ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Worrisome Things... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=124001)

Gaz 09-13-2005 06:26 AM

Worrisome Things...

Okay, the euphoric afterglow has subsided somewhat, so it is time to look at the Bad Stuff.

I have read some posts bemoaning the yardage we gave up to the Jets. Feh. Yardage means nothing. Just another playtoy for stat monkeys who have no idea what a standard deviation is or what it means. Fugeddaboutdit.

Offense disappeared in the 2nd half. So what? We were up by 17 and went conservative. Personally, I think that was a mistake. You should always firewall the throttle. However, the O did not disappear; Vermeil and Saunders put on the brakes. Well, maybe they just took their foot of the pedal and coasted. Again, not a concern.

Injuries. Ah, there’s the rub. It was a very costly victory. Four starters out. Yow.

In order of importance:

1. Surtain-
You do not mess with concussions, but I sure hope he is up for playing this weekend. I do not believe anyone is going to shut down the Raiders passing game by CBs smothering the WRs. However, the idea of McCleon, Sapp & Washington as the starting CB package makes my dangly bits shrivel up.

2. Sims-
I feel for this guy. First, the elbow injury. And then just when he seemed to be giving the game we thought we had drafted, another injury. Come to think of it, I feel for the fans more than for him. Stinking holdout bastage! The lack of pressure in the interior is going to hurt us. A lot. Hopefully, the Chiefs are looking for a widebody they can sign for the interim. We are woefully thin at DT already.

3. Roaf-
No one is going to replace Roaf, but at least we have some depth with which we can plug the Roaf-sized hole. The toss sweep play needs to be put aside for this week. It is simply not going to be as effective without Big Willie in there. Musical Linemen, anyone?

4. Richardson-
I love the way Richardson plays the game. I love seeing him pancake those Linebackers. But his loss is not as impactful [is that a word?] as the rest. Cruz is no Richardson. But he will have to do. The loss of Richardson indicates more Johnson and less Holmes to me. What do you think?

xoxo~
Gaz
Putting aside the rose-colored glasses.

Swanman 09-13-2005 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

3. Roaf-
No one is going to replace Roaf, but at least we have some depth with which we can plug the Roaf-sized hole. The toss sweep play needs to be put aside for this week. It is simply not going to be as effective without Big Willie in there. Musical Linemen, anyone?

If we can get the passing game going early, I say the Chiefs should use the draw and screen pass liberally with Priest to get him going in lieu of the sweep plays.

Chiefnj 09-13-2005 06:41 AM

What I think.

Yards - I agree, who cares. The problem was the wide open receivers who had corners and safeties beat; luckily they dropped the ball. Since it was the second half and the Chiefs D was in a semi-prevent mode it is really inexcusable to let the receiver get past the defender. Everyone should have been kept in front of the defender.

Disappearance of the O - I tend to disagree. Prior to Roaf going down sweep runs to the right weren't going anywhere. They were working like a beauty to the left. After Roaf went down the running game went back a notch as did pass protection. Toward the end of the first half I think the Chiefs got a little lucky that Green didn't get pummelled.

Surtain - I agree. With a concussion it might be best to let him rest this week rather than risk another head injury that will sideline him for more than one game. Let the docs decide.

Sims - His loss hurts a little bit. If the Chiefs had kept a few more DT's and had some rotational depth I wouldn't be as worried, but after keeping only 4 guys (including Siavii who doesn't even get activated) I hope Browning and Dalton don't break down.

Roaf - I think this is the biggest loss. I think we'll see more LJ runs up the middle and more 2 TE sets.

Richardson - Great lead blocker but doesn't offer much in terms of running or catching the ball anymore. The Chiefs could get more production out of Cruz in terms of yardage. Again, you might see more 2 TE sets with Dunn blocking.

Gaz 09-13-2005 06:46 AM

Good point...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman
If we can get the passing game going early, I say the Chiefs should use the draw and screen pass liberally with Priest to get him going in lieu of the sweep plays.

I think we should do that more in every game. We need some trickery with the toss sweep. Fake the toss and throw the other direction or some such. Sure, the toss sweep has been gold for the Chiefs, but predictability is a Bad Thing.

xoxo~
Gaz
A big fan of confused Enemies.

Inspector 09-13-2005 06:55 AM

Roaf worries me the most..and Surtain.

Heck, it all worries me. I think a lot of Trent's effectiveness is a result of Roaf. He is a huge anchor for the O line.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for all of them. With our starters all healthy, this team could be pretty hard to beat. Seems that way so far anyway.

Mr. Kotter 09-13-2005 07:00 AM

Injuries suck, but they are part of the game.

I suspect Surtain will play, unless he has a history of concussions. No Sims, means we do need to sign SOMEONE....and play more 3-4. Roaf's injury sucks, and I do think it means more LJ. I also think Green, Gonzo, and the WRs could be in for a busy and good day--considering how that secondary looked against the Patriots. Richardson's loss disturbs me, but we can game plan around that for a week or two in a pinch.

We'll see Sunday night, I guess.

Hammock Parties 09-13-2005 07:05 AM

Without Roaf, I guess we're going to find out if TJ is really right about Stent Green. :hmmm:

Mecca 09-13-2005 07:09 AM

I think we can get by this game without Roaf, the Raiders have no great pass rushers to worry about. Hopefully they can gameplan around TRich being gone because we're gonna need to run alot unless we plan on winning with 45 points.

Surtain and Sims hurt quite a bit, if Surtain doesn't go this week, we're gonna have to win 45-40. I'm hopeful he can play this week based on all the reports I've heard so far. Khari Long's roster spot should probably be going to a DT that we sign right now. I don't think we can get away without another one when Sims is going to be gone that long.

cdcox 09-13-2005 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

1. Surtain-
You do not mess with concussions, but I sure hope he is up for playing this weekend. I do not believe anyone is going to shut down the Raiders passing game by CBs smothering the WRs. However, the idea of McCleon, Sapp & Washington as the starting CB package makes my dangly bits shrivel up.

I agree that we are not going to blanket the Raiders wide-outs. The way to beat the Radiers is to take away the run, get up to an early lead, then pummel Coillins. However, having Surtain back there is definitely desireable because it is exactly these kinds of situations that he can make the pick, where our other "cough" DB could be leaving someone open enough to serve as a 15-yd safety valve. I'd really like to have Surtain back for this game.

cdcox 09-13-2005 07:16 AM

I think if Richardson and Roaf are both out, that really affects the running game dramatically. If only one of them were out, you might try your normal run game, but with both I agree you have to make some adjustments, such as the suggestion to run LJ between the tackles more. I also agree with the suggestion of getting Priest involved in the passing game, ala 2002 and 2003.

morphius 09-13-2005 07:17 AM

Saunders was on 810 this morning saying that they changed up the scheme a little in the second half with the loss of Roaf, went to more of a quick passing game and more running to try to help the tackles out against a couple of "number one picks". Plus they had about 25 packages with Kris Wilson in them they didn't use because they didn't want to put any more pressure on the tackles.

I think I have to disagree with Gaz's rankings however, as I think Roaf is easily the number two in importance, and maybe even 1b to Surtain's 1a status. He is the guy that protects Green's blind side, and in the red zone it is him that we run behind.

SDChief 09-13-2005 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
Injuries suck, but they are part of the game.

I suspect Surtain will play, unless he has a history of concussions. No Sims, means we do need to sign SOMEONE....and play more 3-4. Roaf's injury sucks, and I do think it means more LJ. I also think Green, Gonzo, and the WRs could be in for a busy and good day--considering how that secondary looked against the Patriots. Richardson's loss disturbs me, but we can game plan around that for a week or two in a pinch.

We'll see Sunday night, I guess.

Maybe now is a good time to work that LJ/Priest in the backfield together look that they were talking about this summer. Not really to always use LJ as a lead blocker, but just to have the two headed threat back there. I'm sure LJ could make some yards out of the FB draw that TR gets one or two times a game.

KCTitus 09-13-2005 07:20 AM

Missing Roaf is the biggest worry. That hammy problem wont go away this season.

htismaqe 09-13-2005 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
Missing Roaf is the biggest worry. That hammy problem wont go away this season.

Thank you, Vlad.

Mr. Kotter 09-13-2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChief
Maybe now is a good time to work that LJ/Priest in the backfield together look that they were talking about this summer. Not really to always use LJ as a lead blocker, but just to have the two headed threat back there. I'm sure LJ could make some yards out of the FB draw that TR gets one or two times a game.

LJ's blocking has improved, and while he's no TRich....he's certainly big enough to play the position.

Imagine the opposing team's OC having to contend with LJ as a capable blocker AND runner, in the SAME backfield as Priest. :drool: