ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   question about the first challenge (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=13247)

tomahawk 10-15-2000 04:35 PM

I really didn't understand the challenge of the ball placement at all. Gun if given any got some poor advice on that. But I actually thought he was going to challenge where Gannon was at when he released the ball. From a t.v. standpoint it looked as if he had crossed the line of scrimmage, but no replay was ever shown. Did anyone else notice if he was?

morphius 10-15-2000 04:43 PM

tomahawk - He had said in the post show that they wanted them to look at where Gannon was when they threw the ball. It sounded like the officials looked at where the guy went out of bounce instead. The Refs just rocked this game.

milkman 10-15-2000 06:33 PM

So let me understand this. Gun tells the ref he wants him to look at where Gannon was when he released the ball, because he (Gun) thinks that Gannon is beyond the LOS. The ref, who can't see all that well, apparently has hearing problems as well, goes to the replay and checks the placement of the ball after the catch is made.
Remember a few years ago when the Chiefs had a TD pass ruled incomplete, after review, the ref says the play stands as called. After the game, we learn the replay official (this game was during the first life of instant replay) told the ref that "the pass is complete." The ref thought he was told the "pass incomplete"
How do we keep getting these refs who can't see or hear?

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

morphius 10-15-2000 06:49 PM

Milkman - Yeah, pretty much looks that way. I think we could just stick a robot out there and have him make random calls on random plays and we would end up better off and just as correct as we are now.

Morphs
Death to the Ref

gh4chiefs 10-15-2000 08:36 PM

Everyone in the section around us thought the challenge was about the point where he released the ball. In fact, Arrowvision began showing several replays of Gannon's release. It was never clear to me whether he was or not. Then they went on to review the business about ball placement, which was a ridiculous review.

My first thought was that the question of whether or not he was over the line was probably not reviewable. Anyone know anything about that?

As I posted on my other thread, I think maybe it's time for replay to go bye-bye. It's clearly not working.

------------------
Gary

DJay23 10-15-2000 08:53 PM

That is a reviewable play. However, when the offical goes to check out the replay he announces what the replay is looking for. Why, when the announcement was made, did someone not run to the official and tell him that he got is screwed up? I think it was another bonehead Gun call. Did he say anything about it in the post game comments?

morphius 10-15-2000 08:55 PM

Djay - He said that they were sure that Gannon was over the line when he threw the ball, and don't know how the refs missed it. It confused me that nobody said anything to the refs when they said they were reviewing the placement. I don't get it.

DJay23 10-15-2000 09:01 PM

Exactly morph, that's why I thought Gun just screwed it up.