ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

penguinz 01-01-2014 07:34 PM

*.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*

Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.

Silock 01-01-2014 07:42 PM

DEJA VU, MAN. DEJA VU!

Hammock Parties 01-01-2014 07:43 PM

+10 lbs on my lifts this morning.

Leveling up.

Braincase 01-01-2014 07:44 PM

I have to do something.

Funny thing... with my wife's illness and surgery (doing pretty well, thanks), she's down to where she was when we got married 18 years ago.

It's a good kind of weird lying in bed next to her and putting my arms around a much smaller woman.

Demonpenz 01-01-2014 07:49 PM

It is always good to get endorphies going as well

Hammock Parties 01-01-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 10326988)
I have to do something.

Eat less, move more.

TribalElder 01-01-2014 07:51 PM

I should participate moar

lewdog 01-01-2014 07:59 PM

My hamstring injury is still lingering.....

Demonpenz 01-01-2014 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.

penguinz 01-01-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10327034)
Used to lift in "the Hell" when I was younger. I was back to the place to lift a bit today.

WTF is that? I am going to have nightmares now.

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:03 PM

Starting keto Monday. Must not look at scale.

penguinz 01-01-2014 08:05 PM

I hope to get back to the gym on monday. Been sick twice in the last two weeks and the week before that was a planned off week. :(

Demonpenz 01-01-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10327038)

cold ass prison with weights

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10327038)

The G unit

lewdog 01-01-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10327041)
Starting keto Monday. Must not look at scale.

Why are you doing this? Competition?

Do your lifts suffer without carbs or do you work in refeed days?

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10327072)
Why are you doing this? Competition?

Do your lifts suffer without carbs or do you work in refeed days?

I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Demonpenz 01-01-2014 08:24 PM

My lifts were good low carb, I do sleep a ton though.

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10327086)

The guy was setting pr's on keto.

lewdog 01-01-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10327082)
I just want to give it a shot and see what happens for now. I've never really done it before. I've heard both ways on the lifts. There is a great thread on pro hormone forum by one of Patrick Arnold's reps that has a ton of info. I'll link it later.

Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

lewdog 01-01-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Well it does matter how advanced a lifter you are. Newer lifter are able to keto longer and keep lifts up much easier than advanced lifters who are scrapping for 5-10lb strength gains over 4-8 week periods.

BigCatDaddy 01-01-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10327106)
Well I do think it matters if you're "assisted" with being able to extend the low carbs and keep lifts up without refeeds or needing less of them.

Lol. Yeah I'm sure it does. I'll post up how it's going every few weeks. Maybe some pics just for you ;)

Silock 01-02-2014 12:01 AM

Well, when the reps are lower, you also don't need carbs as much (or at all, really).

I'm deloading this week. Shoulder is a bit ****ed up right now, so I want to give it a break. I set some PRs last week, anyway. Right knee MCL is still strained, so I bought a brace. We'll see if it helps when I play tomorrow night. If not, I may be looking at some extended time off.

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

BigCatDaddy 01-02-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10327825)
Low Carb =/= keto. I did keto once, never again. Lost some strength and just looked flat as hell overall. Now I just take in carbs pre & post workout only. I have heard that keto works well if you just after purely strength and are working in the 80-90% 1rm rep range. Not sure why anyone who is serious about building muscle would try to avoid insulin though, you need it.

How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

BigBeauford 01-02-2014 08:46 AM

Finally broke the 10 minute per mile mark on a 4 mile run @ 9.53 per mile pace. Keep chopping away!

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10327877)
How long did you run it for? I read the muscle fullness eventually returns.

About 8 months. I ran a 'cleaner' version of the Anabolic Diet (basically a CKD). The fullness returned on the weekends, when I was allowed a carb-refeed day. If you not taking in carbs, you will burn through your muscles glycogen stores, hence the flat look. It will not replenish it fully without eating some carbs, which is why I think targeted keto diet or just low(er) carbs is a better option. There's a lot of good read out there on carb back-loading, or just eating them around workouts. The basis is that while insulin is low, glucagon is high, which means your burning fat for energy. Then you up the insulin around workout times via carbs. Doesn't have to be a lot, 50g pre & post is more than enough for most lifters with a day desk job.

There are a lot of good lower carb options out there.
Targeted Keto Diet - carbs around workout only
Cyclical keto diet - carb refeed day once a week (usually a weekend day)
Carb back-load - carbs only AFTER workout

Ketosis is not really needed on any of these, keeping control of insulin is what is important.

ping2000 01-02-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10327034)

Where is the hole where you keep the girl and the bottle of lotion?

Simply Red 01-02-2014 10:36 AM

I'm on the machines at my complex for probably all of January - then I'm looking to gym it up. I'll outgrow what we have here pretty darned soon.

Also yesterday I went to Panera Bread and ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad - double chicken add egg. Protein injection yo.

Silock 01-02-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10327825)

Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Aspengc8 01-02-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10328124)
Protein will spike insulin, too. Especially whey. You won't be able to stay in ketosis all day, anyway. But protein will not keep you out of it for as long as other foods would.

Yeah whey will, but obviously not as much as a high carb meal. The bulk of calories on keto need to come from fat anyway, so whey shouldn't even be on the menu. Fatty steaks with blue cheese crumbles FTW.

NewChief 01-02-2014 05:25 PM

Been lazy in the latter half of 2013 (averaging maybe 2 days a week in the gym). Going to do like all the other New Year dorks and recommit.

BigCatDaddy 01-02-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10328227)
Yeah whey will, but obviously not as much as a high carb meal. The bulk of calories on keto need to come from fat anyway, so whey shouldn't even be on the menu. Fatty steaks with blue cheese crumbles FTW.

Mmmmm bacon!

ThaVirus 01-02-2014 05:52 PM

Been getting some pretty insane upper body pumps after workouts lately. I'd pay to keep that shit year round.

.. Speaking of, does anyone hear ever get a lower body pump?

Silock 01-02-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10329074)
Been getting some pretty insane upper body pumps after workouts lately. I'd pay to keep that shit year round.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3WCvULMRUq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jiveturkey 01-02-2014 06:54 PM

The gym was a total nightmare. It was crawling with new faces and all them doing weird ass exercises they probably saw in a magazine.

Pick up a barbell!

luv 01-02-2014 06:59 PM

Why isn't this called the weightlifting thread?

Silock 01-02-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10329195)

Because there's a weirdo in here that likes to do Crossfit.

lewdog 01-02-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

I really don't know what else would be discussed besides weights? Anyone can get on a treadmill or bike...their isn't much skill and teaching in that.

BigCatDaddy 01-02-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

If you ain't lifting weights you ain't doing it right.

MahiMike 01-02-2014 08:53 PM

How do I lose 20 lbs? It was only 12 before the holidays. I plan on quitting drinking and trying to poop more.

penguinz 01-02-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10329477)
How do I lose 20 lbs? It was only 12 before the holidays. I plan on quitting drinking and trying to poop more.

Wash some exlax down with Miralax three times daily after eating a tapeworm?

Buehler445 01-03-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10329253)
I really don't know what else would be discussed besides weights? Anyone can get on a treadmill or bike...their isn't much skill and teaching in that.

There has been a good deal of running talk and nutrition talk.

Omaha 01-03-2014 08:41 AM

I took my very first ice bath the other day. Dayum. That was more helpful than I anticipated. Do any of you guys ever do that?

Demonpenz 01-03-2014 08:58 AM

Russian shower is where you dump ice on your head. People say it works, but I haven't seen science back it up.

Omaha 01-03-2014 09:35 AM

I was in for 15 minutes. Just the waist down. I would think dumping ice on myself whilst in the shower would be something completely different.

Simply Red 01-03-2014 09:37 AM

I added weight last night - things are going well - I like my pace, going to need to actually join a gym w/in a month or so.

I'm thrilled to have this lifestyle back, this summer could very easily be off the curb. Lots of hot girls here in this condo.

Demonpenz 01-03-2014 10:16 AM

I went out to eat yesterday and had chicken and two servings of broccoli. It wasn't very fun, but it filled me up. I am willing to sacrifice short term yum for long term munching on pussy yum...ammIright?

Simply Red 01-03-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10331176)
I went out to eat yesterday and had chicken and two servings of broccoli. It wasn't very fun, but it filled me up. I am willing to sacrifice short term yum for long term munching on pussy yum...ammIright?

you're gosh damned right you're rite!!!!

Predarat 01-03-2014 11:12 AM

I'm pretty bad at fitness.

BigCatDaddy 01-09-2014 10:55 AM

Today marks day 4 of Keto and it's starting to feel a little easier today, but damn if yesterday wasn't a bitch to get through. I'm going to go pick up some keto strips tonight and see if I can't make those bad boys change color.

Side note. Anybody ever try Provigil? I have an online supplement retail company and Blackstone Labs just game out with a product with a precursor(Adranafil) to Provigil in it. So it will convert to Provigil. It sounds very interesting. Like your brain on steroids. I've thought about sending bottles to a few posters here that appear to need that :)

Here is an interesting ABC news article on it. My stock comes in tomorrow and I figure I'll give it a test run for kicks. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/provigi...ry?id=16788001

Simply Red 01-09-2014 11:09 AM

chking in - still on it - still plan to join a gym soon - most likely a simpleton w/ 24 hr access.

Peace.

mr. tegu 01-09-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10357488)
chking in - still on it - still plan to join a gym soon - most likely a simpleton w/ 24 hr access.

Peace.

Planet Fitness isn't the most hardcore but it is by far the cheapest. $100 for a year. The location we go to is only open 24 hours during the week though.

Demonpenz 01-09-2014 11:25 AM

I hate gyms that aren't 24/7 365/

Aspengc8 01-09-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10357462)
Today marks day 4 of Keto and it's starting to feel a little easier today, but damn if yesterday wasn't a bitch to get through. I'm going to go pick up some keto strips tonight and see if I can't make those bad boys change color.

Side note. Anybody ever try Provigil? I have an online supplement retail company and Blackstone Labs just game out with a product with a precursor(Adranafil) to Provigil in it. So it will convert to Provigil. It sounds very interesting. Like your brain on steroids. I've thought about sending bottles to a few posters here that appear to need that :)

Here is an interesting ABC news article on it. My stock comes in tomorrow and I figure I'll give it a test run for kicks. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/provigi...ry?id=16788001

I wouldn't even waste money on the ketostix. You can be in ketosis and not even register 'trace' amounts in your urine. You body will be burning them for energy, which is what you want anyway. You will notice things like the way your sweat & urine smells, anyway. Keep an eyeball on your strength levels, if its dropping thats not a good sign. You should lose some endurance, but shouldnt lose much strength unless your protein % is too high. I think 60/40 is the safe maco split for fat to protein calories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10357518)
I hate gyms that aren't 24/7 365/

The only gym I hate is planet fitness. What kind of gym outlaws the squat rack because it is 'intimidating'? Its a ****ing gym!

penguinz 01-09-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10357462)

Let me know how teh Adranafil works!

el borracho 01-09-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Pretty easy to get a pump in your quads. If you are not, then you probably need to do more reps (in each set, not necessarily more sets). Or you can try drop sets; or you can try supersets; or you can try flexing the muscle for 60 seconds immediately after each set.

What are your goals and what are you doing currently?

penguinz 01-09-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Put 135 on the bar and get in 100 reps in as few sets as possible. Parallel or lower or the rep doesn't count.

big nasty kcnut 01-09-2014 10:33 PM

except for the bitter cold i have been working out thou what a good cure for legs tightening i have to move around at my job and need something to help me move got anything

BigCatDaddy 01-09-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 10358680)
except for the bitter cold i have been working out thou what a good cure for legs tightening i have to move around at my job and need something to help me move got anything

Your legs are cramping at work?

Simply Red 01-09-2014 10:59 PM

I would like some ab exercise suggestions please, ones in which nothing else it required.

Simply Red 01-09-2014 11:00 PM

Or could you maybe just re drop the link or suggest what page Abs would be discussed....?

ThaVirus 01-09-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10358610)
Pretty easy to get a pump in your quads. If you are not, then you probably need to do more reps (in each set, not necessarily more sets). Or you can try drop sets; or you can try supersets; or you can try flexing the muscle for 60 seconds immediately after each set.

What are your goals and what are you doing currently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10358671)
Put 135 on the bar and get in 100 reps in as few sets as possible. Parallel or lower or the rep doesn't count.

I was just curious because I've never gotten a noticeable pump in my quads or calves after a workout. I didn't know if there was some kind of anatomical difference between leg muscles and your chest/arms or if I'm just not working hard enough..

ThaVirus 01-09-2014 11:20 PM

Anyway, I've been low-calorie ing it up for the last few days. I had tried to bulk up the "wrong" way and just didn't like the amount of fat I developed on my belly. So the plan is to shave off the few pounds I stored up in that region and start over doing it with lean meats and veggies and things.

I want to be bigger but I'd rather be lean and healthy.

Simply Red 01-09-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Epsom salt bath buddy. Epsom Salt - Get it at Target or Walgreens - if you go to Walmarts, I'm kicking your ass at or near the George Brett statue at the K this, next season.

Got it!

big nasty kcnut 01-09-2014 11:28 PM

Dude I don't fight this gore my health and bath salt I'll give that a try

Simply Red 01-09-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 10358732)
Dude I don't fight this gore my health and bath salt I'll give that a try

i'm jokin with ya bud :thumb: - yes buy some and make the bath fairly hot - should help.

Buehler445 01-09-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Stretch before you go to bed. Eat bananas. Drink lots of water.

Buehler445 01-09-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10358708)
I would like some ab exercise suggestions please, ones in which nothing else it required.

Are you looking for alternatives to sit-ups or what?

Simply Red 01-09-2014 11:46 PM

Hi Silock,

I have to know - do you still have days you eat a whole bag of oranges? can you explain the benefits of that?

Silock 01-10-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10358708)

Ab rollouts on a wheel.

You're better off doing complex movements, though. I haven't done ab specific exercises in nearly a decade.

Silock 01-10-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10358751)
Hi Silock,

I have to know - do you still have days you eat a whole bag of oranges? can you explain the benefits of that?

Yes.

No benefits other than I like oranges, and it fits my macros and gives me energy. I don't consume a ton of oranges and then consume a ton of other sugar or carbs on top of that, though. If I eat that many oranges, that's basically my carb intake for the day.

They also take up a lot of room in your stomach, being mostly water and fiber, so they really fill you up and keep you full for a while.

Simply Red 01-10-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10358807)
Yes.

No benefits other than I like oranges, and it fits my macros and gives me energy. I don't consume a ton of oranges and then consume a ton of other sugar or carbs on top of that, though. If I eat that many oranges, that's basically my carb intake for the day.

They also take up a lot of room in your stomach, being mostly water and fiber, so they really fill you up and keep you full for a while.

that's cool - i only mess with those and pineapple, I don't venture too far out w/ sweets even the natural stuff.

Aspengc8 01-10-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10358727)
Anyway, I've been low-calorie ing it up for the last few days. I had tried to bulk up the "wrong" way and just didn't like the amount of fat I developed on my belly. So the plan is to shave off the few pounds I stored up in that region and start over doing it with lean meats and veggies and things.

I want to be bigger but I'd rather be lean and healthy.

If your trying to put size on, your going to put a bit of fat on, no matter which way you cut it. Maybe start with a lower surplus, like +250 cals over mtce and work your way up from there. Your body doesn't exactly work in '24hr cycles', so make sure your still eating a good amount on 'off days'.

Aspengc8 01-10-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10358724)
I was just curious because I've never gotten a noticeable pump in my quads or calves after a workout. I didn't know if there was some kind of anatomical difference between leg muscles and your chest/arms or if I'm just not working hard enough..

It's probably the latter. What does your leg day look like? Leg press & Hack squat machine with your feet closer together, as well as walking lunges or bulgarian split squats should pump the shit out of your quads.

penguinz 01-10-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

For a lot of people legs tend to benefit more from high reps. I feel much more from a day of high rep sets with less weight over doing high weight and low reps.

el borracho 01-10-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Yes, there is a difference between your legs and the muscles of the upper body- your legs are much larger, much stronger and can handle a larger volume of work. Try upping your rep range on legs to 12-20 reps.

BigCatDaddy 01-10-2014 09:50 AM

Starting day 5 of Keto today. Today I feel pretty good.. almost a euphoric type feeling. Awake, alert, and my body feels light. I feel like I'm getting a much deeper sleep at night as well. Granted I'd let my diet and training slip quite a bit lately.

ThaVirus 01-11-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 10358910)
If your trying to put size on, your going to put a bit of fat on, no matter which way you cut it. Maybe start with a lower surplus, like +250 cals over mtce and work your way up from there. Your body doesn't exactly work in '24hr cycles', so make sure your still eating a good amount on 'off days'.

I had mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I basically tried to bulk by eating as much shit as humanly possible. Literally, just eating non-stop all ****ing day; and I'm not talking lean meats and veggies, I'm talking entire pizzas and adding four slices of butter bread to every dinner type stuff. Another thing I tried was drinking chocolate milk every day. I'd down a quart each day and that was roughly 800 calories by itself. I've never been one to count calories or anything but I'd imagine I was easily taking in over 3,000 every single day.

So I ended up gaining around 10 pounds in roughly a month and added another 5 pounds by the end of the next month. I've read that optimal muscle synthesis can only realistically reach around 2 pounds per month so I'm guessing about 90% of that weight was fat, and it really showed on my stomach.

Now, I want to get rid of this fat and start over the right way. I'll try and up the intensity on my leg workouts as well but that shit ****ing sucks, man. I hate leg days. Love the feeling of accomplishment when it's over, but really can't stand it.

Simply Red 01-11-2014 10:09 AM

i had a cheat day yesterday and took out a Son of Baconator - It was disgusting, horrible cheat choice.

I have to say though, I'm very pleased w/ my results thus far, I'm on pace to look dynamite by summer time.

Hammock Parties 01-11-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10361009)
i had a cheat day yesterday and took out a Son of Baconator - It was disgusting, horrible cheat choice.

I have to say though, I'm very pleased w/ my results thus far, I'm on pace to look dynamite by summer time.

You realize you can still eat one of those and lose weight in a day, right?