ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bradford worse than expected (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213476)

orange 09-07-2009 02:17 PM

Bradford worse than expected

OU 1-2 weeks away from timetable for Bradford's return
Posted by John Taylor on September 7, 2009 1:37 PM ET

Not only is it unclear as to when Sam Bradford can return from his shoulder injury, Oklahoma is still a week or two away from even setting a timetable for the quarterback's return.

And that's not even the worst news for the Sooners.

According to Sooner head coach Bob Stoops, Bradford is suffering from a Grade 2 or Grade 3 sprain of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder, not the minor Grade 1 sprain the program was hoping for.

Based on an article appearing on Tulsa World's website yesterday morning, that could potentially be season-crushing news for the Sooners -- assuming the words "Grade" and "Type" mean the same thing. (Is there a doctor in the house?)

Athletes can usually return to sports from the most minor form of the injury -- known as Type I -- in 1-2 weeks, according to emedicine.com, a Web site powered by WebMD. It's unclear if a quarterback with an injured throwing shoulder could return in that time frame.

Type II cases are more severe and can require the shoulder to be immobilized for up to a month, according to the Web site. After that, an athlete would be forbidden from heavy lifting for 6-8 more weeks.

Type III cases are even more severe and can require surgery.

In other words, if the initial diagnosis of a Grade/Type 2/II or 3/III sprain is confirmed, Oklahoma will be without the services of the reigning Heisman winner for a very long time.

Even Stoops seems fully aware that Bradford could indeed be sidelined for an extended period of time.

"A lot of it depends on how he heals and how he feels as he's healing here through the week," Stoops said. "In the end, it's going to be a while before we know what the plan will be."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...dfords-return/

Tribal Warfare 09-07-2009 02:22 PM

He'll be out 4 to 6 weeks

WilliamTheIrish 09-07-2009 02:22 PM

Those surgeries are painful and for the most severe types the surgery is a screw that is driven into the AC joint. I don't have any clue how severe Bradford's injury may be. But him being lost for the season would not surprise me one bit.

Skip Towne 09-07-2009 02:24 PM

The Tulsa TVnews said it is possibly season ending and could be enough for his insurance policy to kick in.

acesn8s 09-07-2009 02:25 PM

I heard 2-4 weeks after the injury happened. I haven't heard anything that disputes that claim.

OnTheWarpath15 09-07-2009 02:25 PM

http://i32.tinypic.com/k98heu.jpg

WilliamTheIrish 09-07-2009 02:26 PM

I should clarify that the surgery I'm talking about is for chronic seperation and usually not done on folks like Bradford.

Tribal Warfare 09-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesn8s (Post 6042973)
I heard 2-4 weeks after the injury happened. I haven't heard anything that disputes that claim.

that's a very optimistic estimate an AC type 2 sprain is about 4 to 6 weeks at worse 6 to 8.

WilliamTheIrish 09-07-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 6042983)
that's a very optimistic estimate an AC type 2 sprain is about 4 to 6 weeks at worse 6 to 8.

If he misses that much time I'd guess they'd shut him down for the year.

Mr. Krab 09-07-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 6042990)
If he misses that much time I'd guess they'd shut him down for the year.

Medical redshirt?

sooner season is over, but hey, at least they get to keep Bradford next year now. :)

WilliamTheIrish 09-07-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab (Post 6042993)
Medical redshirt?

sooner season is over, but hey, at least they get to keep Bradford next year now. :)

Krab,

When they lost the QB a few years back (took money from a car co), the team moved Paul Thompson from back to QB from WR and still won the Big XII. Stoops has a pretty good track record of scrambling in this manner.

And if I'm Bradford, I'd protect that arm. As I understand it the guy could be a great golfer. If he can't continue his football career, then I'd do everything I could to protect that shoulder.

But I'm 100% speculating.

EDIT- Bomar. Rhett Bomar was the cash QB.

Reaper16 09-07-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab (Post 6042993)
Medical redshirt?

They already could.

Skip Towne 09-07-2009 02:47 PM

Bradford is a good golfer but not pro quality. At least not yet. The US Amateur was held in Tulsa this year and he wasn't in it.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-07-2009 04:45 PM

Texas V Missouri for the gusto. Interesting.

gblowfish 09-07-2009 05:11 PM

Since when did grades mater at OU?