ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Perdido Key? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187212)

NewChief 07-13-2008 12:17 PM

Perdido Key?

We're headed down to Perdido Key, FL on Friday. Just curious if anyone has been and has suggestions on places to eat, drink, and fish.

Phobia 07-13-2008 12:23 PM

I like to fish in the ocean. Lots of fun.

NewChief 07-13-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4844546)
I like to fish in the ocean. Lots of fun.

I prefer golf course water hazards, which are easier to find in Florida than the ocean.

beach tribe 07-13-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 4844529)
We're headed down to Perdido Key, FL on Friday. Just curious if anyone has been and has suggestions on places to eat, drink, and fish.

I lived right up the road for about five yrs.

BEAUTIFUL beaches. Not much else. THE REEF is a good place to eat, and have a drink. There's a good mexican place across the street from the liquor store. I don't know where you're from, but keep in mind that that area is considered L.A. .............Lower Alabama.

Enjoy the beach. I've seen many of them. A hurricane scattered a bunch of debris around last time I was there. If they have cleaned it up, It's one of the best. No crowding. Excellent white sand.

Bowser 07-13-2008 12:27 PM

I hear Duma Key is a good place to go and find yourself. Take a sketch book.

StcChief 07-13-2008 02:32 PM

Corona, beach chair and hottie..... who needs mexico

Stewie 07-13-2008 02:49 PM

Florida is over-rated unless you're a blue hair.

NewChief 07-13-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 4844805)

I tend to agree, and I refused to take the annual family vacation to Florida for years. I was too snobbish and thought all my family were rednecks and uncultured for wanting to go. That being said, it's a great place to take a relaxing family vacation with the kids. Get up every day before dawn and go fishing. Come back home and eat breakfast with everyone who is just getting up. Take the kids to the beach, then the pool. Go in for naps with the kids and get out of the sun. Read a little. Come back out and hit the pool then the beach. Go out for a nice dinner or cook one in the hotel room. Sit up and play dominoes or cards after the kids go to bed, knocking back a few cold ones. It's hard to beat, especially for spending quality time with your extended family. It's certainly not the culturally interesting experience that I usually seek in my travels, but those tend to be more difficult and more expensive when kids are involved.

I'll also add that I've been to Nice, the Greek Islands, Cancun, Jamaica, California, and Australia, and I'll put Florida's beaches up against almost any of those, in the right places. The skyscrapers, crowds and touristy crap can ruin the feel of the beaches in Florida, but there are spots where it's absolutely gorgeous and unique. You've just go to go out and find the State Parks and such and find the Florida that once was before the tourist boom "ruined" it.

beach tribe 07-13-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 4844805)

Depends on where you go.

beach tribe 07-13-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 4844864)
I'll also add that I've been to Nice, the Greek Islands, Cancun, Jamaica, California, and Australia, and I'll put Florida's beaches up against almost any of those, in the right places. The skyscrapers, crowds and touristy crap can ruin the feel of the beaches in Florida, but there are spots where it's absolutely gorgeous and unique. You've just go to go out and find the State Parks and such and find the Florida that once was before the tourist boom "ruined" it.

I've been to beaches in many different countries, and can back up this statement.

My favorite beach that has not been destroyed :Navarre FL. At 6:30 pm, you may be the only person on the beach for miles. Beautiful.

Favorite drinking(party beach)beach: Ft. Lauderdale. Overcrowding kills it for me, or their would be something else here, but that's just me. Most of the time it's not TOO crowded, yet there's never a shortage of something look at.

jagerdrinker 07-13-2008 07:36 PM

Well, you missed the Blue Angels show by one week, so scratch that one off. Pensacola NAS has a wonderful Naval Flight Museum. You can see the history of airborne Naval warfare close up. Additionally, there are a ton of places to hit on Perdido Key and in Orange Beach, AL (not too much further down the road.) Try to hit the Flora-Bama for some local redneck fare. If your tastes run more sophisticated, head into Pensacola for fine Southern dining at Jackson's or The Pensacola Fish House. Hemingway's is also a nice spot to eat if you head out to Pensacola Beach.