ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   College people: How to make your paper longer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159514)

Silock 03-08-2007 09:30 PM

College people: How to make your paper longer

I thought this was pretty clever:

http://break.com/index/really_useful_paper_tip.html

Ebolapox 03-08-2007 09:43 PM

courier new, size 12, 1.25 inch margins also works, or so I hear :spock:

OnTheWarpath15 03-08-2007 09:46 PM

Rep.

You just scored me an extra 3 lines on a paper on the Three Classical Arguments for the Existence of God.

Thanks.

Basileus777 03-08-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
courier new, size 12, 1.25 inch margins also works, or so I hear :spock:

Changing the font type is extremely obvious, especially courier new. It is a clever trick, too bad the professors I have this this term like to set word instead of page minimums.

morphius 03-08-2007 09:53 PM

I once changed the margins top, bottom, sides. It was also double spaced, so I made it 2.2 spaces instead of just 2 lines. It was sad, but it added enough to make my 8 pages into a "close enough to 10" page paper.

Silock 03-08-2007 09:54 PM

Most of my professors use a ruler or require that you submit your paper via e-mail so they have the original copy. Using little tricks like this is just more likely to get you in trouble than anything else. Regardless, it's still pretty nifty :)

noa 03-08-2007 09:54 PM

A friend of mine put clip art in his paper once and the prof liked it.

HolmeZz 03-08-2007 09:55 PM

My professors check the margins and all that stuff, so that usually doesn't work.

Never heard of this period trick though. Not sure how it does that, but I'll give it a try on my next paper.

OnTheWarpath15 03-08-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
My professors check the margins and all that stuff, so that usually doesn't work.

Never heard of this period trick though. Not sure how it does that, but I'll give it a try on my next paper.

Mine too. Every prof I've had this semester told us they check margins, spacing, font size, etc.

I've been inspecting the "old" paper and the "new" paper and I can't tell....and I know what I'm looking for.

Ebolapox 03-08-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777
Changing the font type is extremely obvious, especially courier new. It is a clever trick, too bad the professors I have this this term like to set word instead of page minimums.

yeah, I know... I generally don't worry about page length, all of the profs I've ever had worried more about quality than quanity (as long as it at least came somewhat close to the minimum length)

BucEyedPea 03-08-2007 10:05 PM

I know s/g much better, and not noticeable.

1) Use your regular period, double-spacing, but use a font with a high x-height.
(that's the body of the type as in the lower-case letter x) these take up more room than fonts with narrower x-heights.

2) Add to this, if you can in the program you're using some wider spaces between characters. Usually it's called "kerning" when you remove spaces to make the text fit but when you add it's called "letterspacing." So add some wider letterspacing. Don't go hog wild, as it will get obvious and can be too hard to read if you do that. It really can add quite a few pages.

Heh! Heh! Heh!

Now if the teacher was smart they'd require the thing by number of words or characters instead of pages. BTW, I teach and require papers too. I can spot BS.

Valiant 03-08-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa949
A friend of mine put clip art in his paper once and the prof liked it.

I have done that a few times...

If you really want to make a paper beefy... It is simple and the professors love you for it, just quote stuff and do it properly..
Hell if you quote a paragraph you have to indent it on both sides.

Sam Hall 03-08-2007 10:17 PM

The difference in those periods was obvious. Any professor would catch that.

BucEyedPea 03-08-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Hall
The difference in those periods was obvious. Any professor would catch that.

I agree. Thought that was silly. It had to be a joke.

cdcox 03-08-2007 10:30 PM

Another prof, here.

I hate reading papers, so I usually specify a maximum length rather than a minimum length.

This period trick acutally changes the space in between lines (try it in Word). If I was anal about page length, I would use a ruler to measure the spacing between lines and the characters per inch and would catch this in a second. If I determined that the deception was intentional I would penalize the hell out of you. No one wants to be played for a fool.