ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Laid Off yesterday (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258452)

Dayze 04-14-2012 01:47 PM

Laid Off yesterday

:#
Was wrapping up my monthly and quarterly project final reports at the end of the day, and my office manager asked me to come to his office for a quick meeting. I thought nothing of it as its pretty routine to do so...to talk about the financial health of various projects, revene, earned value etc.

Took my notes in there with me, then he says "well, I wish this was a meeting for good news , but it's not unfortunately". Handed me a termination letter and we talked for a good 45 minutes.

The layoff wasn't performance related, but rather a result of us not getting awarded several new contracts as anticipated etc. so corporate, in Virginia, started making decisions.

Good news, I suppose, was he said he will write a recommendation letter, or speak to anyone about my work. Also he said he was confident a lot of our Project Managers I supported would do so as well.

He said he appreciated my attitude on the situation. I wrapped up a few loos ends for my PMs before o left. Luckily, I get two weeks severance. Not a lot, but Better than nothing. When I was laid off in 2008, I didn't get jack. And that sucked.

I guess it's the nature of the beast in a project based environment.
Oh well. Happy Friday the 13th for me. Uhhhg.

Anyone know of anyone in need of a project controller?:huh:

LiveSteam 04-14-2012 01:59 PM

A bunch of unneeded stress is a huge fricken bummer in ones life. Hopefully something bigger & better comes of it.

L.A. Chieffan 04-14-2012 02:00 PM

That sucks but look at the bright side, more time to do cool stuff.

Dayze 04-14-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8540662)
A bunch of unneeded stress is a huge fricken bummer in ones life. Hopefully something bigger & better comes of it.

Thanks man. That's the attitude I'm taking.

mnchiefsguy 04-14-2012 02:01 PM

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will find a new, better place of employment soon. Hang in there and keep your chin up!

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2012 02:06 PM

Sorry to hear this. Good luck!

I was let go 3 weeks ago.

Bowser 04-14-2012 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear this, Dayze. Best of luck in finding a new path.

Donger 04-14-2012 02:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding a new position.

Are you intent on staying in KC or are you willing to relocate?

Dayze 04-14-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8540677)
I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding a new position.

Are you intent on staying in KC or are you willing to relocate?

I'll need to stay in kc

LiveSteam 04-14-2012 02:15 PM

This Proxy Bid company hear in Omaha. They are going places. Maybe check them out?

Im sure they have offices in the KC metro

Bowser 04-14-2012 02:18 PM

What is your field of expertise, Dayze?

Dayze 04-14-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8540688)
What is your field of expertise, Dayze?

Started out as a contract coordinator, project coordinator and sit acquisition coordinator in building out cellular towers, capacity upgrades etc.

Then sprint bought our company and iwent to Black and Veatch as a project controller. Financial reporting , revenue forecasting etc.

Last gig was as a controller for an environmental company which worked With the EPA, Army Core of Engineers etc.

Bowser 04-14-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8540692)
Started out as a contract coordinator, project coordinator and sit acquisition coordinator in building out cellular towers, capacity upgrades etc.

Then sprint bought our company and iwent to Black and Veatch as a project controller. Financial reporting , revenue forecasting etc.

Last gig was as a controller for an environmental company which worked With the EPA, Army Core of Engineers etc.

Christ, we need MORE of your jobs. Ever been between St. Joe and the Iowa state line on I-29? You have dick for cellphone reception there. Same in Central Mo.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a Jack of All Trades thing going on.

JonesCrusher 04-14-2012 02:26 PM

My advice; Alcohol and lots of it.

You're welcome in advance.

Fritz88 04-14-2012 02:54 PM

Good luck. Good things are ahead.