ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Killer aps for the iPhone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190700)

NewChief 09-05-2008 10:21 AM

Killer aps for the iPhone?

My wife finally got her beloved iPhone. I admit that I can't stop playing with the thing either. Anyone have any favorite apps? I've downloaded some freebies: facebook, wikipedia, sports updates, flashlight.

What are some must haves that are actually worth paying for?

HC_Chief 09-05-2008 10:23 AM

Pandora - streaming music; kicks ass, basically you build your own radio station
Where - Uses GPS to locate you then locates whatever you're looking for & plots course (restaurants, bars, museums, whatever)
Labrynth - Marble madness
Shazam - Identifies music by capturing a short sample
Video Poker - name says it all
Brain Tuner - answer simple math questions as fast and accurately as possible
Units - Conversion utility

NewChief 09-05-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 4982024)
Pandora - streaming music; kicks ass, basically you build your own radio station
Where - Uses GPS to locate you then locates whatever you're looking for & plots course (restaurants, bars, museums, whatever)
Labrynth - Marble madness
Shazam - Identifies music by capturing a short sample
Video Poker - name says it all
Brain Tuner - answer simple math questions as fast and accurately as possible
Units - Conversion utility

Sweet. I love Pandora on my computer, but I was curious how well it ran on 3G? I know it will do fine when on a wireless network.

QuikSsurfer 09-05-2008 10:39 AM

Stanza
Labyrinth is a must
Pandora is great
Koi Pond -- i really like this :)
iProcrastinate
1337pwn Xbox live

irishjayhawk 09-05-2008 11:08 AM

If you need something to keep you organized, I recommend Things. It cost $10 but it's awesome and the developers are pretty transparent and working hard.

I have to third Pandora.

A lot of people love Ambience for relaxing. And I've heard nothing but good things for MLB At Bat, which I wish the NFL would have something similar...

Shag 09-05-2008 11:38 AM

HoldEm ($5, but worth it if you like Hold 'em)
Pandora
Simplify (streams music from your iTunes to your iPhone)
Yelp
Remote (control iTunes remotely)
Showtimes/Now Playing (not sure which I prefer yet)
Sportacular
Tap Tap Revenge
iSSH (for work)

KCFalcon59 09-05-2008 12:08 PM

Just got the iPhone a couple weeks ago and can't put it down. Love the phone. I like the free and .99 apps. Some of the others are way too expensive. This is what I have downloaded so far.

Pandora works great.
Shazam is very cool.
Cannon Game
Labyrinth
Black Jack Run Lite
Hanoi
Scoremobile

KCFalcon59 09-05-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 4982042)
Sweet. I love Pandora on my computer, but I was curious how well it ran on 3G? I know it will do fine when on a wireless network.

I've run it on 3G and not had a problem at all. Works great.

HC_Chief 09-05-2008 12:11 PM

My kids can't stop playing BreakClassic (basically it's Breakout). They actually prefer it to Wii and 360. :rolleyes:

MIAdragon 09-05-2008 12:21 PM

Sports Tap.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-05-2008 02:14 PM

http://www.gp.lib.mi.us/information/...edgehammer.jpg

irishjayhawk 09-05-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 4982374)
Sports Tap.

I downloaded that one but never really used it. Maybe I will now that NFL season is here.

irishjayhawk 09-05-2008 02:40 PM

Doesn't Applebees have killer apps? :p

Garcia Bronco 09-05-2008 03:30 PM

Phone Saber dude. LOL

Garcia Bronco 09-05-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 4982250)
HoldEm ($5, but worth it if you like Hold 'em)
Pandora
Simplify (streams music from your iTunes to your iPhone)
Yelp
Remote (control iTunes remotely)
Showtimes/Now Playing (not sure which I prefer yet)
Sportacular
Tap Tap Revenge
iSSH (for work)

Is iSSH worth a crap?

Elwaysux 09-05-2008 03:37 PM

Anyone having problems with the 2.0 upgrade? Today I tried again and once again it crashed my IPhone. I have to wait until 5:30 to get into tech support at the Apple Store to get it up and going again. This is the second time trying to download the upgrade has crashed it. Last time they said my Itunes were corrupted. I like the phone and the internet access but I cannot afford to be down for 5 hours when the download dumps it.

Shag 09-05-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 4982964)
Is iSSH worth a crap?

I just bought it the other day, but it seems to work fine so far. Digging around my linux servers a bit didn't uncover any issues. I wouldn't want to do any major work/troubleshooting on it, but having a pocket SSH client could prove to be a lifesaver for me for those relatively minor issues that pop up off-hours...

Silock 09-05-2008 09:56 PM

Don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch. I bought Lumen, and it's totally worth it.

Thousands of puzzles to solve in it, and some are incredibly hard. Granted, some are ridiculously easy, but since there are so many to choose from, I doubt you'll ever do the same one twice.

HC_Chief 09-06-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 4982960)
Phone Saber dude. LOL

They pulled that one due to licensing issues, which is total crap IMO. It's a FREE useless app. It's not like the developers were trying to rip off the Star Wars franchise. sheesh

Luckily I already had a copy of it. You can drag & drop the apps straight out of iTunes into a folder; that's the whole file! I copied it from my Mac to my wife's, then to her iPhone w/o incident. Simple drag & drop.

BigChiefFan 09-06-2008 09:16 AM

Where do you get these applications from?

headsnap 09-06-2008 09:16 AM

Aurora Feint - The game is super addictive, best $0 I ever spent!

NewChief 09-06-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4984827)

On the iPhone, there's an "Apps Store" icon. You connect to it, then then browse through the apps and select one. They then download onto the phone.

QuikSsurfer 09-06-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4984827)

App store is also on itunes.

KCFalcon59 09-09-2008 09:46 PM

Just downloaded Air Sharing. It is free for the first 2 weeks. Allows you to wirelessly share files between your iPhone and computers. Pretty darn cool.

irishjayhawk 09-09-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 5000998)
Just downloaded Air Sharing. It is free for the first 2 weeks. Allows you to wirelessly share files between your iPhone and computers. Pretty darn cool.

As did I.

Also, sportstacular beats Sportstap.

KCFalcon59 09-09-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5001002)
As did I.

Also, sportstacular beats Sportstap.

I like it too. Thought this past weekend it was having trouble accessing it's server. Scoremobile is nice also.

NewChief 09-10-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 5000998)

Oh damn. That's nice. Can you DL the files onto your iPhone?

That's my main issue with the iPhone at the moment, is that I want to be able to manage files with a finder and treat the thing like a hard drive if necessary. For instance, my wife uses a lot of .pdfs in her design work, and it would be nice if she could save them to the iPhone for quick presentation to people if necessary.

I know there are workarounds and apps that do it, but it annoys me that Apple didn't build that very basic functionality into it.

irishjayhawk 09-10-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5001412)

That's my main issue with the iPhone at the moment, is that I want to be able to manage files with a finder and treat the thing like a hard drive if necessary. For instance, my wife uses a lot of .pdfs in her design work, and it would be nice if she could save them to the iPhone for quick presentation to people if necessary.

I know there are workarounds and apps that do it, but it annoys me that Apple didn't build that very basic functionality into it.

You can read files on the iphone with AirShare.

KCFalcon59 09-10-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

I transferred files between computers last night.

irishjayhawk 09-29-2008 10:48 PM

Anyone try facebook 2.0?

Damn fine application.

NewChief 09-30-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5068633)
Anyone try facebook 2.0?

Damn fine application.

HUGE improvement over the previous version.

HC_Chief 09-30-2008 11:24 AM

FYI: new phonesaber out; still $0 :D

Fewer colors, but now you can choose saber based on character (5 diff from the new Star Wars game)

Fun, useless, geeky.

KCFalcon59 09-30-2008 03:58 PM

They really improved the facebook app. If you like to keep track of stocks and your 401K. Download the Bloomberg app. Nice app.

QuikSsurfer 10-14-2008 05:13 PM

Air Mouse is GREAT
I have a macbook hooked up to my living room TV and I can use my iphone as a mouse right from the couch. Left and right mouse buttons, scroll pad, and keyboard. This app works very well.

BWillie 10-14-2008 05:53 PM

Steve Jobs likes rainbows

NewChief 10-24-2008 12:15 PM

Shazam is possibly the coolest app I've ever seen. I have no clue of how it even works. Basically you launch it while a song is playing, and it will tell you title, artist, and album of the song. I listen to a lot of indy/college radio, and the DJs are bad about identifying song and artist. I can launch the app, and it takes about 10 seconds for the iPhone to tell me the info on the song.

I can't tell you how many times I hear songs out in public or on the TV or in a move, and I want to know who the song is by. Now I can use Shazam to find out. Very freaking cool.

The Rick 10-27-2008 09:19 AM

Google Earth iPhone app was just released today. Looks pretty nice.

NewChief 10-27-2008 09:51 AM

I want an app that finds the damned thing when it's stolen or lost. I lost my wife's yesterday. We think I set it on top of the car after we'd been on a trail. Within 30 minutes, it must have been found, becaues it had been turned off and was automatically going to the voicemail. :banghead:

Some bastard found it and knew what to do with it.

irishjayhawk 10-27-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5157398)
I want an app that finds the damned thing when it's stolen or lost. I lost my wife's yesterday. We think I set it on top of the car after we'd been on a trail. Within 30 minutes, it must have been found, becaues it had been turned off and was automatically going to the voicemail. :banghead:

I hope you find it.

NewChief 10-27-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5158084)
I hope you find it.

We already bought a replacement, but we have 30 days when we can return the replacement if the old one shows up.

88TG88 10-27-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 5157285)
Google Earth iPhone app was just released today. Looks pretty nice.

meh, it's ok. Without streetview it's pretty much the same as the maps feature.

Marcellus 10-27-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5158214)
We already bought a replacement, but we have 30 days when we can return the replacement if the old one shows up.

Are the replacements $199? I dropped mine don a big set of tile and metal stairs at work today and put a small crack in the corner of it. Still works fine but the crack will drive me nuts.

NewChief 10-27-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 5159322)
Are the replacements $199? I dropped mine don a big set of tile and metal stairs at work today and put a small crack in the corner of it. Still works fine but the crack will drive me nuts.

Afraid not. $400 for a replacement, unless you're due an upgrade on your account. Our iPhone showed back up. Unfortunately it had fallen off the car and been run over. I'm supposed to go pick it up from the guy who found it tonight or tomorrow. It still works, but he said it isn't in good condition, heh. I'm going to see about a repair through the apple store, but I imagine that I'm about to have a very expensive paperweight in the near future.

If yours is a small crack, you might be able to get it fixed. I've read some reports of people having luck at the Genius Bar in their stores.

QuikSsurfer 10-30-2008 10:15 PM

Download the game "Trace" right now. It's free and on the "top 25 free" list in app store.

DaFace 10-31-2008 07:11 PM

I saw this on digg today:

Opera Browser Not Allowed in iPhone App Store

I've always been amazed at how Apple can simultaneously be so in tune in setting new boundaries for computing while simultaneously not "getting it" at all.

irishjayhawk 10-31-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 5171397)
I saw this on digg today:

Opera Browser Not Allowed in iPhone App Store

I've always been amazed at how Apple can simultaneously be so in tune in setting new boundaries for computing while simultaneously not "getting it" at all.

Technically, they specified in the SDK that no one else could mount a separate javascript engine.

It's not the alternative browser, it's the engines underneath.

HC_Chief 11-01-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5169049)
Download the game "Trace" right now. It's free and on the "top 25 free" list in app store.

rep for an excellent recommendation! :thumb:

patteeu 11-03-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5147548)
Shazam is possibly the coolest app I've ever seen. I have no clue of how it even works. Basically you launch it while a song is playing, and it will tell you title, artist, and album of the song. I listen to a lot of indy/college radio, and the DJs are bad about identifying song and artist. I can launch the app, and it takes about 10 seconds for the iPhone to tell me the info on the song.

I can't tell you how many times I hear songs out in public or on the TV or in a move, and I want to know who the song is by. Now I can use Shazam to find out. Very freaking cool.

Wow, that sounds great.

Silock 11-13-2008 05:17 AM

Flycast. This app owns my soul.

KCFalcon59 11-13-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 5215122)
Flycast. This app owns my soul.

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-13-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5157398)

If you had sprint, they have a GPS locator you can enable that will show you where the phone is when it is on.

QuikSsurfer 11-19-2008 02:49 AM

Adventure is up on the app store - for free!! Just like the original Atari game.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...296563933&mt=8
I've also been LOVING "Quick Draw"
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...293619230&mt=8

DaFace 11-19-2008 11:36 AM

If they could somehow make it so that Shazam could deal with simple melodies, I'd almost buy an iPhone just for that. I hate having songs stuck in my head and not being able to figure out what they are. If I could just hum the melody and it would tell me what the song was, that would be the coolest thing. Ever.

Skyy God 11-19-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 5232508)
If they could somehow make it so that Shazam could deal with simple melodies, I'd almost buy an iPhone just for that. I hate having songs stuck in my head and not being able to figure out what they are. If I could just hum the melody and it would tell me what the song was, that would be the coolest thing. Ever.

Ball's in your court.

http://www.topiphoneresource.info/mi...to-find-music/

DaFace 11-19-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5232740)

:eek:

Awesome!!! And it's not even iPhone specific. Cool.

I love technology.

irishjayhawk 11-19-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 5233980)
:eek:

Awesome!!! And it's not even iPhone specific. Cool.

I love technology.

Yes, but does it work? Is it accurate?

DaFace 11-20-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5234063)

No clue. I'll have to dig for my microphone to test it out. If any others are interested, you can use your computer to play with it on their site:

http://www.midomi.com/

Skyy God 11-20-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5234063)

From what I heard, you have to be able to sign the song decently for it to work.

NewChief 11-20-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5235117)
From what I heard, you have to be able to sign the song decently for it to work.

After much research playing Cranium and being subjected to the "humdinger" offerings of both opponents and teammates, I have little faith in the majority of Americans to carry a tune.

KCFalcon59 05-02-2009 05:47 PM

I went ahead and bought the MLB At Bat 2009. $10 seemed a bit high, but I love this app. You can follow all the games and also listen to them as well. Video replays available soon after it happens. Very nice. If I can't watch it on TV, this is the way to go. :thumb:

Silock 05-02-2009 06:03 PM

Games:

Fieldrunners - Good desktop tower defense game.

Shredder - Killer chess app that automatically changes its skill level based on how well you play.

Baby Lee 05-02-2009 07:28 PM

I love my Ipod touch level, surprisingly accurate.

Baby Lee 05-02-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Stanza is freeware, originally to make an Ipod a quasi-Kindle. It reads PDFs.

Jewish Rabbi 05-03-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 (Post 5734194)
I went ahead and bought the MLB At Bat 2009. $10 seemed a bit high, but I love this app. You can follow all the games and also listen to them as well. Video replays available soon after it happens. Very nice. If I can't watch it on TV, this is the way to go. :thumb:

This times a billion. Most of my shifts at work are 3-11, without easy access to a computer. I can still keep up on the Cardinals with the gamecenter, then sneak to the bathroom to watch the highlights. Great ap.

88TG88 05-03-2009 07:02 PM

TextFree rox

QuikSsurfer 05-03-2009 08:18 PM

Wolfenstein is great

beach tribe 05-03-2009 08:34 PM

JUst got mine a couple days ago. Now I don't know how I lived without it LOL. Seriously though, I do love it.

007 05-03-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5736845)
Wolfenstein is great

I'd like to see shadow warrior and duke on it. heh

QuikSsurfer 05-07-2009 08:38 PM

Myst

007 05-08-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5749052)
Myst

That game needs to die a painful death.

KevB 05-08-2009 12:10 AM

Orb is a winner. iShoot is addictive, that and Fieldrunners are the two games I find myself playing most often. Flickster is very cool for movies. Pandora ap is cool.

88TG88 05-08-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 5749356)
Orb is a winner. iShoot is addictive, that and Fieldrunners are the two games I find myself playing most often. Flickster is very cool for movies. Pandora ap is cool.

agreed on Ishoot

beach tribe 05-08-2009 06:48 AM

Flick fishing is cool.

hishighness 05-08-2009 07:08 AM

I'd like to see an app that would kill the iPhone. Mostly cuz I hate Apple and their smug ad campaign.

QuikSsurfer 05-09-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5749354)
That game needs to die a painful death.

Someone couldn't get the puzzles :)

007 05-09-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5752084)
Someone couldn't get the puzzles :)

Not without a walkthrough. That game drove me nearly insane.

Frazod 05-13-2009 02:12 PM

Well, I picked up an iPhone last night. I'll have to look into some of these apps.

Two of the first things I've learned, however, are (1) the damned battery drains faster than a bottle of Jack Daniels at ENDelt's house, and (2) the iPod charger I have at work doesn't work for the iPhone. No more playing until I get home tonight. :banghead:

QuikSsurfer 05-13-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5762266)
Well, I picked up an iPhone last night. I'll have to look into some of these apps.

Two of the first things I've learned, however, are (1) the damned battery drains faster than a bottle of Jack Daniels at ENDelt's house, and (2) the iPod charger I have at work doesn't work for the iPhone. No more playing until I get home tonight. :banghead:

Just picked up my new 16gig 3g iphone yesterday and I'm loving the battery life... What kind of charger/cable do you have at work?? a firewire cable?

Frazod 05-13-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5762339)
Just picked up my new 16gig 3g iphone yesterday and I'm loving the battery life... What kind of charger/cable do you have at work?? a firewire cable?

I have a dedicated iPod charger, but I think the cord predates the iPhone. It plugs in, but then I get a message saying the cord is incompatable. Battery isn't completely dead, but down to 20%. I obviously didn't leave it plugged in long enough last night.

I've ordered a couple of new cords from monoprice so I can have one for the office and one for the bedroom in addition to one I'll keep by the computer. Got a spare power pack as well.

007 05-14-2009 05:27 AM

Just curious, will the iPhone work just like an iPod Touch if you don't have the service? I have seen several iPhones on ebay cheap from sellers with good histories. Has anyone used an iPhone without any service?