ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV PlayOn Browser Extension (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279655)

listopencil 12-17-2013 06:17 PM

PlayOn Browser Extension

I've had a Roku and NetFlix for about a year and a half I've enjoyed it. I dumped cable/satellite quite a while ago, and this combination has changed the way we watch TV in our house. I got a lifetime PlayOn license with the Roku. It's not earth shattering or anything but it does provide a bit of content. I just now got around to trying the PlayOn browser extension. When you find something on the internet that you want to watch you just click on the PlayOn icon on your browser and go through a simple process to have the content streamed to your TV. There are a lot of ways to accomplish virtually the same thing but I wanted to throw this out there for anyone who is set up in a similar way; unsmart TV, Roku and wireless high speed internet. This is a very simple way to watch what you find.

ragedogg69 12-17-2013 06:32 PM

I bought a lifetime license from PlayOn back when they started. It was back when Hulu only wanted to be on computers and not TVs. So playon was a work around for that. Hulu broke PlayOn every week it seemed and they woudl patch it.

Then PlayOn decided my "lifetime" license no longer counted and they were going to a yearly subscription. For something that barely worked, it was a bold move. I havn't looked back since. Apparently they went back to the lifetime model.

KevB 12-17-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10288421)
I bought a lifetime license from PlayOn back when they started. It was back when Hulu only wanted to be on computers and not TVs. So playon was a work around for that. Hulu broke PlayOn every week it seemed and they woudl patch it.

Then PlayOn decided my "lifetime" license no longer counted and they were going to a yearly subscription. For something that barely worked, it was a bold move. I havn't looked back since. Apparently they went back to the lifetime model.

I was /am in the exact same boat. When lifetime no longer meant lifetime, I was done with them.

listopencil 12-18-2013 01:00 AM

That's too bad. Sounds like they ****ed over their subscribers and lost people. Mine was free with the Roku.

SLAG 12-18-2013 01:28 AM

I use to love Play on but I've switched to Plex and I'm glad I did

ragedogg69 12-18-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 10289505)
I use to love Play on but I've switched to Plex and I'm glad I did

I read that plex was no longer going to be free? I am an XBMC guy that can play raw media without transcoding, but I read plex is the best. Now they are going to start charging?

SLAG 12-18-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10289613)
I read that plex was no longer going to be free? I am an XBMC guy that can play raw media without transcoding, but I read plex is the best. Now they are going to start charging?

Plex's monetary model is they have plex pass which gives you more options and features before regular plex users.

Also they charge for their mobile apps

I don't think nor have I heard that they are changing from that model

Rausch 12-18-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 10289668)
Plex's monetary model is they have plex pass which gives you more options and features before regular plex users.

Also they charge for their mobile apps

I don't think nor have I heard that they are changing from that model

I use it and haven't heard anything about pay only.

Love Plex by the way...

listopencil 12-20-2013 12:14 AM

I checked Plex out...but it seems to only play media that already exists on your computer?

007 12-20-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10295757)
I checked Plex out...but it seems to only play media that already exists on your computer?

From what I understand that is all it is. A media server for your computer. I thought about getting Plex for my Surface RT until I found out it wouldn't play video files stored on my tablet.

listopencil 12-20-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10295806)
From what I understand that is all it is. A media server for your computer. I thought about getting Plex for my Surface RT until I found out it wouldn't play video files stored on my tablet.

Ah. That's not what I was looking for. The PlayOn browser extension lets you stream videos from your browser to your Roku. So you could, for instance, go to a website and find a video that you wanted. Click the PlayOn icon on your browser and go through a couple of clicks, that video is now playing on your TV.

SLAG 12-23-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10295843)
Ah. That's not what I was looking for. The PlayOn browser extension lets you stream videos from your browser to your Roku. So you could, for instance, go to a website and find a video that you wanted. Click the PlayOn icon on your browser and go through a couple of clicks, that video is now playing on your TV.

Plex has this feature
I have a special JavaScript bookmarklet saved that they give you - when you click it it grabs tthe video and puts it in your plex queue

bishop_74 12-23-2013 11:00 AM

I have both Playon and Plex. I am starting to lean towards Plex, but they dont have the number of scripts for it that Playon does. Just look for Plex apps and they do have a few apps to stream content from the web.

jjjayb 12-24-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop_74 (Post 10305918)
I have both Playon and Plex. I am starting to lean towards Plex, but they dont have the number of scripts for it that Playon does. Just look for Plex apps and they do have a few apps to stream content from the web.

I use plex much more than Playon anymore. They don't have as many scripts as playon, but the send to plex option makes up for that a bit.

listopencil 12-25-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 10305906)
Plex has this feature
I have a special JavaScript bookmarklet saved that they give you - when you click it it grabs tthe video and puts it in your plex queue

Thanks, I'll check that out.