ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football First down Laser - Yay or nay (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269203)

-King- 01-22-2013 11:58 PM

First down Laser - Yay or nay

League continues to resist in-stadium first-down laser
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2013, 9:39 PM EST

The NFL desperately wants to enhance the in-stadium experience. But the NFL continues to resist an innovation that would make watching the game in person a lot more like watching it at home.

For years, the technology has existed to implement a laser system that would make the line to gain visible to everyone in the stadium — including the players, the coaches, and the officials.

Now, with more and more fans choosing to watch on TV, this system helps duplicate the technology that is available during the broadcast of every game.

“We have not been convinced that it would work for us, but we are open to further discussion after the season,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Associated Press.

The laser is embedded in the orange sticks separated by 10 yards, and the company that makes the device has received financial backing from legendary kicker and broadcaster Pat Summerall.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vlXpQxS5i9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buck 01-23-2013 12:00 AM

I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if that company perfected the art, but **** yes it should be, as long as it cant get in anyone's eyes and distract them.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2013 12:00 AM

We wouldn't want things to be too clear. Questionable ball placements and measurements are better.

-King- 01-23-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9343434)
We wouldn't want things to be too clear. Questionable ball placements and measurements are better.

Has nothing to do with any of those.

chief52 01-23-2013 12:05 AM

If you are at the game all you have to do is look for the bright orange down markers...like we have for years. The reason they are so helpful on TV is we can not see the down markers.

Totally not needed if you ask me.

-King- 01-23-2013 12:06 AM

Yeah, I don't think they're needed either. But most people on PFT seem to think they're a great idea.

cdcox 01-23-2013 12:11 AM

You will see a lot more fumbles as players stretch with the ball to get a first down. At the goal line this isn't as much of an issue since it is a TD once the ball breaks the plane. I think it would hurt the quality of the game.

Buck 01-23-2013 12:12 AM

ITS THE ****ING FUTURE...ACCEPT IT NOW.

baitism 01-23-2013 12:13 AM

Then we can just put something in the ball that lets you know if it crosses the line. Like a dog shock collar without the shock.

I see both sides. But, anything that makes the game easier for the refs is better for the game, because they are consistently terrible.

Bump 01-23-2013 12:16 AM

meh

Sofa King 01-23-2013 12:19 AM

Don't complain when you get what you ask for. You'll be regretting this decision after the first player trips over it and gets a concussion.

AussieChiefsFan 01-23-2013 12:39 AM

If there's no drawbacks then definitely.

|Zach| 01-23-2013 12:47 AM

"First down chains could be eliminated. This could shorten the game while adding extra time for commercials"

Because that is what the NFL needs. More commercials.

J Diddy 01-23-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 9343466)
Don't complain when you get what you ask for. You'll be regretting this decision after the first player trips over it and gets a concussion.

Oh shit. I was all for it until I realized that the lasers were death star lasers.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 12:51 AM

I've thought for a few years they should put RFID chips in the tips of the ball. It wouldn't be foolproof, but it would allow for more precision than the status quo.