ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682)

Mr. Flopnuts 01-31-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6495048)
just got back from out of town at a wedding. By the time the reception began, they had the game on in the next room and it was already in OT.

and i did pick a winner. I said I thought KU should win.

And no im not going to look for the post.

Hey, I'm not hating on you here. I was just curious. I looked through the thread for one but didn't see it.

CoMoChief 01-31-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6495206)
Where's old town?

Northside. Near Lincoln Park area.

CoMoChief 01-31-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6495337)
Hey, I'm not hating on you here. I was just curious. I looked through the thread for one but didn't see it.

It may be in the EMAW thread then. I can't remember.

luv 01-31-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6495337)

I saw it.

BigRedChief 02-01-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 6495307)
Did I say Reza's restaurant?

Where's that at?

Frankie 02-01-2010 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6496038)
Where's that at?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...eza+restaurant

Sfeihc 02-01-2010 09:50 AM

BRC, you're in for a great time. Chicago is a paradise for someone with a zest for life like yourself. Great restaurants abound for all tastes. My advice avoid the chains, very touristy. Have fun and give us a full report.

whatsmynameagain 02-01-2010 09:58 AM

lots of great info here. im going in early march to see muse at the united center, cant wait!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Faithful 02-01-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6495028)
Wrigleyville (bar district, college age)
Sears Tower
Michigan Ave
ESPN Zone
Rush St and Old Town (bar district)
Second City (in Old Town, comedy club)
Field Museum
Science Museum

Good list.

If you know a little art appreciation don't miss the Art Museum. Most people really like the Science Museum, but when I lived there my family liked the Field Museum the best.

Inspector 02-01-2010 10:09 AM

Avoid hotels by that river. A friend of mine had a college age son go there for some kind of seminar or something and left one hotel to go to another next door and that's the last time anyone has seen him. And that was, I think, in 2006.

Sfeihc 02-01-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsmynameagain (Post 6496255)
lots of great info here. im going in early march to see muse at the united center, cant wait!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I headed to the Windy City in early Feb. as well for a couple of Furthur shows. Last time I was in Chicago was last summer to see Phish and they debuted a song called "Windy City". I love that town. :)

Frazod 02-01-2010 10:17 AM

Another thing - if you drive up here, be warned that Chicago sold control of its parking meters to a private company, and in turn that company jacked up rates. There are meters everywhere in the downtown area, they're annoying and expensive, and you'll get ticketed/towed in a heartbeat if they expire or you park in a no parking zone. They don't **** around with it. The only alternative is parking in a garage, but you'll still get raped - the average price is around $30 a day. Better to use public transportation.

OmahaChief 02-01-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6494872)
Don't waste your time on Navy Pier. Marginal in the warmer months, it would be worthless now. Shedd Aquarium I've heard is also iffy.

The Shedd is worth every cent you spend there if you like fish and stuff like that. My wife and I loved it. The Beluga whales were cool as hell. The place is massive with lots of cool stuff.

Inspector 02-01-2010 10:42 AM

I went to Chicago about a year ago to see the Fray / Vedera concert at the Metro. Stayed at the Hyatt by the river. The weidest part was a huge protest by what appeared to be a large group of Muslims in front of our hotel. I never figured out why. I was going to ask one of the rabbi's who were in our hotel for some sort of Jewsh convention but they all looked busy.

Dartgod 02-01-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 6496374)
The Shedd is worth every cent you spend there if you like fish and stuff like that. My wife and I loved it. The Beluga whales were cool as hell. The place is massive with lots of cool stuff.

Meh. The bastards confiscated my fishing pole on the way in. I'll never go back.

Seriously. They have a restraining order against me now.