ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Sandals vacations (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190368)

Mr. Plow 06-20-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9764259)
Wow. I guess I think of them like I think of cruises. It's all the food and stuff, but you have to pay for soda or alcohol.

When we went, we kind of thought the same thing. They explained pretty quickly that the employees won't accept tips and that you could eat or drink anything on property at anytime without paying. Basically, once you get to the property, you can lock your wallet up until you leave.

They had like 5 or 6 restaurants on property that served a variety of foods from like 6am-3am. The "mini bar" in our room had 6 different kinds of alcohol from vodka, rum, etc - all included in the cost.

We had so much fun while we were there. We are likely going to pick a different location and go next year.

MIAdragon 06-20-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9764290)
When we went, we kind of thought the same thing. They explained pretty quickly that the employees won't accept tips and that you could eat or drink anything on property at anytime without paying. Basically, once you get to the property, you can lock your wallet up until you leave.

They had like 5 or 6 restaurants on property that served a variety of foods from like 6am-3am. The "mini bar" in our room had 6 different kinds of alcohol from vodka, rum, etc - all included in the cost.

We had so much fun while we were there. We are likely going to pick a different location and go next year.

Our first night we were leaving dinner I dropped a 20 on the table and swear it didn't even hit the table before the server snatched it up. On the way out a staff member pulled us aside saying 'while we appreciate your generosity tipping is highly discouraged here". I still tipped our dive captain (who on our final day took the wife and I out for a private tour of the island) and a few of the other staff members.

Mr. Plow 06-20-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 9764333)
Our first night we were leaving dinner I dropped a 20 on the table and swear it didn't even hit the table before the server snatched it up. On the way out a staff member pulled us aside saying 'while we appreciate your generosity tipping is highly discouraged here". I still tipped our dive captain (who on our final day took the wife and I out for a private tour of the island) and a few of the other staff members.

I felt odd not tipping because most of the staff was overly helpful & basically bent over backwards to make sure our stay was great.

We had a candlelit dinner on the beach one evening and the waitress that was taking care of us went the extra mile to make sure the dinner was awesome. I would have loved to tip her because she deserved it for all she did for us.

DaKCMan AP 06-20-2013 09:51 AM

I'm sure these are fun vacations but I'd rather make my own plans, explore an area, go where the locals go, etc.

luv 06-20-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9764473)
I'm sure these are fun vacations but I'd rather make my own plans, explore an area, go where the locals go, etc.

That sounds fun, too, but sometimes it would be nice to just get away, have a little bit of luxury, and not have to worry about a single thing.

crossbow 06-20-2013 11:13 AM

Don't know about Sandals but we go to Dominican Republic. Great beaches and Spanish hospitality. Best coffee in the world.

aturnis 06-20-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

You must not work hard enough. Planning our next vacation, my fiance mentioned all kinds of touristy spots and I said no way. Between all the stress at work the last year(big projects) and home(16yr old girl, 2.5yr old boy) I ain't walking around and stressing to see shit. I'm putting my feet up on a beach and getting everything I want at the wave of a hand. Preferably Sandals Jamaica, so I can get lit up and really let the stress melt away.

DaveNull 06-20-2013 12:20 PM

I also endorse going all the way and getting the big ballet suites that come with butler service. When you show up, you get a cell phone and they bring you whatever you need from the morning until about 8 or 9 in the evening. My suite also had a bar that my guy kept fully stocked all the time.

There was one suite that was a level above ours, known locally as the Bill Clinton Suite.

Next time I'm getting that one.

seaofred 06-20-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9764650)
Don't know about Sandals but we go to Dominican Republic. Great beaches and Spanish hospitality. Best coffee in the world.

Not according to the show "The Lookout" that was on ABC last night. They did an expose on the Dun Juan Resort. It was pretty crazy.

mr. tegu 06-20-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

This. On our honeymoon, we had the ultimate relaxation and still got whatever we wanted, whenever. We were free to use whatever resources (snorkling, parasailing, etc.) we wanted and were able to visit all the best restaraunts since quite a few of the hotels, including our own, had their restaraunts right on the beach.

You don't have to have an all inclusive to get drinks delivered to you while laying on the beach. It also helped that where we went there are no private beaches allowed so you can go whereever you please. We wouldn't have had nearly as much fun if we just went there in stayed in a resort the entire time to ensure we got our monies worth. We really got to experience the entire island as if we lived there.

DaKCMan AP 06-20-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9764713)
You must not work hard enough. Planning our next vacation, my fiance mentioned all kinds of touristy spots and I said no way. Between all the stress at work the last year(big projects) and home(16yr old girl, 2.5yr old boy) I ain't walking around and stressing to see shit. I'm putting my feet up on a beach and getting everything I want at the wave of a hand. Preferably Sandals Jamaica, so I can get lit up and really let the stress melt away.

Eh... I work very hard. Travel is one of my biggest passions so I enjoy researching, planning, and then visiting places all over the world. It also doesn't hurt that nearly any week of the year I can drive 15 minutes to a white sandy beach and relax.

007 01-28-2016 01:24 AM

Looks like I will be heading back in a little over a year. Can't wait.

loochy 01-28-2016 10:43 AM

feelin hot hot hot

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6547759ac7.jpg

Mr. Plow 01-28-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 12053365)
Looks like I will be heading back in a little over a year. Can't wait.

Which resort? I'm lazy & don't want to dig through the thread.

Phobia 01-28-2016 11:55 AM

I've done St Lucia. You can spend money on premium drinks and at least one of their restaurants is an upcharge. But it's not outrageous.