shocked.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-31-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Gretz
But after awhile it got old, because it was unfair. D.T. didn’t make the Hall for the first four years because it wasn’t his time. It had nothing to do with me. D.T. didn’t make the Hall because of me, although my friends say I should take the credit.

Eat my asshole you fat ****.

Deberg_1990 01-31-2009 11:29 PM

Just a couple of thoughts from this column...

Quote:

And so his failure became my failure. I was roasted by talk-show mumblers, letter writers, e-mailers and those folks who live on the discussion boards. I’ve never been one who much cared what other people thought about me. I’m not trying to win friends and impress people.

If you dont care, then why did you bring it up Blob??

Quote:

Over five years that he was a finalist, D.T.’s sacks total did not increase. He didn’t force any more fumbles. He didn’t score any more sacks. On first blush, his record was good enough.

Highlights my biggest complaint about the selection process.

Why is DT more of a Hall of Famer today than he was 5 years ago?

Or anyone for that matter??

"Bob" Dobbs 01-31-2009 11:30 PM

Bob Gretz < Ed Podolak

FAX 01-31-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5445278)
Highlights my biggest complaint about the selection process.

Why is DT more of a Hall of Famer today than he was 5 years ago?

Or anyone for that matter??

Excellent point, Mr. Deberg_1990. HOF selection is starting to look like a snowball dance at the Newark Drooling School's spring cotillion. The rules are weird.

I say fie on those morons. I'm super glad DT made it in, though. Finally.

FAX

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 02-01-2009 12:08 AM

That's how we feel about you. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5445264)
I have this terrible mental image of Gretz grooving on the dance floor and grinding on drunk hotties.

Deberg_1990 02-01-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

More on Sunday about the whole day, including the stuff you can’t get anywhere else

Is he working for Nick now??

Cormac 02-01-2009 01:20 AM

"pound a mojito"

???

Here are some things you can pound:

a) a case of beer
b) Jessica Simpson
c) another case of beer

But does anybody ever pound a mojito? Do you take the umbrella out first?

Phobia 02-01-2009 01:38 AM

Heh. I think Bob has every right to crow. I think maybe some criticism was natural. I criticized him myself. But good for him. He got it done this time. But his drink of choice really cracks me up.

Hammock Parties 02-01-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 5445505)
Heh. I think Bob has every right to crow. I think maybe some criticism was natural. I criticized him myself. But good for him. He got it done this time. But his drink of choice really cracks me up.

I can't stop thinking of the BACARDI MOJITO! commercials, complete with Bob in an affliction t-shirt and dark sunglasses, his hair spiked.