ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books New Harry Potter series on HBO Max (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348341)

Sassy Squatch 04-13-2023 03:16 PM

New Harry Potter series on HBO Max

Still in the early stages it seems but currently it's pencilled in to be a DECADE long project with 10+ seasons.

The Franchise 04-13-2023 03:23 PM

Getting in on the ground floor.

This is going to suck.

DJ's left nut 04-13-2023 03:33 PM

Wait - it's just a reboot? That's odd; if Rowling is involved, there's a TON of universe they could mine still.

That said, the movies kinda sucked. They were just weird and often unnecessarily so. And I will continue to insist that the actors were largely shite, especially Daniel Radcliffe.

HBO could actually do this pretty well, though I'm still a little puzzled as to why they're re-booting a property that's only like 15 years old instead of going with a sequel or spinoff. Hell, even prequels could be interesting given the amount of time that takes place between the Fantastic Beasts series and the energy they put into describing the previous rise/fall of Voldemort in the books.

Just a strange decision; seems entirely risk averse.

Sassy Squatch 04-13-2023 03:39 PM

Think Fantastic Beasts flopping as spectacularly as it has is why they're just going for the reboot. I'll gladly take a reboot provided they actually stay faithful to the original books, even if they do have to include all the silly retcons Rowling insists on since her stories were written when no one gave a shot.about inclusivity.

Sassy Squatch 04-13-2023 03:42 PM

Might be nice to see a Ron that hasn't had all of his positive personality traits stripped and given to Hermione.

tredadda 04-13-2023 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16901115)
Wait - it's just a reboot? That's odd; if Rowling is involved, there's a TON of universe they could mine still.

That said, the movies kinda sucked. They were just weird and often unnecessarily so. And I will continue to insist that the actors were largely shite, especially Daniel Radcliffe.

HBO could actually do this pretty well, though I'm still a little puzzled as to why they're re-booting a property that's only like 15 years old instead of going with a sequel or spinoff. Hell, even prequels could be interesting given the amount of time that takes place between the Fantastic Beasts series and the energy they put into describing the previous rise/fall of Voldemort in the books.

Just a strange decision; seems entirely risk averse.

While she should beyond a shadow of a doubt, zero chance they take her input. She upset the mob by having "controversial" viewpoints as it was not in line with the hive mob. Doubt Warner Brothers will want to deal with that.

I am curious though, do they have to get the blessing of J.K. to make it as it is her IP or has that passed? If it still is hers then I can see them just going reboot as that stuff is already out. If she doesn't then the sky is the limit, sorta how Star Wars has it's own canon and material well beyond what Lucas ever dreamed of.

Sassy Squatch 04-13-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16901264)
While she should beyond a shadow of a doubt, zero chance they take her input. She upset the mob by having "controversial" viewpoints as it was not in line with the hive mob. Doubt Warner Brothers will want to deal with that.

I am curious though, do they have to get the blessing of J.K. to make it as it is her IP or has that passed? If it still is hers then I can see them just going reboot as that stuff is already out. If she doesn't then the sky is the limit, sorta how Star Wars has it's own canon and material well beyond what Lucas ever dreamed of.

No, she's still heavily involved in this. They tried to buy her out but her demands were so unrealistic they basically equated to she's not interested in giving up control. And her involvement is pretty overblown as far as it being negative. The game that recently released did huge numbers and those two Fantastic Beasts movies that flopped did so because they were absolutely trash.

Sassy Squatch 04-13-2023 05:30 PM

It really is ****ing bizarre just how much time she has spent retconning the story to have more representation yet she has no problem broadcasting how much of a transphobe she is on the reg.

staylor26 04-13-2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16901298)
It really is ****ing bizarre just how much time she has spent retconning the story to have more representation yet she has no problem broadcasting how much of a transphobe she is on the reg.

:rolleyes:

staylor26 04-13-2023 10:03 PM

Quote:

Hogwarts Legacy proved that when you make a great product and ignore the nut jobs on Twitter (and other social media platforms), they have no impact.

KC_Connection 04-13-2023 10:03 PM

If they did this well, there's really no reason why this couldn't be better than most of those movies. I'd tune in.

Sassy Squatch 04-14-2023 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16901512)
:rolleyes:

LMAO Come on, bro. I know she's more of an extreme feminist than an actual transphobe, but regardless it's just strange in a business sense to continue to be so public about that with all the backlash.

BigBeauford 04-14-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16901610)
LMAO Come on, bro. I know she's more of an extreme feminist than an actual transphobe, but regardless it's just strange in a business sense to continue to be so public about that with all the backlash.

As someone who has an athletically inclined daughter, JK, pop off sis.

tredadda 04-14-2023 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 16901291)
No, she's still heavily involved in this. They tried to buy her out but her demands were so unrealistic they basically equated to she's not interested in giving up control. And her involvement is pretty overblown as far as it being negative. The game that recently released did huge numbers and those two Fantastic Beasts movies that flopped did so because they were absolutely trash.

That is good to know and I can't say that I blame her for not wanting to give up control. This means any new material that comes out is from her and not fan fiction.

DJ's left nut 04-14-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

She has final editorial approval of all 'world of wizarding' projects, IMO.