ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Brandon Marshall will you show up to camp? "I'm under contract with the Broncos" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=210288)

orange 07-15-2009 11:59 AM

Broncos sticking it to Brandon?

Posted by Mike Florio(PFT) on July 15, 2009 8:05 AM

No.
Broncos' Marshall must report July 27
Coach wants unhappy receiver in camp before most veterans
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/15/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

As an injured player, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been informed he needs to show up for training camp with the team's rookies on July 27.

As a disgruntled player, Marshall is a threat to continue his protest of his existing contract by failing to report to the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters by his assigned date.

All players received a letter from coach Josh McDaniels that formally notified them of their reporting dates for training camp. Veterans who demonstrated healthy bodies through the Broncos' off-season minicamps don't have to report until July 30, with two-a-day workout sessions commencing the next day.

Rookies and players rehabilitating from injury are scheduled to report July 27.

Marshall is coming off hip surgery that forced him to miss the entire offseason. He also sent the message he was un-happy with the Broncos' medical treatment and his contract by moving his rehabilitation away from the team's facility, then skipping the final minicamp in mid-June.

However, there is a chance Marshall's holdout could end sooner rather than later. All players who don't report by Aug. 11 must forfeit an accrued season. That would leave Marshall as a third-year player in 2009 instead of a fourth-year player. In turn, he would remain another season from the potential jackpot that is unrestricted free-agent eligibility.

"I'm not worried about that until it becomes apparent that those dates are going to mean something," McDaniels said recently. "Right now I'm looking at July 27. That's when he's supposed to report. We're looking forward to it."

Marshall is coming off back-to-back 100-catch seasons and is set to draw a $2.198 million salary in the final segment of a four-year contract he signed as a fourth-round drafted rookie in 2006.

He is working out in Minneapolis with the Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald, who is widely considered the NFL's top wide receiver.

After one of those recent workouts, Marshall was asked by Yahoo.com if he would report to training camp on time and said, "Well, I'm under contract with the Broncos."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12838661

Mile High Mania 07-15-2009 12:01 PM

I read that as well... plus, he needs to meet the new guys on his team.

Bwana 07-15-2009 12:07 PM

May the donks keep him for years to come. Marshall, the T.O. of the AFC west.

Mile High Mania 07-15-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 5903337)
May the donks keep him for years to come. Marshall, the T.O. of the AFC west.

It's a different flavor... not exactly TO from a "team killer" concept. If he'll keep clean off the field, he'll get his big fat pay day.

Titty Meat 07-15-2009 01:14 PM

Yea in order for him to ruin a team they'd have to be good to begin with.

Sanka 07-15-2009 04:37 PM

LOL I hope they give him his big pay day. Only good can come from it.

Quesadilla Joe 07-16-2009 12:08 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

Brandon Marshall says he'll be at training camp
Posted by Mike Florio on July 16, 2009 9:18 AM ET

In an interview with ESPN, apparently from the red carpet at the ESPY awards, an ascot-wearing Brandon Marshall said that he'll show up for training camp later this month.

"Right now I'm obligated, I'm under contract. . . . It's $14,000 a day if i miss," Marshall said. "I'm not stupid. So I will be there."

(Whether Marshall is or isn't stupid is a topic about which reasonable minds could differ. Clearly, he has done more than a few stupid things over the years.)

Actually, it's more like $17,000 per day for a training-camp holdout, if Marshall chooses to stay away. And he'd also owe the remaining 75 percent of his 2009 signing-bonus allocation of $100,000 or so; he forfeited the first 25 percent by skipping a mandatory minicamp in June, if the team decides to push the matter.

But whether Marshall and the team are truly on the same page remains to be seen. Marshall hinted during his ESPY sound bite at an agreement he reached with owner Pat Bowlen during a recent meeting, which presumably is a reference to the supposed promise by Bowlen that he will trade Marshall, if Marshall wants out.

So even though Marshall is going to show up, there could be some fireworks after he gets there.

|Zach| 07-16-2009 12:13 PM

Hey! Maybe this year he will have a 100 yd day receiving. That certainly didn't happen last year when the Broncos split the series against one of the worst KC teams in the history of the franchise.

And to think they will be a worse team this year. Enjoy your season Brandon!

Quesadilla Joe 07-16-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 5905575)
Hey! Maybe this year he will have a 100 yd day receiving. That certainly didn't happen last year when the Broncos split the series against one of the worst KC teams in the history of the franchise.

And to think they will be a worse team this year. Enjoy your season Brandon!

KC didn't beat Denver. Jay Cutler lost to KC with the 3 turnovers he had.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-16-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 5905594)

Well it's a good thing you've made that massive upgrade to Orton then!:rolleyes:

|Zach| 07-16-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 5905594)

Hate to be the one to tell you this but for all of Cutler's faults your guy under center is not better. Ahh Kyle Orton...checking down to TEs and RBs for 3 yards a clip.

Hey, what did your username used to be on here? ROFLROFL I love all the Denver fans lining up to throw Cutler under the bus.

Valiant 07-16-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 5897938)
To be accurate...the coach did not trade away Cutler. The owner did.

Wait, what?? You mean the coach that publicly touted another teams QB over his own allstar?? Yeah the owner wanted to get rid of their probowler on his own without the coach's dumb input that backfired on the team.. Hopefully stuff like this keeps happening to your franchise..

Quesadilla Joe 07-16-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 5905610)
Hate to be the one to tell you this but for all of Cutler's faults your guy under center is not better. Ahh Kyle Orton...checking down to TEs and RBs for 3 yards a clip.

Hey, what did your username used to be on here? ROFLROFL I love all the Denver fans lining up to throw Cutler under the bus.

The guy we have under center now knows how to win games. He also showed that he can play just as good as any QB when he has time to throw and when his receivers don't drop passes. An interception is more costly than a TD pass is helpful. Cutler can do some amazing things, but for every good play he has, he makes another bad one.

Yeah I used to have Cutler in my username, in defense, I didn't know he could be a 3 game division lead with 3 games to go. I also didn't know he was a douche bag until March of this year.

Titty Meat 07-16-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 5905683)
The guy we have under center now knows how to win games. He also showed that he can play just as good as any QB when he has time to throw and when his receivers don't drop passes. An interception is more costly than a TD pass is helpful. Cutler can do some amazing things, but for every good play he has, he makes another bad one.

Yeah I used to have Cutler in my username, in defense, I didn't know he could be a 3 game division lead with 3 games to go. I also didn't know he was a douche bag until March of this year.

Yup Orton knows how to win games. How many playoff games has he played in?

|Zach| 07-16-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 5905683)

You can rationalize anything.