ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Babb: Chiefs’ Cassel can’t count on starting if he doesn’t produce (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214760)

L.A. Chieffan 09-23-2009 09:42 AM

Where do they come up with this shit?

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 6102103)
Haley said in his press conference last week that he was happy that Croyle didn't turn the ball over. Haley knows what Brodie is, make no mistake about it.

I don't see how that's even possible.

For much of Brodie Croyle's three plus years in the NFL, he's been unable to play in more than 8 games, let alone participate on the practice field. He's been stuck that entire team behind the worst offensive line in the league.

Giving up on Brodie Croyle would be absolutely ridiculous at this point in time, especially if he can finally beat the injury bug and stay healthy.

The guy has all the talent in the world to become a successful NFL QB.

If his body will allow it.

BigChiefFan 09-23-2009 11:40 AM

Wow, why is this news? If you've been paying attention, Haley's been saying this all along.

Basically, Haley is trying to light a fire under Cassel, without throwing him under the bus AND keep Brodie fired up about staying competitive and always having a shot. Coach speak 101.

Marcellus 09-23-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 6102390)
Wow, why is this news? If you've been paying attention, Haley's been saying this all along.

Basically, Haley is trying to light a fire under Cassel, without throwing him under the bus AND keep Brodie fired up about staying competitive and always having a shot. Coach speak 101.

Yup. I don't get how this is a story.

They keep asking questions about the QB situatino over and over trying to get answers to make into a story.

htismaqe 09-23-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6102319)
I don't see how that's even possible.

For much of Brodie Croyle's three plus years in the NFL, he's been unable to play in more than 8 games, let alone participate on the practice field. He's been stuck that entire team behind the worst offensive line in the league.

Giving up on Brodie Croyle would be absolutely ridiculous at this point in time, especially if he can finally beat the injury bug and stay healthy.

The guy has all the talent in the world to become a successful NFL QB.

If his body will allow it.

How in the hell is his body going to allow it? He's been hurt multiple times, SERIOUSLY, at every level he's played.

I'm not suggesting we give up on him, but making him a starter because you don't have any patience is ridiculous.

ChiefsCountry 09-23-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6101951)
You've been under Carl Peterson's thumb for too long.

Pioli's tenure is going to be linked to Cassel unless a Brady type thing happens. You can bet the farm knowing the ego that Belicheat's clones have he wont allow Cassel not to be it.

Brock 09-23-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6102432)
Pioli's tenure is going to be linked to Cassel unless a Brady type thing happens. You can bet the farm knowing the ego that Belicheat's clones have he wont allow Cassel not to be it.

I believe Pioli is about winning, not making himself look right.

dallaschiefsfan 09-23-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6102432)

This is simply an over-reach. This has been said of countless GM's that still lead their franchises after drafting or signing failed QB's that supposedly will be linked to them forever. Winning makes everyone forget.

And by the way, you might want to stop drinking the Whitlock Koolaid that Pioli is an egomaniac. Outside of Whitlock, who is saying this about the guy's character?

DaWolf 09-23-2009 12:24 PM

It's a win/win for Haley.

First, he gets to see how Cassel responds to this. You know Haley wants a mentally tough and resilient guy as his QB. So if Cassel responds poorly, strike one. If he responds well, then he's got something.

Second, he can probably sense that Cassel probably won't make it through the whole season healthy, so it's best to pump up Croyle a bit to keep his confidence up and also make sure he pushes himself as hard as he can.

Third and most importantly, it's all about competition. You want guys who want to be the best and you want those guys playing on sundays, so yeah I believe Haley, if he sees that there is something from Croyle that is going to help us win games that he's not getting from Cassel, he'll put in Croyle.

Of course the major downside is that if he inserts Croyle and then Croyle stinks it up and we keep losing, a good possibility given Croyle's history and lack of wins, he's basically screwed at QB.

I should add that I certainly think and hope that Cassel will respond well to this...

ChiefsCountry 09-23-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 6102539)
And by the way, you might want to stop drinking the Whitlock Koolaid that Pioli is an egomaniac. Outside of Whitlock, who is saying this about the guy's character?

I said it along time ago before jwhit started, its a trait that all of the Belicheck guys have, Weis, Mangina, McDaniels, etc.

Brock 09-23-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6102553)
I said it along time ago before jwhit started, its a trait that all of the Belicheck guys have, Weis, Mangina, McDaniels, etc.

What about Crennel? Or Dimitroff? They don't seem like egomaniacs to me.

dallaschiefsfan 09-23-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Can't speak to each of those guys, but Pioli strikes me as a guy that's all-business. That's not egotistical...that's called being responsible because you know you'll be held accountable for your actions (or lack thereof).

DaWolf 09-23-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Why does Pioli always get tossed in with the coaches? No one likes to point out the success that Pioli's protegee, Thomas Dimitrioff, is having in Atlanta.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27956928/ns/sports-nfl/

Quote:

A protégé of Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, Dimitroff’s got the same limelight-shunning, credit-sharing traits Pioli’s shown in his time building the Patriots dynasty. He doesn’t want the Falcons success to be about him.

He knows that from his six seasons in New England that, if selflessness starts at the top, it filters down quickly.
Quote:

“Mike and I used the model that Bill and Scott have in New England,” Dimitroff explains. “The closeness, the regular communication. That was a big part of my focus here. It had to be comfortable interaction. And Mike and I, the first time we spoke what was supposed to be a 90-minute meeting ended up being a three hour meeting. We respect each other's craft. I respect coaches immensely. My father was a coach. And Mike respects the institution of scouting.”
Quote:

“Scott is a strong personality — very passionate about football, a very detailed administrator, a very adept evaluator. The way he orchestrated the personnel side and got the proper information and proper direction of the team and system from Bill Belichick and was able to disseminate that information to me and the scouting staff, we all felt we were on the proverbial same page. And that was very important going out to scout. We weren’t just writing people up for the league; we were writing people up for the New England Patriots. That’s something that sunk deep. I’ve been involved in other regimes and nowhere did I learn more than being around Scott and Bill and from Scott’s approach to scouting.”
So Scott Pioli has been an integral part of building a three time superbowl winner and tutored one of the hottest new GM's in the league, yet he's arrogant and doesn't know what he's doing 2 games into his first season. Go figure...

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-23-2009 12:44 PM

The press is really fanning the flames on this one.

OnTheWarpath15 09-23-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 6102592)
Why does Pioli always get tossed in with the coaches? No one likes to point out the success that Pioli's protegee, Thomas Dimitrioff, is having in Atlanta.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27956928/ns/sports-nfl/

So Scott Pioli has been an integral part of building a three time superbowl winner and tutored one of the hottest new GM's in the league, yet he's arrogant and doesn't know what he's doing 2 games into his first season. Go figure...

As they were saying on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday, Dimitroff is the only success to have come out of NE.

And the reason they gave for it is that he's his own man. Notice what he did when he got to Atlanta:

No talk about the Patriot Way.

Went against almost every core belief of the Patriots organization:

-Spent high draft pick on franchise QB

-Spent big money in FA at the RB position, among others.

-Traded a high draft pick for a guy that plays a complementary position, who only wants to play another year or two.

Just a few examples.

They said he's gone against the grain ever since he was an area scout for the Pats. It's not surprising to see the guy succeed, where everyone else that has left NE has failed.