ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

Rain Man 06-25-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7715193)
I wish they would add another route. Maybe a South-North or something. I'm just into Kentucky but have already begun wondering what I'm going to use for motivation once I'm done.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if you could jury-rig something out of google maps. Do they have street view for highways?

Rain Man 07-16-2011 10:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm at 2,100 miles now. 2,105.7 to be exact, and I am now in the great state of Colorado. I am officially more than halfway across the U.S. now, and boy are my arms tired.

Old Dog 07-17-2011 08:19 AM

Congrats

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-17-2011 08:21 AM

Does this idea have any room for pitting people against each other with exotic weaponry?

In!

Old Dog 09-28-2011 07:38 AM

Hit the 1,000 mile mark this morning (I know it's not a "state line" but I would have never thought I would do 1,000 miles in a year, let alone in nine months).
Should hit Illinois by the end of next month.

Rain Man 09-28-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truebigdog (Post 7949168)
Hit the 1,000 mile mark this morning (I know it's not a "state line" but I would have never thought I would do 1,000 miles in a year, let alone in nine months).
Should hit Illinois by the end of next month.

Awesome. Congrats! Illinois is nice because it goes really quick and you get to cross the river at the end.

I'm still cruising along, currently at 2,375 miles just outside Dillon, Colorado, headed toward Wyoming.

Old Dog 10-19-2011 05:12 PM

Crossed into Illinois after four miles this afternoon.

ziggysocki 10-20-2011 09:11 AM

I am terrible at doing repetitive things like logging miles, but I have run a lot since this thread started. According to my garmin connect stats I am around 1460 miles since this thread started. I have done a few miles where I forgot my forerunner or the battery died.. but that is pretty close. I have also run several trail races this year (and a road marathon) April - 100K Trail Ultra, June - 50K Trail Ultra, September 11 - Road Marathon 26.2 mi, September 23 - 50K Trail Ultra. I am doing another 50K Trail Ultra Saturday and the last one for the year will be a 50K Trail Ultra on Nov 6. So I think this is a good year for me, race wise... Next years goal will be to get the courage to sign up and finish a big scary 100 miler.

Rain Man 10-20-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8007390)
Crossed into Illinois after four miles this afternoon.

Kentucky is a long one, isn't it? It seemed like it took me forever to get across Kentucky, though in fairness that was when I'd hurt my knee and wasn't getting many miles in for a while.

Rain Man 10-20-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 8009268)
I am terrible at doing repetitive things like logging miles, but I have run a lot since this thread started. According to my garmin connect stats I am around 1460 miles since this thread started. I have done a few miles where I forgot my forerunner or the battery died.. but that is pretty close. I have also run several trail races this year (and a road marathon) April - 100K Trail Ultra, June - 50K Trail Ultra, September 11 - Road Marathon 26.2 mi, September 23 - 50K Trail Ultra. I am doing another 50K Trail Ultra Saturday and the last one for the year will be a 50K Trail Ultra on Nov 6. So I think this is a good year for me, race wise... Next years goal will be to get the courage to sign up and finish a big scary 100 miler.

I still don't have the discipline I need to do a full marathon, much less anything longer. I want to, though, so maybe I should get more strict about my diet and stuff.

I just did my 28th 10+ mile race a couple of weekends, ago, though. I think I'm at 22 half-marathons (+/- 0.2 miles) 2 10-milers, and 4 that are 14 to 16 miles.

ziggysocki 10-20-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8009284)
I still don't have the discipline I need to do a full marathon, much less anything longer. I want to, though, so maybe I should get more strict about my diet and stuff.

I just did my 28th 10+ mile race a couple of weekends, ago, though. I think I'm at 22 half-marathons (+/- 0.2 miles) 2 10-milers, and 4 that are 14 to 16 miles.

That is a lot of half marathons! Especially at altitude such as yours. The 100k in april was extremely challenging, but I was very surprised how mentally exhausting it was. You expect to be physically wiped after 12+ hours of running, but staring at the ground, watching every footfall to avoid tripping or stumbling... deciding which hills to walk, calculating distance and pace to the next checkpoint... That was tough. I was truly exhausted after that, physically and mentally. But to know that I had just moved my body over 62 miles of wooded trails under its own power was an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Even if standing and walking was painful for 10 days afterward! :thumb:

patteeu 10-20-2011 09:53 AM

I can't decide whether I think you guys are really amazing or reeruned. All that running is quite an accomplishment.

ziggysocki 10-20-2011 09:55 AM

<-- Amazingly reeruned.

Old Dog 10-20-2011 10:43 AM

<--- Leads a really boring existence and has no better way to kill an hour a day than running and working out

ziggysocki 10-20-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8009959)
<--- Leads a really boring existence and has no better way to kill an hour a day than running and working out

There in nothing boring about stepping forward with your right foot, followed by your left foot, and then repeating anywhere from 1-10 hours...... oh, well, when you put it like that...

Rain Man 10-20-2011 10:58 AM

The more I think about it, running really is kind of a dumb hobby.

"What do you do for fun?"

"I run."

"Where?"

"Just around in circles for the most part."

Old Dog 11-28-2011 02:38 PM

Crossed the Illinois/Missouri border after 4 miles yesterday morning. That gives me 1,217 miles so far this year.

Rain Man 11-28-2011 02:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cool. Across the bridge.

I hit 2,600 miles last night. I'm just north of Rawlins, Wyoming. Pretty quiet around here.

Rain Man 12-26-2011 09:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, today marks the end of my second year of doing this. I'm currently at 2,722.3 miles, which is averaging 3.7 miles per day every day - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

At this pace I'm barely on pace to reach the coast before my three-year anniversary, so my goal for 2012 is to make the coast by December 26, 2012 or before the world is destroyed.

I'm currently slightly more than halfway across Wyoming, headed toward Yellowstone National Park and Montana.

-King- 12-26-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8238012)
Okay, today marks the end of my second year of doing this. I'm currently at 2,722.3 miles, which is averaging 3.7 miles per day every day - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

At this pace I'm barely on pace to reach the coast before my three-year anniversary, so my goal for 2012 is to make the coast by December 26, 2012 or before the world is destroyed.

I'm currently slightly more than halfway across Wyoming, headed toward Yellowstone National Park and Montana.

Is there a reason you started on the east coast?

Simply Red 12-26-2011 09:48 PM

the people wanna see the Rain Man Nike Flights!!! they've spoken!

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zv66w5.gif

Rain Man 12-26-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8238018)
Is there a reason you started on the east coast?

Yeah, the web site only gives you one route. So I really don't understand why I start in Yorktown, VA, and end in Florence, OR, but that's the deal that was on the table so I took it.

Old Dog 01-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8238012)

Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

patteeu 01-01-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8249308)
Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Rain Man 01-01-2012 02:35 PM

Congrats, old dog. You're making good time. You should do a half-marathon, too. I was rather unbelieving when I signed up for my first one, but they're fun and you get some cool t-shirts.

Rain Man 01-01-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8249736)
Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Back in 2010 I was on ferries and a cruise ship for about 17 days over the course of a month. I was doing my jog around the ship on the deck and was told to stop. They said that the corners are blind and put you at risk of colliding with someone. I think that was on the ferry, though, but I suspect the cruise ships might have the same rule.

The treadmill question is compelling. The only time I used a treadmill was on that same cruise ship since I couldn't run, and I didn't count it. But I suspect I'm in the minority on that, and most people would. My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

The treadmill question is compelling.

Old Dog 01-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8249736)

The one we will be on has a small track (10 laps = 1 mile). I absolutely count treadmill miles....I would fathom that about 1/3 to 1/2 of mine since I started are on the treadmill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8250120)
My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

As long as yuo're not cheating by hanging onto the siderails I don't think there's much of a difference.

Rain Man 02-12-2012 07:50 PM

I'm in Montana now. 2,938 miles.

Old dog, are you in Kansas now?

rageeumr 02-12-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8250120)

Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Rain Man 02-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8368482)
Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Eh, I probably just don't understand the treadmill dynamics since I almost never use them.

What proportion of your miles are bike versus run? I count walking and running miles, though I only count walking if it's specifically for exercise, defined as "a normal person would drive". For the longest time it was almost exactly 50/50 between them, but for some reason my running is now about 100 miles ahead of my walking.

Old Dog 02-13-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8368257)
Old dog, are you in Kansas now?

Nope, still in Missouri. Should hit the state line sometime next month. I did make my 100 miles in January though. 115 to be exact, though 48 miles of it was from the 1st through the 7th. I knew I wasn't gonna do much running while on the cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8368482)

I have the incline on mine set at 2.0. Maybe I'm just the odd duck, but I don't find the treadmill any easier than the road/track except for the fact that I can do something else while on it. It takes me about the same amount of time to cover my four miles (treadmill takes me about a minute longer for the four miles total, but not a big difference).

Old Dog 02-28-2012 01:20 PM

Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Rain Man 02-28-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8405247)
Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Awesome. Crossing the Mississippi was big for me, but reaching Kansas psychologically started me thinking that I was now in the west.

I hit 3,000 miles this weekend, and am now in southwest Montana. For the first time I'm starting to think seriously about finishing this thing. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'm still roughly 10 months away.

Rain Man 05-28-2012 09:56 PM

As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Old Dog 05-29-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8644362)
As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.

Rain Man 05-29-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8644593)
Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.

So is that roughly central Kansas?

Old Dog 05-29-2012 09:05 AM

Yep, roughly 150 miles to Colorado.

Rain Man 05-29-2012 09:25 AM

I think rageeumr is just about to hit the coast. For some glitchy reason I frequently get updates that he passed me even though he's ahead of me, and his last one was at 3,848 miles.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:04 PM

Flippin' site has been down for a week now.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 06:35 PM

Yeah, I'd been meaning to see if you had the problem too or if it's just me. This morning I resorted to writing my miles down by hand. It seems to go down frequently, but never for this long. I hope it comes back up soon.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:41 PM

Yeah, I have been keeping my miles on a spreadsheet as well. The first time it went down after I started I made a by month spreadsheet just in case. I have also made note of each state line.
I'm addicted to it and I blame YOU Mr Rain Man (Thank You, I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than I was when I started)

Rain Man 06-07-2012 06:44 PM

Y'know, I'm six months from finishing and I'm not sure what I'm going to do after that. I don't really want to start it again since there's only one route, and I experimented a while back to see if I could put in negative numbers and run it backwards, and it won't let me do that. I wish they had another route.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:47 PM

Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8666269)
Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Want to invest with me in building one?

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

rageeumr 06-07-2012 08:28 PM

I missed when this thread was bumped last week. I think I'm fairly close to being done, but obviously I haven't been able to enter any mileage. I have my half Ironman on Sunday, and I think the 70.3 (I guess the swim doesn't count, so 69.1) will probably put me over the top if I'm not already there.

Have you guys noticed that the site has been in various states of "downness"? Like right now I get an immediate error saying the site isn't available. Sometimes it seems to time out after a while. Earlier this week I could get onto the site, but it would time out when I tried to log in. Weird.

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:31 PM

The site is back up PBJ

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8666349)

I would probably be little to no help where CPU type stuff is concerned, but I would certainly be willing to listen to any ideas and invest time and money to do what I could.

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:38 PM

It would appear that at 1882.1 I just tripped and fell off of the road or something.

-King- 06-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8666349)

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Rain Man 06-08-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8668055)
Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Yeah, exactly. I think you could market it as a fundraising tool.

Dibs on the idea unless you want to partner on it.

Old Dog 07-11-2012 07:24 AM

Just passed the halfway point of 2031.5 miles

TimeForWasp 07-11-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8732149)

You mean you actually RAN that far?????????????????????? and are gonna run TWICE that far???????????????????????? Unbeleivable

TimeForWasp 07-11-2012 07:29 AM

Ok I read it again, but still unbelievable

rageeumr 07-11-2012 07:39 AM

I wrapped this thing up a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

Spoiler!

Old Dog 07-11-2012 08:54 AM

Congrats rageemur.

Old Dog 07-12-2012 05:08 PM

I felt kinda bad for the hitch hiker at 2038.5, but not enough to pick him up.
8 miles today. I just realized that it flips you over into the next state when you pass the last town in the state you're in. I actually have about another 14 miles I believe to the Kansas/Colorado line.

Rain Man 07-13-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 8732168)
I wrapped this thing up a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

Congrats!

You broke my heart with the spoiler, though. I was expecting some Lewis and Clark thing, or a picture of Sasquatch running down the coast or something.

Rain Man 07-13-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8732149)

Awesome. It's all downhill once you pass 50 percent. Plus, you get some nice scenery.

Rain Man 07-13-2012 06:02 PM

I'm at 3,507 miles now. I'm probably 30 or 35 miles from the Oregon border, wandering through western Idaho.

Rain Man 09-23-2012 07:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm at 3,821.2 miles as of today. I'm almost halfway across Oregon, and am within 250 miles of the finish line. I can almost smell the salty sea air.

Old Dog 09-24-2012 07:07 AM

Nice job

I'm at 2290 (972 for the year) about 202 miles from Wyoming

ziggysocki 10-05-2012 06:49 PM

I have run TONS since I last posted here. At least 6 50k races, 4-5 marathons, and lots and lots of training runs from 10-30 miles. Makes me wish I would have kept this up... Great to see how well everyone has done, congrats to all.

Old Dog 11-22-2012 10:27 AM

Crossed the border from Colorado into Wyoming this morning.

Rain Man 12-06-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9141315)
Crossed the border from Colorado into Wyoming this morning.

Awesome. What is that, around 2,800 miles or so?

I hit 4,000 miles yesterday. I've been hobbled by a foot injury, so I've been trudging for the past couple of months.

My goal was to finish within three years. I'm 58 miles from the finish line right now, and need to make it by December 26th. I think I can actually do that, but it's going to be close. My normal pace would make it easily, but I pretty much haven't been able to do any long runs recently.

Old Dog 12-07-2012 11:06 AM

The CO/WY line was at 2492.3, I'm at 2544 now. I probably won't make it in three years (would have to average 120 miles a month in 2014 to do it) but it's possible. I'm guessing that mid-February of 2015 is much more likely).
I'm going to finally attempt a half marathon this coming April though. My daughter mentioned a week or so ago that she was thinking of it and it sounds like a good idea (don't believe I just typed that).
I have NO delusions about "competing", even within my age group, but I figure if I can do it then I may be able to do a full marathon in 2015......as stupid as that may sound, it's always been a "bucket list" kind of thing. Again, not "competitively" but finishing anywhere within the alloted time would be a major win to me.

Rain Man 12-07-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9187590)
The CO/WY line was at 2492.3, I'm at 2544 now. I probably won't make it in three years (would have to average 120 miles a month in 2014 to do it) but it's possible. I'm guessing that mid-February of 2015 is much more likely).
I'm going to finally attempt a half marathon this coming April though. My daughter mentioned a week or so ago that she was thinking of it and it sounds like a good idea (don't believe I just typed that).
I have NO delusions about "competing", even within my age group, but I figure if I can do it then I may be able to do a full marathon in 2015......as stupid as that may sound, it's always been a "bucket list" kind of thing. Again, not "competitively" but finishing anywhere within the alloted time would be a major win to me.

Are you in your 40s? I'm in that 40s group, and it mostly seems to consist of really good runners who have run their whole life and are good at it, and then a few people like me who are new to the sport and aren't that athletic. My goal is usually to not be in the bottom 20 percent of my age/gender group, and sometimes I accomplish that.

So yeah, don't worry about your age group at all. I prefer to compete against the field as a whole, but mostly I just compete against my own times and try to get better.

Old Dog 12-07-2012 01:16 PM

Yep....40s
And competing against anyone won't be a part of my thoughts. As weak as it may seem, If I can complete it, I'll consider it a success. I enjoy running (again, don't believe I just typed that) but I don't fancy myself a runner.
Hell, before I started this, I literally couldn't go more than a couple of miles at a sub 10 pace. I may still be looking at a time north 2 hours for 13 miles (have never timed more than six), but as sad as it would be to any real runner if I can do it under 2 1/2 hours, I honestly think I'll be OK with it.

Rain Man 12-07-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9187896)
Yep....40s
And competing against anyone won't be a part of my thoughts. As weak as it may seem, If I can complete it, I'll consider it a success. I enjoy running (again, don't believe I just typed that) but I don't fancy myself a runner.
Hell, before I started this, I literally couldn't go more than a couple of miles at a sub 10 pace. I may still be looking at a time north 2 hours for 13 miles (have never timed more than six), but as sad as it would be to any real runner if I can do it under 2 1/2 hours, I honestly think I'll be OK with it.

I've only broken two hours once in roughly 30 flat halves (not counting my mountain races), and I think two hours is pretty good. I've been as high as the top 26 percent of runners with a time around two hours.

I hurt my foot a couple of months ago and have barely run at all while healing up, so I'm out of shape and overweight. I try to run one half-marathon every month, so after considerable musing I signed up for one in December just to keep the streak going. It's not going to be pretty.

Rain Man 12-23-2012 01:22 AM

Annnnnnd.....done.

Two years, 11 months, and 27 days - 1,092 days covering 4,070.3 miles, and as of today I have finished my virtual run across the United States. Some stats:

Average Daily Distance: 3.72 miles per day.
Average Weekly Distance: 26.1 miles per week (Equivalent distance of 155 marathons - one per week)

Most Miles in One Month: 175.6 in January 2010 (5.66 miles per day)
Fewest Miles in One Month: 51.1 in July 2010 (1.66 miles per day - minor knee injury and big vacation)

Most Miles in One Week: 51.4 in July 2011 (7.34 miles per day - three-day weekend over July 4th)
Fewest Miles in One Week: 0.0 in July 2010 (knee injury and I was on a boat all week). This is the only week of the run in which I logged zero miles.

Miles By Month:

January – 464.4 (I guess cold weather is my forte.)
February – 316.9
March – 378.0
April – 357.0
May – 332.2
June – 297.5
July – 316.2
August – 292.8
September – 344.7
October – 288.4
November – 312.2
December – 370.0

Total: 2,115.6 miles running, 1,954.7 miles of exercise walking (mostly to work and back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKmzmeU5-0

Old Dog 12-23-2012 10:02 AM

Congrats

Old Dog 03-05-2013 12:45 PM

Hit Montana this morning. 1148 miles to go.
Revised goal to try and make it by Christmas. (Will need to average just over 117 miles per month to make it by then.....barring injury I should be able to)

EagleRob 03-06-2013 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 103861

Old Dog 03-06-2013 08:14 AM

LOL

Rausch 03-06-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9233703)
Annnnnnd.....done.

Two years, 11 months, and 27 days - 1,092 days covering 4,070.3 miles, and as of today I have finished my virtual run across the United States. Some stats:

Average Daily Distance: 3.72 miles per day.
Average Weekly Distance: 26.1 miles per week (Equivalent distance of 155 marathons - one per week)

Most Miles in One Month: 175.6 in January 2010 (5.66 miles per day)
Fewest Miles in One Month: 51.1 in July 2010 (1.66 miles per day - minor knee injury and big vacation)

Most Miles in One Week: 51.4 in July 2011 (7.34 miles per day - three-day weekend over July 4th)
Fewest Miles in One Week: 0.0 in July 2010 (knee injury and I was on a boat all week). This is the only week of the run in which I logged zero miles.

Miles By Month:

January – 464.4 (I guess cold weather is my forte.)
February – 316.9
March – 378.0
April – 357.0
May – 332.2
June – 297.5
July – 316.2
August – 292.8
September – 344.7
October – 288.4
November – 312.2
December – 370.0

Total: 2,115.6 miles running, 1,954.7 miles of exercise walking (mostly to work and back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKmzmeU5-0

You have a very active mind.

I think the most impressive statistic not mentioned here is how many ideas or inspirations you may have experienced due to slowing down the pace of your life by just a few minutes a day...

Old Dog 06-06-2013 09:42 AM

Crossed the Montana border into Idaho this morning. Currently at 3,290 and have 773 miles to go. Should finish by Christmas and make it in just under three years.

Rain Man 06-06-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9732825)
Crossed the Montana border into Idaho this morning. Currently at 3,290 and have 773 miles to go. Should finish by Christmas and make it in just under three years.

Nice work. It's kind of all downhill from here.

I remember Montana taking a lot longer than I expected. It was just a corner of the state, but that state has really big corners.

Rain Man 06-06-2013 10:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, I started a new run. I found another running web site that I could twist around to map a long route, and you can pick the route. So I started in Van Buren, Maine, and my goal is to visit every state. Along the way, I have to go by the state capitol building and also visit at least one famous state place.

I'm almost through Maine now, having stopped at Acadia National Park, passed by the capitol building in Augusta, and passed through Kennebunkport.

And before you say that Maine is a small state ... holy cow. It takes forever to get across that state. It's diamond shaped so it's long from north to south, and you have to do a curve around the coast to stay on roads. I've gone 477 miles so far on the map below and I'm still not out of Maine. It's a longer distance north to south than are Colorado and Missouri.

Old Dog 06-06-2013 10:41 AM

Would you be inclined to share the site?

Old Dog 06-06-2013 10:43 AM

Gonna be a hell of a trip to hit Hawaii and Alaska

Rain Man 06-06-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9732951)
Would you be inclined to share the site?

Oh. I forgot that part.

It's http://gmap-pedometer.com/. It's not designed for a long-distance run, but if you do a run and save it as a route, and then edit it the next day and add your next run to it, you can make it work pretty well. It's a bummer that they don't do the street view so you can see where you're at, but you can make the map.

And yeah, I haven't quite figured out how to handle Alaska and Hawaii yet.