ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Tebow trademarks kneeling on one knee and fake praying (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265434)

DRU 10-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9033840)
Lol. I actually am pretty successful in what I do. you admitted yourself he can make money off of this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Again, the ability to make money based on licensing deals...in which the 2nd party would have to AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THE DEAL...is a lot different than forcing somebody to pay royalties for praying, which is what you all seem to think this is going to do.

This trademark was filed to protect their mark. It's as simple as that. If somebody down the road calls them up and offers to pay them for use of that mark any good business would consider it, and if it worked out for all parties, accept it. That doesn't make them a piece of shit. That makes them an American citizen doing what we are all here trying to do.

SAUTO 10-20-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9033880)
Again, the ability to make money based on licensing deals...in which the 2nd party would have to AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THE DEAL...is a lot different than forcing somebody to pay royalties for praying, which is what you all seem to think this is going to do.

No I understand completely. I actually said somewhere he could CHOOSE to let them continue use and get PAID.

Another entity could want use. Tebow throws fit. They negotiate a monetary deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish 10-20-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9033582)
When people are using your name and image however they please, and the vast majority of the public associates that name and image with an exact person or corporation, that person/corp has every right to protect themselves from public confusion by protecting that mark. That's exactly what trademarks are for.

I deal with this stuff all the time, and I've spent thousands of dollars for attorney's to fight IP battles for me. I've learned a lot in the process. This is a pretty straight forward case.

If you're so bothered by it, you could always file a dispute with the Trademark and Patent office. It was officially granted on 10/9 and the public has 30 days from that time to dispute the validity of the trademark.

So, seriously. If you disagree, file a dispute and see if you can block him from completing his trademark application for good.

It's not the government's job to protect people from confusion. It's also not the government's job to protect famous people's public image. Which is exactly what's happening in this case.

The USPTO stifles innovation, causes more confusion than it prevents, and costs manufacturers millions of unnecessary dollars. They can **** themselves.

DRU 10-20-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9033896)
It's not the government's job to protect people from confusion. It's also not the government's job to protect famous people's public image. Which is exactly what's happening in this case.

The USPTO stifles innovation, causes more confusion than it prevents, and costs manufacturers millions of unnecessary dollars. They can **** themselves.

Oh, of course, now it's the government that sucks. Tebow sucks for following the rules, America sucks for making those rules, and everything and everybody is just a big pile of dog shit because we're not all millionaires.

I've got an idea. Instead of wearing black to the Bengals game we should just all join together and kill ourselves. This world isn't good enough for us to live in if sports figures can trademark their marks.

Do you run your own business, by chance? If so, may I ask what your company is called and what you do?

Fish 10-20-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9033932)
Oh, of course, now it's the government that sucks. Tebow sucks for following the rules, America sucks for making those rules, and everything and everybody is just a big pile of dog shit because we're not all millionaires.

I've got an idea. Instead of wearing black to the Bengals game we should just all join together and kill ourselves. This world isn't good enough for us to live in if sports figures can trademark their marks.

Do you run your own business, by chance? If so, may I ask what your company is called and what you do?

It's always been the government's fault. I haven't argued otherwise. I'm in favor of the abolition of the majority of intellectual property rights. I've stated that long before this Tebow nonsense. The costs and complications of IP rights don't justify the benefits. And the fact that it's ineffective the majority of the time doesn't help the argument.

I just don't think it's necessary for people to pay the government to try and protect their reputation with regards to touchdown poses. It's the absurd end of the spectrum which should be a red flag that something is wrong with the system.

DRU 10-20-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9034055)
It's always been the government's fault. I haven't argued otherwise. I'm in favor of the abolition of the majority of intellectual property rights. I've stated that long before this Tebow nonsense. The costs and complications of IP rights don't justify the benefits. And the fact that it's ineffective the majority of the time doesn't help the argument.

I just don't think it's necessary for people to pay the government to try and protect their reputation with regards to touchdown poses. It's the absurd end of the spectrum which should be a red flag that something is wrong with the system.

Well man, that's an entirely different argument for an entirely different thread.

The reality of the situation is there are legitimate reasons for such protection, there are laws in place that allow businesses to do so, and this Tebowing thing is a perfect example of one that fits, which is why they granted it. Believe me, it's not easy to get trademarks issued.

Unfortunately, like anything else, there are people who try to take advantage of it and cause you to dislike the whole thing. Fine. Don't call out a single person for following the rules to protect themselves and their business.

If you don't like the system now is a great time to be thinking about that, but again, that's for a different topic. That said, IP issues don't seem to be a very hot topic in the debates, so it's probably not going to be changing any time soon.