ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Report: ‘At Least Seven’ NFL Players Turn In Guns In Wake Of Belcher Tragedy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267529)

journeyscarab 12-10-2012 12:37 PM

Report: ‘At Least Seven’ NFL Players Turn In Guns In Wake Of Belcher Tragedy

Must of been the Costas moment of reason last week....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...lcher-tragedy/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - The tragic story of former Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher seems to be having a profound effect on some players around the league.

Belcher, the Long Island native who fatally shot his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself on December 1, shook the football world upside down when he committed murder-suicide.

And now, players are taking action to prevent further unthinkable incidents from occurring.

During Week 14′s coverage of Football Night in America, Peter King reported that multiple NFL players have turned in their firearms as a result of the Belcher tragedy.

“I’ve been told that in the last seven days, at least seven players around the league have gone to their team’s security officers to turn in the firearms that they possess from their homes,” King said during the broadcast. “I’m also told that one of these players had multiple firearms, as Jovan Belcher did — he had eight … He told his security officer, ‘I don’t trust myself with these guns in the house. Please take them away.’”

A recent USA Today poll revealed that three out of four NFL players own guns, whereas 40 to 45 percent of the general population owns firearms.

Belcher killed Kasandra Perkins at the couple’s home and then committed suicide in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium, police said. General manager Scott Pioli and head coach Romeo Crennel attempted to stop Belcher from killing himself, but he proceeded to do so in front of them.

Belcher left behind a three-month-old daughter.

According to Police Sgt. Richard Sharp, Belcher and Perkins had been arguing about relationship and financial issues for months, and the team provided counseling for the two so they could work out their issues.

Hammock Parties 12-10-2012 12:39 PM

Cassel went to turn in his air rifle and they were like "That's OK, you can keep that."

mdchiefsfan 12-10-2012 12:41 PM

"I don't trust myself with these guns, please take them away."

Who says that?

Frazod 12-10-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9196634)

Who says that?

If you seriously feel that way, perhaps it's for the best. Owning guns ain't for everybody.

bevischief 12-10-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9196626)
Cassel went to turn in his air rifle and they were like "That's OK, you can keep that."

Don't you mean Super soaker?

rockymtnchief 12-10-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Who says that?

I have a friend that did.

He was taking Chantix to quit smoking. He told me he was having suicidal dreams and even woke up wanting to grab his pistol and finish the job. So I held onto his 6 handguns for about 3 months.

Bewbies 12-10-2012 12:50 PM

No word on how many players turned their cars in after seeing what happened in Dallas.

CoMoChief 12-10-2012 12:55 PM

Why? Are they afraid that they too may snap and pull a Chris Beniot, after a night of drinking and trying to get ass from a gf on the side?

Fat Elvis 12-10-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Who says that?

More people should say that.

And I'm not part of the anti-gun crowd.

Frazod 12-10-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9196656)
I have a friend that did.

He was taking Chantix to quit smoking. He told me he was having suicidal dreams and even woke up wanting to grab his pistol and finish the job. So I held onto his 6 handguns for about 3 months.

As Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I was in a pretty bad place in my life many years ago and did the same thing.

journeyscarab 12-10-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9196659)
No word on how many players turned their cars in after seeing what happened in Dallas.

ROFL

KCUnited 12-10-2012 12:58 PM

Stanzi brought in his right arm and some still photos of his release from camp.

rockymtnchief 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9196671)
As Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I was in a pretty bad place in my life many years ago and did the same thing.

:thumb:

I have zero problem with people volunteering to give up their firearm. I won't stop them.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2012 01:03 PM

Any players gonna turn in their Bentleys?

FlaChief58 12-10-2012 01:04 PM

Thank God! Those seven guns will never plot to kill anyone

BlackHelicopters 12-10-2012 01:31 PM

The "automobile culture" is ruining 'Merica.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2012 01:34 PM

Will any players turn in their baby mommas and girlfriends?

BigMeatballDave 12-10-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Dave Mustaine said it, too.

:)

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-10-2012 01:39 PM

They'd be better off to turn in their girlfriends and keep their guns. Idiots!

InChiefsHeaven 12-10-2012 01:40 PM

Good for them I guess. If you can't handle the in-animate object, it's best to be rid of it.

Phobia 12-10-2012 01:44 PM

Roid rage. First.

kcfanXIII 12-10-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Who says that?

i would say a responsible firearms owner that had reason to fear they would use it in a fit of rage against somebody else, or turn it on themselves.

Radar Chief 12-10-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Gearhead Wrenching buddy’s little brother is a 2 tour Iraq vet and when he was having troubles with the ex he took all his guns to his father’s place for storage. He said his head was just in a black place and he didn’t need them around until he sorted some things out.
He’s with a good woman now, got his head straight and is in possession of his guns again.

The_Doctor10 12-10-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9196693)
Any players gonna turn in their Bentleys?

How many people own Bentleys for 'protection'?

KurtCobain 12-10-2012 02:23 PM

They make Bentley condoms now?

Nirvana58 12-10-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9196844)
Gearhead Wrenching buddy’s little brother is a 2 tour Iraq vet and when he was having troubles with the ex he took all his guns to his father’s place for storage. He said his head was just in a black place and he didn’t need them around until he sorted some things out.
He’s with a good woman now, got his head straight and is in possession of his guns again.

:hmmm: i see what you did there

Titty Meat 12-10-2012 02:57 PM

Now who the **** wanna play with guns
A lot of holes, a lot of blood dog
That shit ain't fun

Bump 12-10-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Who says that?

well if you do have even a slight doubt that you shouldn't own a gun, you probably shouldn't own them.

They aren't for everybody, not everyone is stable or responsible enough to own one.

vailpass 12-10-2012 03:02 PM

Is there a list somewhere of these wealthy people who have surrendered their firearms?/burglars

Dayze 12-10-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9196787)
Dave Mustaine said it, too.

:)

it's a war inside my head.

Marcellus 12-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9196844)

I made a comment in the Belcher thread that had I had a gun handy a few times when me and my ex wife were going through our divorce I may have killed the bitch. That was 10 years ago.

Imon Yourside 12-10-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Who says that?

Shaun Smith tweeted the answer earlier.

BIG_DADDY 12-10-2012 04:50 PM

Lame.

Iowanian 12-10-2012 04:55 PM

I'd be happy to buy them all at a discount rate if it makes those players feel safe.

jrowe 12-10-2012 06:45 PM

It's not a gun problem. It's a gangsta culture problem.

CrazyPhuD 12-10-2012 08:02 PM

How many of them were outfitted with these sights when turned in?

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...un_sight-1.jpg

Frazod 12-10-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9198067)
How many of them were outfitted with these sights when turned in?

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...un_sight-1.jpg

LMAO Is that real?

CrazyPhuD 12-10-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9198086)
LMAO Is that real?

Nah...but probably only because 'real gangstas' wouldn't use the sights even if they were there.

Frazod 12-10-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9198093)
Nah...but probably only because 'real gangstas' wouldn't use the sights even if they were there.

That's too bad - if we could get them to shoot accurately, they'd kill each other instead of the unfortunate honor student sleeping in her room across the street.

Spott 12-10-2012 08:10 PM

I wonder how many have given up drinking all hours of the night, picking up women and having multiple children out of wedlock.

Deberg_1990 12-10-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 9198119)
I wonder how many have given up drinking all hours of the night, picking up women and having multiple children out of wedlock.

Because only NFL players exhibit that behavior....

ThaVirus 12-10-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrowe (Post 9197779)
It's not a gun problem. It's a gangsta culture problem.

I'm not seeing where that fits in here..

Garcia Bronco 12-10-2012 09:02 PM

Turned in to who? The NFL? The team? I hope not.

Psyko Tek 12-10-2012 10:20 PM

so the but the guns and cars to be the cool kids?
if you are in the NFL you are the cool kid
quit this gotta fit in shit, you should be setting the trends

weak minded morans

InChiefsHeaven 12-11-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9198339)
Turned in to who? The NFL? The team? I hope not.

Looks like the team:

Quote:

“I’ve been told that in the last seven days, at least seven players around the league have gone to their team’s security officers to turn in the firearms that they possess from their homes,” King said during the broadcast.

WhiteWhale 12-11-2012 07:16 AM

Okay, I'm a big second amendment guy, but the dumbest argument ever used in favor of guns keeps being used here.

I'll say this once.

Automobiles were invented for the purpose of transporting people from one place to another.

Guns were invented for the explicit purpose of killing human beings. They weren't invented to hunt animals. They weren't invented for shooting pop cans and targets. They were invented for a very specific purpose... killing people in war.

While I support the 2nd amendment, I don't support stupidity like comparing Cars and guns. One is not like the other.

notorious 12-11-2012 07:23 AM

Good for them, but if I am the GM or owner I would keep a close eye on those guys. They must have had a close call to scare them that much.

Garcia Bronco 12-11-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9199113)
Looks like the team:

I mean at least sell it. Its their property, but it seems strange.

Bwana 12-11-2012 07:38 AM

Well now, if any more of these guys, or anyone else feels like giving away guns, you drop your pal Bwana a PM and you can send them on up here. I'll take good care of them.

InChiefsHeaven 12-11-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9199144)
Okay, I'm a big second amendment guy, but the dumbest argument ever used in favor of guns keeps being used here.

I'll say this once.

Automobiles were invented for the purpose of transporting people from one place to another.

Guns were invented for the explicit purpose of killing human beings. They weren't invented to hunt animals. They weren't invented for shooting pop cans and targets. They were invented for a very specific purpose... killing people in war.

While I support the 2nd amendment, I don't support stupidity like comparing Cars and guns. One is not like the other.

I agree. I think the commonality is when those items are abused. It is impossible for a gun to kill by itself. It's impossible for a car to have an accident by itself. The argument is not so much comparing guns to cars as it is an illustration of lack of personal responsibility. Blame the gun not the person animating it is as stupid as blaming the car not the driver. See what I mean?

BoneKrusher 12-11-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9196626)

i thought Cassel owned a slingshot? :D

memyselfI 12-11-2012 08:03 AM

It's Peter King so I'll proceed with that in mind but kudos to them for making a decision that is bigger than turning in a gun. It is the decision to acknowledge they have some serious issues and that having a gun around them is not a responsible choice at this time. Maybe these guys are going to leave it at just turning in the gun and feeling better. Hopefully that will only be a first step in getting the help they need for whatever issues they are facing.

Bwana 12-11-2012 02:00 PM

On a side note, this warms my heart.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...b4e_story.html

Congrats Tim

Frazod 12-11-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9199990)
On a side note, this warms my heart.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...b4e_story.html

Congrats Tim

WOO HOO

http://www.townvibe.com/Blogs/Bedfor.../fireworks.jpg

CrazyPhuD 12-11-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9199144)

I'll say this once.

So here's one flaw with your argument, jet aircraft were invented by the Germans in WWII for the explicit purpose of establishing air superiority and taking out as many US bombers as possible. Almost all modern rocketry in the western world can trace it's origin directly to the V-2 rocket program established by Germany in WWII.

Should both jet aircraft and all modern space/satellite programs be 'tainted' as bad because their origins were as weapons of war? Why something was created should be irrelevant, how it is used should be how we judge it.

The problem is you missed the point of the original argument. The argument wasn't about cars or guns. It was about being unbiased and about uniform standards. We like to be discriminatory, it's a survival instinct and it's in the DNA of all life. What we have to actively work at doing is trying to be as unbaised as we can. Treating firearms more harshly than other objects that also have the potential to cause harm is discriminatory. If you want to restrict something fine, set a uniform unbiased standard to measure harm and then restrict EVERYTHING that meets that standard.

The reality is the vast majority of all firearms are used perfectly legally and without harm to their fellow human beings and yet many people want to prohibit them for everyone based upon the bad actions of a minority just because they personally do not like them.

CrazyPhuD 12-11-2012 03:00 PM

Then there is the proverbial lunacy that is the push for an 'assault' weapon ban. Under 3% of all murders are caused by rifles of all types(included those that would not be classified as 'assault' weapons). By prohibiting ALL rifles the absolute most impact you can have is a 3% reduction in the murder rate.....

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...-data-table-11

I am assuming that people aren't suggesting that 'assault' weapons are chosen for suicides because they believe them more effective killing machines.

Hell the rate of people killed by hands, fists, etc is 2X those killed with rifles. If we are using the standard of banning things that are perceived to make killing more effective, why do we not then ban all forms of martial arts, wrestling and boxing. Since they clearly make someone a better hand to hand combatant and the problem is 2X as severe as all rifle murders.

CoMoChief 12-11-2012 03:18 PM

Guns have NEVER killed people on their own.

They can not pull their own trigger.

CrazyPhuD 12-11-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9200155)
Guns have NEVER killed people on their own.

They can not pull their own trigger.

Well that's not strictly true.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A9l9wxGFl4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 12-11-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9197035)
well if you do have even a slight doubt that you shouldn't own a gun, you probably shouldn't own them.

They aren't for everybody, not everyone is stable or responsible enough to own one.

I completely agree.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 12-11-2012 11:28 PM

Was Rolondo McClain one of the players that relinquished his gun? He sucks on the field, but he's probably leading the NFL in most trunks popped/fools put on notice.

listopencil 12-11-2012 11:55 PM

Well, each team has 53 players on the roster. Plus they get a five man Practice Squad. I think they still get six if one is a QB, but I'll use five. So...58 x 32 = 1856. And 7 / 1856 = .0037 (approximately). Peter King says "at least seven" so we could round that up to .004 perhaps.

WhiteWhale 12-12-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9200084)
So here's one flaw with your argument, jet aircraft were invented by the Germans in WWII for the explicit purpose of establishing air superiority and taking out as many US bombers as possible. Almost all modern rocketry in the western world can trace it's origin directly to the V-2 rocket program established by Germany in WWII.

That's valid. It's a more reasonable comparison than an automobile, which was designed for transportation.

Quote:

Should both jet aircraft and all modern space/satellite programs be 'tainted' as bad because their origins were as weapons of war? Why something was created should be irrelevant, how it is used should be how we judge it.

Indeed, but can you tell me what use guns serve outside of either killing something or using it to intimidate with the threat of killing? I'm not saying it's tainted. I'm saying people seem to be intellectually dishonest about what they're for. Guns are not a tool like a shovel. They do not have the potential to cause harm... that's pretty much the only thing they can do. It's the sole purpose of their design. You can dig with a shovel. You can drive a car. You can only shoot a gun at things.

Quote:

The problem is you missed the point of the original argument. The argument wasn't about cars or guns. It was about being unbiased and about uniform standards. We like to be discriminatory, it's a survival instinct and it's in the DNA of all life. What we have to actively work at doing is trying to be as unbaised as we can. Treating firearms more harshly than other objects that also have the potential to cause harm is discriminatory. If you want to restrict something fine, set a uniform unbiased standard to measure harm and then restrict EVERYTHING that meets that standard.

That's valid. I agree with the core argument, but the analogy is weak sauce. I liked the space program comparison much better. War is the mother of invention and most of the things we enjoy today were in fact created, at least in part, to kill people. Even this thing I'm typing on right now owes it's roots to violent warfare.

I can't log onto the internet with a gun. It's only use is violence or the deterrence of violence with the threat of violence. That is the difference between guns and basically everything else. It's important and should be acknowledged by gun owners. The point I'm trying to make is that guns haven't really expanded in their use. They're used to kill people/animals or threaten to kill people with.. and for most people that's simply a means to protect yourself and your property from any number of potential threats.

They have no other use. It's an important use who's viability has expanded beyond the battlefield, but it's still not a car.

Quote:

The reality is the vast majority of all firearms are used perfectly legally and without harm to their fellow human beings and yet many people want to prohibit them for everyone based upon the bad actions of a minority just because they personally do not like them.

Again, I agree entirely with this. I support the 2nd amendment myself and I am a gun owner. I have never used my gun to kill anything, but one day I may have to in order to survive. That's the only reason I own it and have trained to use it, all while I pray I never have to use it on a living thing. I'm also thinking of getting a conceal and carry permit after this drunk weirdo freaked out on me at Quiktrip.

Now I know they can be used for Hunting, and I don't condemn that either. It is a violence and killing though. People use guns for it because guns are really awesome at killing things. I wish there were no guns in the world, but if the bad guys have guns so will I.

King_Chief_Fan 12-12-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9199182)
i thought Cassel owned a slingshot? :D

we know it isn't a cannon