ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I hate the Royals front office (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139223)

ChiefsCountry 04-19-2006 02:52 PM

I hate the Royals front office

This is just getting out of hand. Glass grow some nuts can Baird, or keep him and run the team like a real baseball team should be run. This is NOT Wal-Mart where cheap young and old workers cut it. You have to actual talent to make it work. :cuss:

Sully 04-19-2006 03:03 PM

I'm all for Baird going.
But Glass is the main problem. Until he decides to sell the team, whoever is "at the wheel" will have the same nag sitting next to him refusing to allow him to run the team correctly.

chiefqueen 04-19-2006 03:13 PM

Check this out:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforu...p?topic=8663.0

Old Dog 04-19-2006 03:19 PM

I hope you aren't looking for many arguments.

FloridaMan88 04-19-2006 03:23 PM

I hate Carl Peterson more

nychief 04-19-2006 03:34 PM

aweful.

CoMoChief 04-19-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88
I hate Carl Peterson more

Most people do because most KC fans now are more passionate about the Chiefs than they are the Royals. Now it hasnt always been like that. The late 70's and 80's KC was almost strictly a baseball city. As much as I hate Carl Peterson and the bone head asshole things he does a GM, he's alot better than anyone the Royals have had since Ewing Kauffman and company were around.

Carl Peterson has at least gotten us to the playoffs in the last decade or so, as the Royals concern, I can't even remember the last time we finished over .500. Maybe 1993? I dont know.

Peterson has drafted a fair share of HOF players in Tony Gonzalez, Will Shields, Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith maybe and you also have to consider Larry Johnson in there someday even. Now obviously that CBA in the NFL and the revenue sharing system helps small markets like the Chiefs out, which baseball doesn't have and probably never will. So I guess you would have to cut the Royals front office some slack.

As far as Royals ownership goes, if anyone here had as much money as Glass and were to buy the Royals, I doubt that you would dip into your pocket and sign some big name guys. Every team in professional sports is ran like a business, the owners buy teams for a reason and thats to make money. Everything in porfessional sports is about money and it would be stupid to disagree with that. Now should Glass pay a more to the guys that we developed that eventually turn into all star calibur players like Damon Dye and Beltran? Probably all of us would say yes, but then again Beltran wanted a shit load of money and I can bet that no one here would wanna pay him the kind of money he wanted if it came from your pocket. Now should they have decided to make Sweeney THE guy to pay and to build around? **** no, he sucks and has marginal power and is hurt for at least a 1/4 of the season every year.

Some could also argue that the more good players we have and the more we win, the better attendance will be and more money will be brought into the team. In the 80's Kansas City loved the Royals, and attendance was alot better then than it is now due to the fact that we won alot then. No one wants to watch a team that gets their asses kicked night in and night out.

The sad thing about all of this is that the Royals will never be good again IMO as long as Glass is around. Even though I cant blame everything on him because of the fact that theres no cap in baseball. But the thing that hurts the Royals the most is that as soon as our farm players develope into good players in the majors, we trade them for more future prospects that most of them end of staying in the minors for most of the time. Welcome to small market baseball folks!

RP_McMurphy 04-19-2006 04:06 PM

Well Baird drafted a fruit cake in Zach Grineke does that count?

beavis 04-19-2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully
But Glass is the main problem. Until he decides to sell the team, whoever is "at the wheel" will have the same nag sitting next to him refusing to allow him to run the team correctly.

On what, exactly, do you base this?

petegz28 04-19-2006 04:14 PM

I used to blame Glass too. I still do to a point. but let's face it...he let's Baird pick and choose who we sign and who we do not. I lay this season squarley on Baird and Bell to a lesser extent.

Much the same as I blame Peterson and not Lamar Hunt

Glass uped the $'s this year and who did Baird go and sign?

shakesthecat 04-19-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
On what, exactly, do you base this?

Not to answer for Sully, but...

It's been rumored that Glass blocked a proposed deal with the Angels for Sweeney last year.

Yeah, I know, could just be talk radio or message board BS. But I've heard it enough places to think it may have some teeth.

shakesthecat 04-19-2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28
Glass uped the $'s this year and who did Baird go and sign?

It's not that simple anymore. The top FA's won't even consider KC, and most of the 2nd level guys like Paul Byrd will take less money to play for a contender.

The ass pounding Baird took in the Dye, Damon, and Beltran trades are the reason KC's present is what it is.

Baird's inability to draft and develop talent is the reason KC's future is so bleak.

He needed to be fired 4 years ago.

CoMoChief 04-19-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakesthecat
It's not that simple anymore. The top FA's won't even consider KC, and most of the 2nd level guys like Paul Byrd will take less money to play for a contender.

The ass pounding Baird took in the Dye, Damon, and Beltran trades are the reason KC's present is what it is.

Baird's inability to draft and develop talent is the reason KC's future is so bleak.

He needed to be fired 4 years ago.

You mean to tell me that trading Carlos Beltran for John Buck isnt a fair trade??? :banghead:

shakesthecat 04-19-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPimpDude
You mean to tell me that trading Carlos Beltran for John Buck isnt a fair trade??? :banghead:

But....but...he hasn't struck out all year!

Sully 04-19-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakesthecat
Not to answer for Sully, but...

It's been rumored that Glass blocked a proposed deal with the Angels for Sweeney last year.

Yeah, I know, could just be talk radio or message board BS. But I've heard it enough places to think it may have some teeth.

This is exactly one of the things I was thinking. It's rumor, but you hear it enough times, and... you know... where there's smoke... (Kinda like a Tanner's waitress getting knocked up???)

Also, another rumor is that Glass is taking in, from MLB around $50 million per year. He denies it, of course, but I've heard it enough that I lean toward believing it's true. If that's the case, why is our payroll, at a "raised" level this year, still lower than it was 10 years ago?

The only excuse, since I refuse to believe that Glass is just in this to make money, is this:
Glass has been the leader of the fight against big-market teams. He only got a little compromise last time the CBA was coming up, toward what he wanted. If he uses that compromise to its full ability to build a contender, where will he go toward shifting things more his way the next time negotiations come around? It's a poor plan, since we know he's making more money than he's spending, but it's all I can come up with.