ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   TV on DVD (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114403)

Beatlemanu 04-18-2005 02:45 PM

TV on DVD

I never seem to have the time follow TV shows every week. And I don't have Tivo...yet... I've been buying a lot of TV shows on DVD. Mainly comedies, (Seinfeld, That 70's Show, etc...). This site was kinda helpful, but there too many to choose from... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

Are there any other shows that are worth buying on DVD???
Recommendations???

Gaz 04-18-2005 07:41 PM

We go for the offbeat stuff...

At Rancho Gaz, we have:

Sports Night
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Firefly
Good Eats

xoxo~
Gaz
Clearly a Whedon fan.

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2005 08:08 PM

All 5 seasons of the Soprano's. All nine seasons of the X-Files

Fezzic 04-18-2005 08:12 PM

Get: Red Dwarf

It's a MUST (very good british comedy)

redbrian 04-18-2005 09:13 PM

The Dead Zone Season One, is a great DVD set, the extra's are very good.

Miles 04-18-2005 09:27 PM

I really like renting them with nextflix as opposed to buying them. Mostly because I really watch a series once with the exception of comedies.

The Shield
Coupling (BBC)
Arrested Developmnet
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Farscape (only if you like scifi)
Firefly (also scifi)
24 (has no replay value though so i wouldnt reccomend buying)

Bowser 04-18-2005 09:30 PM

If the NBC show "Scrubs" is out on DVD, I will definitely be nabbing it!

Miles 04-18-2005 10:25 PM

The history channel thread remined me of another one. If you dont already have the Band of Brothers box set its a must have.

Bowers suggestion of Scrubs is also another great one.

Frazod 04-18-2005 10:28 PM

In addition to Band of Brothers, I have seasons 3, 4 and 5 of Star Trek Next Generation. Eventually I'll probably pick up the first three seasons of M*A*S*H and later seasons of Night Court (season 1 is out now, but Markie Post isn't in the first season, so to hell with that).

I keep hoping WKRP will come out on DVD, but I've heard there are all sorts of royalty issues with the original music, so sadly it may never happen.

Saulbadguy 04-18-2005 10:32 PM

That is a great website..I check it once a week to see whats coming out. Here is whats in my collection:

Seinfeld Seasons 1-3
South Park Seasons 1-5
Simpsons Season 1-5
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume 2 (GF has 4,5,6, and 7)
Pee Wee's Playhouse (not sure which volumes I have)
All of the "Best of" SNL series
Wildboyz
Viva la Bam
Garfield and Friends
Monty Pythons Flying Circus Volume 1-14
Freakazoid (Home made) :D
Crank Yankers Season 1
In Living Color Season 1 and 2
Married..with Children Seasons 1 and 2
Jackass Volume 2&3 (Volume 1 was never made..)
Looney Tunes the Golden Collection Volume 1 and 2
Malcolm in the Middle Season 1
Mr. Bill's Disasterpiece Theater Definitive Collection
Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean
Ren & Stimpy - The Complete First and Second Seasons
The Upright Citizens Brigade - The Complete First Season

I'm working on a full collection of MST3K and Dr Katz, Professional Therapist. MST3K and Rhino are doing a pretty good job of releasing the series, but there are no plans for putting Dr Katz on a DVD set.

Deberg_1990 04-18-2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod

I keep hoping WKRP will come out on DVD, but I've heard there are all sorts of royalty issues with the original music, so sadly it may never happen.

i used to love that show. That would suck if it never came out on DVD. I have the Greatest American Hero box set and they had some rights issues with alot of the original songs as well. They just added in some new songs where the old ones used to be. It sounds a little awkward but its not anything too major. At least the famous original theme song remains.

Frazod 04-18-2005 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
i used to love that show. That would suck if it never came out on DVD. I have the Greatest American Hero box set and they had some rights issues with alot of the original songs as well. They just added in some new songs where the old ones used to be. It sounds a little awkward but its not anything too major. At least the famous original theme song remains.

Losing the original music would really hurt WKRP. I really don't see how they could do it unless this issue is resolved.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to accommodate the royalties. But I may be in the minority on that issue.

Saulbadguy 04-18-2005 10:39 PM

Royalties are what is keeping most of the older shows from coming to DVD. New shows, i'm assuming that is all worked out in the contracts before the show is even filmed.

Seinfeld took forever because Jerry is well, greedy. Simpsons is taking forever because..well, I dunno. They claim its because they are still working on new episodes for the Simpsons. They aren't working very hard on em..they suck.

Miles 04-18-2005 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
New shows, i'm assuming that is all worked out in the contracts before the show is even filmed.

Seinfeld took forever because Jerry is well, greedy. Simpsons is taking forever because..well, I dunno. They claim its because they are still working on new episodes for the Simpsons. They aren't working very hard on em..they suck.

Just a complete guess here, but i wonder if the popularity of those two shows in sindication has anything to do with it?

Frazod 04-18-2005 10:53 PM

For WKRP fans:

I found a link to an audio feed of the "turkey drop" scene.

http://radio.about.com/library/blwkr...ydropaudio.htm

Obviously funnier with the video, but the audio is still funny as hell.