ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Showdown in the Show-Me State (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=8214)

kcchiefszoo 10-05-2000 11:32 AM

Can we beat the Rams? I think we have a 50:50 chance (I realize every game is theoretically 50:50, but those are genuine otter-compiled odds.)

My biggest worry, after beating Raiders of course, it the fact that our secondary is so inexperienced past Hasty and Woods. Because of that there is a good chance we'll never leave nickel or dime defense that may leave Faulk open to run all over. Pat Dennis or Eric Warfield on Holt, Bruce or Hakar also scares me. Any insight, ideas or comments how to prepare a defense for the Rams.

If all else fails Hicks could knock Warner out with a dislocated torso or something like that.

[This message has been edited by Otter (edited 10-05-2000).]

Mi_chief_fan 10-05-2000 11:33 AM

The thing about the Ram's game is, it is after the Raider game. I wish the Ram's game wasn't after an arch-rival. Teams very seldom play very good after the arch-rival. I really hope this isn't the case this time.

------------------
bk

badger 10-05-2000 11:42 AM

This may sound crazy, but why not take a chance when playing the Rams. Would play a 4-1-6 defense.
Four down lineman, rushing passer on every play.
One linebacker - Edwards, whose only task is to follow and kill Faulk on every play.
Six defensive backs - Hasty, Dennis, and Warfield playing close up Man to Man coverage on three wide outs. 3 deep zone behind them with Walker, Atkins, and Wesley, coming up to make a HUGE hit when ball is caught, and stop the big play keeping everything in front of them. 3 deep zone would be a rotating/rolling zone based on the side of field looks like the play will be run. Should also keep tight end in check.

Let Faulk try to beat us on the ground. Seriously doubt that he alone can put up 40 points in a game. Running the ball at 5yrds a pop, takes time off the clock, and give offense opportunity to make a mistake or penalty that will end a few drives.

Lets not let them beat us with 4 or 5 big plays, running past our linebackers like they are standing still. Match speed with speed!

mikey23545 10-05-2000 11:46 AM

Redd,

That sounds like a very good plan to me.

I also feel the Chiefs should take chances.

My feeling is the Chiefs are probably going to lose anyway, so they should throw a boatload of bombs. They should keep on throwing. Who knows what might happen?

mikey23545 10-05-2000 11:49 AM

If they do get lucky on a few of those bombs and by some miracle get a 14 point lead, then they can start pounding the ball to try to consume the clock and keep the Rams off the field. Everyone has been able to run on the Rams.

The Chiefs defense is definitely going to have to help out in the scoring dept.

wutamess 10-05-2000 11:49 AM

Red till Dead-

Yeah, it sounded crazy at first, but the more I consider the alternatives, the less crazy it sounds. This is an idea that deserves more careful consideration. I need to mull the concept over some more before I call you nutz.

xoxo~
gaz
intrigued.<BR>

kcchiefszoo 10-05-2000 11:52 AM

I like that idea idea as well red-till-dead.

I would be willing to bet they never saw that scheme before and it would have to adjust.

Cormac 10-05-2000 12:04 PM

red, the thought does have merit.

We'd give up lots of intermediate yards but hopefully be able to stuff them at least part of the time in the red zone.

Somebody get Gun on the line.

shakesthecat 10-05-2000 12:07 PM

Uh..Red? Did you inadvertantly omit Jerome Woods from your game plan? Or do you actually plan on sitting our only experienced Safety on the bench?

Remove Bracey Walker, put Woods on the field where he belongs, and I'm all for it!!

What the he!! do we have to lose, other than the game, which we really shouldn't win anyway, right?

badger 10-05-2000 12:11 PM

My primary hope is that with close man to man coverage (most teams afraid to play) with zone help behind, would force Warner to hold the ball just a little longer. Get a few of those "bone crunching" hits on him.

Secondly with three safeties have a better chance to put a good hit on their wide outs when they do make a catch. A few pops from Wesley and Atkins should make them think twice coming across the middle on those slant patterns that can go for 70 yards.

Would much rather see Faulk try to beat us on the ground. See if he can take the punishment of about 40 carries.

shakesthecat 10-05-2000 12:13 PM

Any defensive coordiator who can force the Rams to RUN 40 times, deserves a Congressional Medal of Honor!!!

Holy Crap, can you imagine?

------------------
[b]ct
Give TRich the Ball!!!</B>

badger 10-05-2000 12:13 PM

coryt,

OOOPPPPPS. My mistake. Yes we would certainly use Woods over Walker. Bringing in so many secondary folks, forgot one of our best players.

shakesthecat 10-05-2000 12:15 PM

I had to give you the benefit of the doubt, Red!

Diggin so deep on the depth chart, it's understandable.

ct

kcmax 10-05-2000 12:27 PM

My fear isn't so much the 2ndary getting hosed by the plays of the Rams personnel. my fear is that Gun/Schott/Shaw coming up with an aggressive coverage scheme and the Rams flagging their way down the field for PI. I really think our focus has to be getting to the QB. I am not out-and-out saying that the refs will be biased, but I can envision their scrutiny tightening is this 'explosive O' is thwarted in the passing game. The ticky-tack PI calls will start flying fast and furious. We'll swear mighty-mouse and Dishman were in our D-backfield again.

AustinChief 10-05-2000 12:33 PM

4-1-6? A new concept?

Hardly...it's called a DIME defense, otherwise known as the "prevent [you from winning]" defense...

And ironically enough, it may just work if you were to use it for SIXTY MINUTES!

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>