ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   usr 8054 router LAN LIGHT Question (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110509)

theultimatekcchiefsfan 02-20-2005 03:27 PM

usr 8054 router LAN LIGHT Question

I have my main computer connected to LAN Port 1 by ethernet.

I have my second computer connected to Lan Port 2 by ethernet.

My Laptop is using the wireless connection.

My Lan Port 1 light remains green even after the main desktop computer is shutdown. Lan Port 2 green light goes off when I shut down computer # 2. (like I think they are supposed to)

I thought this should shut off, when the computer is off. I do not have my computers networked where they can share. They are just individual connections.

Should I be worried. Is someone connected on my connection or what?

Thanks Ultimate

Hammock Parties 02-20-2005 03:33 PM

Check your router logs, that should tell you.

The router status page should show all the IPs connected to your wireless router as well.

Is your wireless network encrypted? It needs to be.

htismaqe 02-20-2005 05:21 PM

The light stays on because the LAN connection is on standby.

Go into the BIOS for main computer and turn off the "Wake on LAN" feature.

theultimatekcchiefsfan 02-20-2005 10:47 PM

All I can find in BIOS is ACPI/Wake on PCIME. This was set to Power on, I changed to "Stay Off".

didnt fix problem.

Went to device manager and disabled "wake on settings" still no change. I set both these values back to normal now.

I believe we are on the right track, but it still isnt fixed.

htismaqe 02-20-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theultimatekcchiefsfan
All I can find in BIOS is ACPI/Wake on PCIME. This was set to Power on, I changed to "Stay Off".

didnt fix problem.

Went to device manager and disabled "wake on settings" still no change. I set both these values back to normal now.

I believe we are on the right track, but it still isnt fixed.

Don't know what to tell you man. It sounds like your Wake on LAN is on.

Other than it being annoying, why are you worried about it? If your PC is off, and you have that stuff disabled, your PC isn't at any risk.

KCWolfman 02-20-2005 11:02 PM

format c:

It is the only thing that will work. Do it to every PC in your home before they all become infected.

Dartgod 02-21-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
format c:

It is the only thing that will work. Do it to every PC in your home before they all become infected.

Send me all your pr0n first.

XXXshogunXXX 02-21-2005 03:18 PM

When you unplug the port from LAN 1, does the light turn off? and...you dont have to worry about wireless connecting through that port. Wireless doesnt effect any of the LAN ports. If the LAN port stays lit when it is disconnected..then the router is ****ed up.

Lzen 02-21-2005 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX
When you unplug the port from LAN 1, does the light turn off? and...you dont have to worry about wireless connecting through that port. Wireless doesnt effect any of the LAN ports. If the LAN port stays lit when it is disconnected..then the router is ****ed up.

I'm pretty sure a wireless could access other computers on the LAN if they were set to share. ;) Although he said his LAN isn't setup that way.

htismaqe 02-21-2005 08:23 PM

Quote:

It's possible that the router/switch has the ability to "hard set" autonegotiate.

With some enterprise workgroup switches (Cisco and Nortel) if you hard set the ports to 100/full, the light will stay on all the time, even if there's nothing connected to the port.

And like I said before, if the computer attached to that port is powered off, there's zero vulnerability/risk...

XXXshogunXXX 02-21-2005 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
I'm pretty sure a wireless could access other computers on the LAN if they were set to share. ;) Although he said his LAN isn't setup that way.

But the wireless connection wouldnt affect the lights on the LAN ports. They are stricly for wired connections.

XXXshogunXXX 02-22-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
It's possible that the router/switch has the ability to "hard set" autonegotiate.

With some enterprise workgroup switches (Cisco and Nortel) if you hard set the ports to 100/full, the light will stay on all the time, even if there's nothing connected to the port.

And like I said before, if the computer attached to that port is powered off, there's zero vulnerability/risk...

Ive never herad of that with a home router. if the light stays on when its unplugged, then its probably just a bad light on the router. The computer looks like its working with the light on or off, so its just a small issue. Why fix it if its not broken. Id just leave it alone.

htismaqe 02-22-2005 06:19 AM

Quote:

Ive never herad of that with a home router. if the light stays on when its unplugged, then its probably just a bad light on the router. The computer looks like its working with the light on or off, so its just a small issue. Why fix it if its not broken. Id just leave it alone.

I've never heard of it with a home router either, but I'm running out of ideas of what it might be.

theultimatekcchiefsfan 02-25-2005 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman
format c:

Believe it or not reformatted and fixed that problem. Also I fixed that damn usb 2.0 problem too............:clap:

KCWolfman 02-27-2005 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theultimatekcchiefsfan
Believe it or not reformatted and fixed that problem. Also I fixed that damn usb 2.0 problem too............:clap:

DAMN YOU!!!! Damn your backups all to hell!!!

Seriously, I wipe my drive about once every 2 years. Does it help? I don't know, but in conjunction with other precautions I take, I usually don't have issues.