ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Best Friggin Apple EVER.. the Ambrosia (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279010)

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-27-2013 12:35 PM

Best Friggin Apple EVER.. the Ambrosia

WOW, you gotta try one if you haven't. It's perfect in every way. Like eating Candy. (Real Candy, not a hooker). I guess it evolved from several other varieties by mistake and perfection was found. I could have one for every meal , every day. My wife picked some up at Walmart by chance. And now I look for them every time but haven't seen them lately. Go try one and get back to me with your thoughts. Really ! You'll thank me as well as be eating something healthy for once. I googled and found a little info:

The Ambrosia apple is a home-grown original – not only is the variety a favourite among consumers, Ambrosias actually originated in British Columbia. In the early 1990s, the Mennell family in BC’s Similkameen Valley discovered a tree in Sally Mennell’s orchard which bore unusual apples.

Their orchard had previously been planted with Red Delicious and Golden Delicious, but they had replanted the area with Jonagold trees. A chance seedling grew up in one of the rows and the Mennells noticed that the fruit pickers that season seemed to really favour the apples on this unique tree. In fact, its fruit was stripped clean! The Mennells tried and loved the apples as well, and decided to try to produce more.

Once the existing tree had matured, they cut and grafted a few branches onto other trees to see if they would still grow the same apples. The procedure was a success, and Ambrosia was born. The Ambrosia apples have the general conical shape of their parents, Reds and Goldens, but their color, texture and taste are distinctly superior and unique.

Fruit of the Gods

Ambrosia apples have a distinct honeyed and slightly perfumed flavour. Aptly named Ambrosia, food of the Gods, they are a delight to look at, touch, bite into and savour. The skin is smooth, with a bright, almost iridescent pink blush over a creamy background. The flesh is tender and juicy, with a very fine, crisp texture. It is a sweet, low-acid apple with a pleasing aroma. When they’re sliced, they do not turn brown as quickly as other varieties, making them ideal for salads, fruit plates, and eating on their own. Because of its natural sweetness, this apple requires less sugar in baking than most other varieties used for cooking.

BigMeatballDave 11-27-2013 12:39 PM

Honey crisp is probably better.

Tombstone RJ 11-27-2013 12:41 PM

back in the day, there used to be like hundreds of varieties of apples in the USA alone, apple trees were everywhere (thank you Johnny Appleseed) and they cross pollinated (spelling?). Over the years the mass production of apples has culled the varity down by like, hundreds of flavors.

Yes, I am ripe with trivial knowledge, you're welcome.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-27-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10229022)
Honey crisp is probably better.

I don't see any way that would be possible.

BigMeatballDave 11-27-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10229038)
I don't see any way that would be possible.

Eat one, and you'll agree.

ptlyon 11-27-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 10229030)
Yes, I am ripe with trivial knowledge, you're welcome.

Like an Ambrosia? Stay away from Hog Farmer.

Tombstone RJ 11-27-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 10229046)
Like an Ambrosia? Stay away from Hog Farmer.

I'm not sure if I've had an Ambrosia or not... but I gotta say I do love trying out different varieties.

Fish 11-27-2013 12:49 PM

Honeycrisp. It's the tastiest genetic hybrid I've ever devoured. I like them better than Ambrosia. But they're both awesome.

Pablo 11-27-2013 12:50 PM

RED DELICIOUS 4 LIFE.

Pitt Gorilla 11-27-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10229061)
Honeycrisp. It's the tastiest genetic hybrid I've ever devoured. I like them better than Ambrosia. But they're both awesome.

this. Honey crisp and ambrosia are both excellent.

BigMeatballDave 11-27-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10229068)
RED DELICIOUS 4 LIFE.

yawn

Fish 11-27-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

RED DELICIOUS 4 LIFE.

I'll cut you, fool.

scho63 11-27-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

RED DELICIOUS 4 LIFE.

:clap:

A cold crisp Red Delicious is my favorite by far......

KCUnited 11-27-2013 01:13 PM

Pink Lady fan, y'all.

Pablo 11-27-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10229085)
yawn

I know. I consider the apple eating portion of my life to be one of the most important. I'm trying to spice it up a little bit.

GRANNY SMITH 4 RIGHT NOW.