ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Relocation to Omaha (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=171899)

Bearcat 10-09-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Cool. I guess. Truthfully, I don't really know anything about this stuff.

But...workaholic? We have room in my company for workaholics.

You would appreciate my apartment research. The easiest way to narrow down the choices was to list them all in a spreadsheet, with prices, sq feet, and amenities. Since I don't know the area, I needed to factor in location, too, so I mapped the corresponding rows in Excel on a Google map... so I could group them by area, and compare between and within different locations. Is 'workaholic nerd' redundant?

And no, even though I'd like to live in Denver, I'm not applying for a job ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzzLovr
Bob Dole isn't really homeless, he just looks that way. ;)

Congrats on the new job! I hope you enjoy it!

I thought that lawn rant he gave me sounded familiar :hmmm:

Thanks :) It's only 2.5 hours though, so don't skip over me the next time you're looking to sell a ticket :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
Congrats Bearcat!

journeyscarab 10-09-2007 06:44 PM

Stop by the "Green Onion" bar. Two drinks for the price of one. Its a hole in the wall but they make strong drinks.

After living in Wichita ...Omaha was a step down.

piazzafan08 10-09-2007 10:45 PM

i live about 20 minutes from dowtown omaha in a small town in iowa and i would say that u should live in iowa. Council Bluffs is growing and everything is cheaper in council bluffs, housing, gas, taxes everything. and if u live close enough to nebraska it would only be around a 5 to 10 min drive to downtown and u arnt to far away from night life. There are a few clubs in omaha plenty of bars and a couple of strip joints. THE best one is in CB called the PLAYHOUSE not like most strip joints it is right off the interstate. IOWA is the way to go it isnt too far from omaha but far enough away

Bearcat 10-13-2007 12:02 PM

Looking for cable & broadband.... Qwest, Cox, Time Warner, or other?

I currently have Time Warner, so it would be easy to transfer. Their customer service is absolutely useless, but I'm not very high maintenance. Cox doesn't have prices on their website, which takes away from the whole "moving my life without actually having to talk to anyone" thing I have going on. Qwest looks like their cable/internet is about $10 less expensive than Time Warner.

Recommendations?

Bugeater 10-13-2007 12:07 PM

I use Qwest for cable because it's cheaper and I don't watch a lot of TV. They don't add channels too often though, so you get what you pay for. They don't have a digital package either. Cox has the fastest internet in the city and offer a lot more cable choices if you're willing to spend the money.

Bugeater 10-13-2007 12:09 PM

Oh, and Qwest cable is only available west of I-680. Time Warner doesn't do business anywhere in Omaha that I'm aware of.

Bearcat 10-13-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater
Oh, and Qwest cable is only available west of I-680. Time Warner doesn't do business anywhere in Omaha that I'm aware of.

That sucks, because I was leaning towards Qwest... I don't watch much TV, so their $34/month cable plan looked good. It even has ESPN Classic, which was dropped by Time Warner. But, I'm not planning on living that far west and don't have a need for their DirecTV service. I just did the check availability thing for local tv and it came back with "You can get broadband!", so I guess that's a no. :banghead:

I'm going to have to call Time Warner to be sure I can transfer cable and broadband.... I didn't think they were in Omaha because the options in all the relocation stuff shows Qwest or Cox. I filled out a transfer form on TWC's site, and it said they have service there :shrug:

I have TMobile.... I've heard mixed comments about every provider, and I know TMobile doesn't provide 402 numbers. I love my phone though, so I'm going to have to ask them about roaming issues with my current number.

InChiefsHeaven 10-13-2007 02:49 PM

Come see my band Headstrong play on November 2nd at The Rox on 108th and Q...

Heh.

Seriously, Omaha's biggest problem (Nebraska in general) is the taxes. I live in Papillion, which is the number 6 city in the nation to live in, according to some recent magazine poll or something. The taxes suck, but everything else rules. I love it here. I've visited other places including KC. I think KC is very similar just bigger.

SPchief 10-13-2007 02:57 PM

Did anybody tell you about the zoo? It's pretty nice

Bearcat 11-03-2007 11:30 AM

Sitting in my empty apartment waiting for my stuff to show up (wishing I had a tv for the KU/NU game :banghead: )... Went to the Qwest Center last night and it was a lot of fun. Only 9500 people, but a decent atmosphere. I'm the last person to complain about officiating, but Michigan brought their own last night. Paid $5 to park across the street from the arena, and $18 for 5th row seats (that I paid for a month ago).

After talking to a few people at work, I think we're going to go to Wheatfields for lunch/dinner, and then go to some zoo thing tomorrow. I hear it's okay.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...at2002/UNO.jpg

morphius 11-03-2007 11:55 AM

Single life is lacking, other then that it isn't to bad. When I was up there we were in the Av's coverage range for fox Sports, so you should love that.

InChiefsHeaven 11-03-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Sitting in my empty apartment waiting for my stuff to show up (wishing I had a tv for the KU/NU game :banghead: )... Went to the Qwest Center last night and it was a lot of fun. Only 9500 people, but a decent atmosphere. I'm the last person to complain about officiating, but Michigan brought their own last night. Paid $5 to park across the street from the arena, and $18 for 5th row seats (that I paid for a month ago).

After talking to a few people at work, I think we're going to go to Wheatfields for lunch/dinner, and then go to some zoo thing tomorrow. I hear it's okay.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...at2002/UNO.jpg

Re: the KU\NU game...you didn't miss much, except the largest point total scored against Nebraska...ever...

My daughter was at the hockey game last night. Once teh season gets going, I'll be up there selling beer at the Corona\Pacifico stand. If you go there alot, come and say hi...I'm the one with the goatee...

Enjoy the big O!