ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Getting a passport (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261460)

luv 07-16-2012 11:27 AM

Getting a passport

I'm getting a passport. Do I need the card and the book? Is the book just for stamping? Would the card be enough for me to travel with?

Yes, I'm researching it. I just know there are several people here who travel abroad, so I thought I'd pick your brains, too.

Bugeater 07-16-2012 11:30 AM

Where are you going?

Rasputin 07-16-2012 11:30 AM

You need the book so they can stamp in it.

luv 07-16-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8744425)
Where are you going?

Cruise. I don't have to have one, but I'd like to have one (just in case). I've procrastinated too long. Hope I have enough time to get it by mid September.

Davechief 07-16-2012 11:34 AM

I had to obtain a passport for the 1st time about 3 months ago. I ended up getting the book which is stamped each time you enter a new country. I bought the book because that was suggested at the time of purchase. Took about 3 weeks to get, although you can obtain one faster for an additional fee. Hope this helps.

LVNHACK 07-16-2012 11:34 AM

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html

Get the passport, you'll be glad you did.

Bugeater 07-16-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8744431)
Cruise. I don't have to have one, but I'd like to have one (just in case). I've procrastinated too long. Hope I have enough time to get it by mid September.

You can try to chase down the Mrs on facebook this evening, she just went through all of this last January.

Saulbadguy 07-16-2012 11:36 AM

AFLT

Dayze 07-16-2012 11:37 AM

Just get a tatoo of your name.

DaFace 07-16-2012 11:37 AM

The card is really more for people who live in a border area and are frequently crossing back and forth. 99% of people just need the book.

Saulbadguy 07-16-2012 11:38 AM

To answer your question (THE FIRST HIT IN GOOGLE WHEN YOU TYPE IN PASSPORT CARD VS PASSPORT BOOK):

You only really need a card.

On a cruise you are advised to put your passports in your safe. They sell novelty stamps in the port but you don't want to risk losing it. Supposedly you can take the book to guest services and they will stamp it for you at each port.

LVNHACK 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8744431)

You've got time, you can always use a service...I got my 1st one in 7/10 days. When I come back to the US this time I need to have pages added. I'll either drive into a passport office and have it done or use a service.

Saulbadguy 07-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8744447)
The card is really more for people who live in a border area and are frequently crossing back and forth. 99% of people just need the book.

Card is valid for land and sea entry within Mexico, Caribbean, Canada, Bermuda.

Passport is valid for anywhere, air land and sea.

DaFace 07-16-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8744450)
To answer your question (THE FIRST HIT IN GOOGLE WHEN YOU TYPE IN PASSPORT CARD VS PASSPORT BOOK):

You only really need a card.

On a cruise you are advised to put your passports in your safe. They sell novelty stamps in the port but you don't want to risk losing it. Supposedly you can take the book to guest services and they will stamp it for you at each port.

Did you mean to say you need the book? I don't see any reason to get a card for a cruise - especially since she wouldn't be able to use it for any other travel in the future.

Saulbadguy 07-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8744456)
Did you mean to say you need the book? I don't see any reason to get a card for a cruise - especially since she wouldn't be able to use it for any other travel in the future.

The card is less expensive.

I agree it's better to just get the book but you only really "need" the card for the type of travel she will be doing. Even then she doesn't even need one, just bring a birth certificate + photo ID.